Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Depends what you want to wear them with. As mentioned before, I have a pair of cap-toes in cigar and it is both richer and lighter than it appears on that site. It is literally the colour of a cigar. Alden pair cigar with the lighter 'plywood' looking soles. So, overall, cigar is more casual - in fact, I feel it a little casual for my workplace - though I do wear it with mid greys and my one 'lighter' navy. The #8, however, you could wear with just about anything...hard to get a matching belt though.

I wonder why they are different prices?

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Thanks guys! I'll probably get Color 8 because as you mentioned Selvaggio, it will likely pair with more things and can be worn in a somewhat dressier fashion. I have both colours in different shoes at the moment, and the cigar does appear lighter than it does i those photos.

The Cigar often comes with an antique edge trim, which is nice. It looks nice on Color 8 shoes too. As for the different prices between colours of shell, it's to do with the fact that certain colours of shell (cigar, ravello, whiskey) require more "perfect" or uniform shells to begin with. The non-porous nature of shell makes it difficult for these lighter colours to mask the imperfections in the shell and so you'll end up with a splotchy result. As for black and colour 8, they cover it up it seems.

Belt isn't a big issue cause I never wear one :D

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Everybody's favourite whinger and rent seeker Gerry Harvey is spouting his nonsense again and blaming the guvmint for his woes.

One of the rewarding aspects of reading the drivel that Harvey lets slip is gaining an insight into how retailers gouge Australian customers.

A simple person, like myself, might be led to conclude that if a year ago Harvey Norman was selling TVs for $699 that now sell for $299, then perhaps a year ago we were being charged $400 too much for a TV. Thats about 230% excess.

''The price of everything has just gone crashing down, and that's really affected our business so we're concentrating now on other products, and TV and audio has to take a smaller percentage of our shop,'' Mr Harvey said.

Not that it will be easy making any transition from computers and electronics, which have been a big part of the company's business, he said.

The problem is, the price erosion has become so bad the retailer can no longer contemplate selling its way back to a healthy position.

Mr Harvey used the example of a 32-inch colour TV advertised recently for $299. ''We were selling those things for $699 a year ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/harvey-blasts-canberra-20111129-1o557.html

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

4. truevision

truevision Senior member

What colour is that knit tie that everyone else has? Called up the Chadstone store to ask if they have any knit ties, dont think the SA had any idea what they were..

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

5. lennier

lennier Senior member

Exactly fxh, and I am equally simple. The man is becoming his own worst enemy lately, very amusing.

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

Originally it was the plain burgundy one, lately the burgundy with navy stripes has been grabbed by some.

7. fox81

fox81 Senior member

is there a shoemart sale im not aware of?

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

No one bloody likes him. The vitriol on The Age article's comments section is universally shared. He wants the whole country to go into the type of deep debt that he encourages his customers to take on to buy his overpriced crap.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Money mustn't buy happiness. He seems like a miserable c#nt.

10. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

my partner has a couple of their shirts, and she complains that the button aligment is wrong, meaning when her boobs stretch them, there's a gap which you can see through.

don't see the problem myself :D

more seriously, I'd been told their new range was going to be in-store on the 28th (i.e. Monday) so was planning to get the PoW check blue suit that's all over their marketing material at the moment, but no joy.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Mahler 2 did live up to expectations, interesting interpretation of it. Ashkenazy is a very animated conductor I feel exhausted at the end just watching him. Good to hear Michelle DeYoung live, she preforms on the Boulez Mahler 2. And it does bring to a close the two year Mahler cycle.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Which store is this at? There was nothing going on at the Collins St shop next to the Rialto.

13. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

they posted & emailed a thing to mailing list members. I assume later in the week it will be 40% off for everyone.

14. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, MickyD.

On another note, does anyone know a good dry cleaner in Melbourne cbd that can dry clean a 3 roll 2 button blazer without pressing down the lapels to make it a 3 button blazer?

15. Gerry Nelson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.