Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Where are you located?
    Of course, the best thing is to go into your nearest Herringbone store - if there is one near you - and have a look at it and try it on.
    As far as I'm aware, all of their suits are of reasonable quality and so it should be fine, as long as you don't mind narrow lapels on the jacket (they do have models with wider lapels, too). Another option to consider is MJ Bale, as their "classic" line of suits is around the same cost, from memory. However, their only stores at present are in Sydney (as the Brisbane pop-up store just "folded down"), so it's a bit harder to try on MJ Bale suits unless you are in or near Sydney.

With respect, I don't think that it's a good idea for someone to order a self-measured, made-to-order suit over the internet as their only suit or one of their only suits, particularly if they don't have a big budget and have time constraints. There are simply too many things that could go wrong - time delays, measurements being off, details being misunderstood and so on. In such circumstances, it's better to try to find a well-fitting, off-the-rack suit and have it tailored to fit or, if getting a cheap made-to-order suit, at least get it from a bricks-and-mortar store where someone else does the measuring and (hopefully) takes responsibility if something goes wrong.

2. Philip

Philip Senior member

I agree, but i'm just assuming he is aware of all the risks if he's already thought about getting a mtm suit for under 500 online, because no brick and mortar store would do it at that price.

Also, if apple has a standard body that fits OTR well then suitsupply is worth considering if Herringbone doesn't work out.

3. apple3210

apple3210 Well-Known Member

thanks for the opinions guys.

unfortunately i require a slim fitted suit.

even harder trying to find shirts that aren't MTM :(

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

"I'm waiting for my man sixty dollars in my hand( Inflation), up to Dan Murphys Footscray, feel sick and dirty more dead than alive, I'm waiting for my man"

yes well no wonder the English called Gin Mother's Worry in the 18th century.

I was a fan of Bombay Sapphire until i tried Hendricks, both are fine for imbibing, I just wish we could have a few hot languid days where one could sit on the porch at twilight with a large G'n'T.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

5. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Watch out if Lou hears about this, he'll have you for breach of copyright! :D

6. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Tanqueray No 10 is very nice.

Went to Japan at the beginning of the year and brought home a bottle of Nikka whisky from their Yoichi distillery - now saddly almost gone.

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hey guys, thanks for all the shoe suggestions. I'll let you know what I end up getting.:)

8. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

[​IMG]

Recent purchase off endless during the cyber monday sale - magnanni romas.

9. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Tanq 10 is great for martinis.

A hendricks martini is a bit of fun also. Slice of cucumber instead of the usual olive.

Anyone in melbourne interested in Whisk(e)y should check out Chez Regine on Lonsdale Street. Outstanding selection of whiskies from all over the world at very reasonable prices. The staff there also really know their stuff and will help out with suggestions.

In fashion news I took my carminas in to Rekaris on tuesday to talk about toe protection. Personally I'm not a fan of the plastic or metal taps that are the usual solution. I don't like how they can become separate at the toe and I tend to demolish the plastic ones in a few wears.

We ended up deciding on doing a Topy toe piece. I picked them up yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the result. It's maybe 4cm of topy sole stuck just at the toe to act as a tap. I didn't want to go with a full topy because I the weight of the camrinas (very light) would be have been thrown out of balance.

The cost was $15 so it's a bit more expensive than a the plastic taps but I really like it as a solution. Something to keep in mind for those looking for a different type of toe protection.

10. lennier

lennier Senior member

Concur. I also searched for ages for a gin that I had in a great martini once but couldn't recall the name of. I think I finally found it - Martin Miller.

11. dallo

dallo Member

Brokers Gin - reasonably priced and is well up there with Tanq10, if not better.

Get ur misses onto Hendricks with Watermelon, she'll love you even more!

12. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

So I don't have toe protection on any of my shoes, none of them are that old at this stage, but is this something that I'm going to regret?

13. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I think it depends on your gait. I've got a pretty agressive toe flick it seems (perhaps caused by the speed I walk at) so after a few wears I was almost at the welt at the tip.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much did they set you back?

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I have the same problem. Some form of protection is essential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.