• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotmustardsauce

Reaction score
Cost me $220 for the shoes + a pair of trees shipped.

Quality wise i think the goodyear welted english variants are superior but i really like the burnishing on these.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tracked down Hendricks at Dan Murphy's = $59

I am here to tell you it works well with Vermouth as a martini, very dry with a slice of baby cucumber.

It works as a G&T with a slice of cucumber or lemon

It works neat with an ice block and slice of cucumber.

Looks like a large old fashioned medicine bottle.

Tastes wonderful.

My doctor wrote me a prescription
For milk, cream and alcohol
My nerve was so bad
I couldn’t rest
I couldn’t sleep all at the night

I don't need no doctor - send my favourite nurse - I need milk, cream and alcohol

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a wonderful Friday so far:

1) Christian from Herringbone called me to let me know my C&J Sydney's had arrived for me to try. When I got there, he did a fantastic job of polishing the toe caps of my Guildfords and said he's willing to give me a lesson in how to get a mirror shine - my attempts at this so far have resulted in slightly shiner shoes rather than a mirror. While I was there, I got to meet Tarang (known as TheBrownMan over here) and it was a real pleasure speaking to them both - they clearly love what they do and it really shows in their dealings.

2) After that, it was off to Rekaris to get my newly stretched Mortimers - I can finally wear them and enjoy the experience. I don't have to sell them!

All in all, a great start to my weekend on this beautiful sunny Melbourne day!

cheers.gif

Selvaggio

Reaction score
If you can handle the orgy of consumerism that is the Wish magazine (the coulour supplement to The Australian) , there is quite an interesting feature on Michael Bastian.

They are also running a promo with Mr Porter offering free shipping to Australia for the next two weeks - which is good becuase their normal shipping rates are CRAZY PRICES! Use MRPORTERWISH.

For something completely different... can I mention my latest adventure in ultra-cheap shopping. The Oxford Shop at DFO (Homebush) had suede desert boots for $37.50 last weekend. Super high quality they are not BUT, for the price of gourmet pizza, you get a very plain, nicely shaped boot made in China. Light contrast stiching around the sole. Smooth suede in chocolate, cigar or sand. Lined with pig skin. Crepe soles (not very thick). Thus...

What do ya reckon? Should I go back and get another colour?

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the start to a great weekend Gerry Nelson. I would love to know how you find the fit of the Sydneys (and how much they cost?). I am keen to get a pair of loafers when Christmas, New Year and all those expensive times are out the way and the C&J Sydneys are top of the list. I keep getting mixed messages about the fit though...knowledge of your experience would be great.

Enjoy the shoes.

truevision

Reaction score

For something completely different... can I mention my latest adventure in ultra-cheap shopping. The Oxford Shop at DFO (Homebush) had suede desert boots for $37.50 last weekend. Super high quality they are not BUT, for the price of gourmet pizza, you get a very plain, nicely shaped boot made in China. Light contrast stiching around the sole. Smooth suede in chocolate, cigar or sand. Lined with pig skin. Crepe soles (not very thick). Thus...

What do ya reckon? Should I go back and get another colour?

I've got the same boots but in the sand colour, would've preferred the chocolate ones but they didn't have any. They are quite good for the price

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tracked down Hendricks at Dan Murphy's = $59
I am here to tell you it works well with Vermouth as a martini, very dry with a slice of baby cucumber.
It works as a G&T with a slice of cucumber or lemon
It works neat with an ice block and slice of cucumber.
Looks like a large old fashioned medicine bottle.
Tastes wonderful.
My doctor wrote me a prescription
For milk, cream and alcohol
My nerve was so bad
I couldn’t rest
I couldn’t sleep all at the night
I don't need no doctor - send my favourite nurse - I need milk, cream and alcohol

Seeings its Friday and been too long an effing week I'll raise the ante " barman por favor "

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In fashion news I took my carminas in to Rekaris on tuesday to talk about toe protection. Personally I'm not a fan of the plastic or metal taps that are the usual solution. I don't like how they can become separate at the toe and I tend to demolish the plastic ones in a few wears.
We ended up deciding on doing a Topy toe piece. I picked them up yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the result. It's maybe 4cm of topy sole stuck just at the toe to act as a tap. I didn't want to go with a full topy because I the weight of the camrinas (very light) would be have been thrown out of balance.
The cost was $15 so it's a bit more expensive than a the plastic taps but I really like it as a solution. Something to keep in mind for those looking for a different type of toe protection.

If you want flush metal toe taps, you can send them to B Nelson Shoe Repair in the United States. They'll be able to do it for you. Alternatively, if you opt for the front sole half topy using Topy Elysee (1.8mm) which, to my knowledge, is the thinnest on the Australian market, and have the cobbler bevel the edges of the soles, it's quite undetectable and has no profound impact on shoe balance. There are arguments for and against topy-ed soles retaining more moisture, but they're not really worth getting into..

Plastic taps suck.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like the start to a great weekend Gerry Nelson. I would love to know how you find the fit of the Sydneys (and how much they cost?). I am keen to get a pair of loafers when Christmas, New Year and all those expensive times are out the way and the C&J Sydneys are top of the list. I keep getting mixed messages about the fit though...knowledge of your experience would be great.
Enjoy the shoes.

There is never any substitute for trying on yourself. Pop in store and see what you think. I'm here till 7 tonight, or over the weekend. Do you know what size you would approximately take in the C&J 341 last? FWIW, I wear a 9E in the 348, but would opt for an 8.5F in the 341 last (Sydney loafer), not enough width in the 8.5E and the 9E is too long. As with any non-cordovan loafer, a moderately snug fit is ideal because there will be stretching and moulding as you wear them in.

slider17

Reaction score
hey

first time poster. what do u guys use to ship goods from online stores that don't ship to freight forwarding companies.
im looking at purchasing goods from levis and other US based sites, but they don't ship to most of the common FF companies.

any recommendations?? u can pm me if u don't want to list company names here.

thanks

Last edited:

jobro

Reaction score

hey
first time poster. what do u guys use to ship goods from online stores that don't ship to freight forwarding companies.
im looking at purchasing goods from levis and other US based sites, but they don't ship to most of the common FF companies.
any recommendations?? u can pm me if u don't want to list company names here.
thanks

Try Shipito's assisted purchase service.

slider17

Reaction score

Try Shipito's assisted purchase service.

I am aware of Shipito's Assisted Purchase Service but what i am after is one where u don't pay extra fees. Click and Buy. No middle man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads