Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hey everyone, would love opinions on the best bang for buck brown or black captoe shoes, either plain stitched across or with a punched toe cap?

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Yeah, what does everyone drink in summer? I'm not much of a drinker myself, so I feel that I don't have much to offer in this respect.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

4. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I'm a pretty ferocious beer drinking. In summer I look forward to drinking plenty of the following styles

• pale ales (more of an all year option but the're really at home in summer in my opinion)
    • Wheat beers (both lighter german hefes and belgian wits) but leave the doppelbocks in the cellar
    • quality lagers. These are the hardest to find I feel. Macs Hoprocker and Boatrocker Hoppbier are good ones. Smaller breweries have some good small batch stuff. Good pilsners are really your safest bet in this category.
    • Interesting versions of the above. I think the best example of this was a beer called 'cucumber sandwich' by Mountain Goat for an event at the Local Taphouse in St Kilda and Darlinghurst in feb this year. It was a summery beer with cucumber infused into it and served with a stick of cucumber when you ordered. It was very different and very refreshing

As mentioned I also love a good gin & tonic. I'm also slowly learning to love a good white. Having friends that know more than myself about wine is good.

I don't wear captoes often but I've got a pair of these that have served me well for more conservative business events and weddings.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Loake Aldwych from Pediwear with Loake club discount.

6. Jimbosaurus

If you want a medallion toe and the ones here fit you then they're a good option.

For preclick info, it's barneys sale of some C&J models. Down to ~400 with $40 shipping to Australia.

7. jobro

jobro Senior member

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue on sale (shoesexpress.com.au) or Alden Straight Tip. I don't have a pair of cap-toes from C&J but they would probably compare well with the Alden's.

8. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I'm not a drinker, and can't touch alcohol on the medication I'm on at the moment (methotrexate), so I like a nice cold ginger beer on a hot day :)

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Or Loake Aldwych from Herring Shoes with HSAB promotion code which includes free shoe trees.

BTW if anyone here is a size 11 there are a pair of black Weymouths in the Melbourne Herringbone CBD store that will be yours for $600.

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

I don't like to drink one drink regularly but if I am out somewhere unfamiliar to me, it will be a G&T for me.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have recently discovered the joy of English alcoholic Ginger Beer only 4% very nice served chilled, or Hendricks and Tonic with a slice of cucumber

Anyone know if Two Dogs is still in existence haven't seen it on a tap or even in a bottle shop for ages.

12. Jimbosaurus

My dad doesn't drink so he always has a stock of ginger beer in the house around this time of year. Even when there is beer as an option I often find myself going for a bundaberg ginger beer, it's just so refreshing. Interestingly you can actually get bundaberg over in the the US if you're ever visiting. I was talking to the owner of a pizza restaurant in SF and he raved about how good the stuff was.

On a side note I know drugs like methrotexate can be pretty rough. My sister has had to have similar for some time now. I hope you're doing well.

13. truevision

truevision Senior member

Or the Loake Dorchester for a slightly sleeker look if that is what you prefer

14. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Actually yeah, go with Herring--the free shoe trees are frickin awesome (the Pediwear ones are povvo)

15. truevision

truevision Senior member

what shoe trees do Herring give?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.