Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

How do Alden's sizes compare to C&J - upsize by a half? I haven't been brave enough to order any American shoes yet and so am lacking in shell shoes.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

It depends on which Alden last you're talking about. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. This might help: http://thediscoursecircus.tumblr.co...last-shall-be-first-deciding-which-alden-size

Have your foot measured on a Brannock device to determine your US size and then go from there. For comparison, I wear a 9E in the 348 last (C&J). In Alden, I wear a 9.5D on the Barrie last. Now, US width measurements differ from UK (although all UK manufacturers don't use the same standard, either). A "D" is Alden's medium or normal width, whatever one calls it. The Barrie last is also considered to be one half size bigger. For reference, I measure somewhere between a 10 D or E on the Brannock, but find the Barrie last to be wider than it claims so an E width would be too wide for me.

What size are you in C&J and on what last? Also, shell cordovan runs a little bigger in fit than calfskin, but also won't stretch like calfskin..

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

^^^ Thanks for the link. I take a 9.5E in the 348 last for C&J so I guess I would then be a 10D on the Barrie? That would then make be a 10.5D in other US sizes going by that chart.

4. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

Have any of you guys tried Ganton Bespoke?

5. meister

meister Senior member

Barrie is effectively a size bigger in US than the normal size mainly through width. In my case I am US10.5E or better 11D/E as I use an orthotic. I wear a UK10 anytime and often fit UK9.5G which is the same as happens with the Barrie last. I find the Plaza last to be my most comfortable shoe fit BTW of all my shoes though Loake in 10F is also great.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

6. meister

meister Senior member

Are the Antichi Telai linen suits at AUD450?

7. meister

meister Senior member

I have used all the above polishes. I must say I agree on Saph Renov for shell though Venetian Creme is the best and recommended by Horween. I find that Kiwi still gives the best polish to good shoes FWIW. I think it is better than Angelus for instance.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Kiwi and Wapro both started off in Melbourne. Nothing wrong with either.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

I spotted a juicy Harris Tweed, with Harris tag, by Sears USA in a vintage shop. $55. Size 40 R . Single vent. Buggy lined. Wide ish lapels, fantastic colours, multiple colours Ina herringbone weave. Brown, gold red and others , looked great. I spied one small hole in back. A bit bigger and I would have snaffled it for sure. Also a big bunch of pink RL polo Oxford button downs 100% cotton. Most slightly used. One Brooke's white Oxford BD looked a bit grubby possible NOS.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Anyone interested in the Rhodes & Beckett sale on today & tmrw?

11. lennier

lennier Senior member

I have one of their shirts that I got for my wedding back in pre SF days. It fits well but I don't know how their current prices compare to the alternatives. Collars and cuffs appear to be fused but general workmanship seems ok to my relatively uncritical eye. Louka was nice to deal with, I didn't meet Dani.

12. thebrownman

Only if there's an SF-approved knit tie up for grabs. Perhaps a pocket square. Their shirts and suits don't interest me, but 40% off is certainly a good offer. Anyone know anything about their women's range? My girlfriend needs to acquire a work wardrobe.

13. thebrownman

14. macklondon

macklondon Member

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.