Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Don't write a H/Bone concession in Canberra off just yet. I still have a contact inside their who said that it may well happen in the future. They have pretty bold ambitions for expansion from what I hear. Still, for the 3 hour drive to Sydney, I find myself up there enough these days for it not be too much of an issue. There is also Ken Cook's, which have a bit of Zegna and Canali also and are well established. The guys in Blades are pretty snobby too and I must say John Hanna has gone down quite a bit in the last 5 years.
    Sorry (and no offence intended to anyone) but the staff in John Hanna creep me out somewhat. The man who served me was just too oily and unpleasant - kept thinking he was going to lean in an lick my neck. [​IMG] Dunno whether you got the Fast Show in Aus but tad too reminiscent of my experiences in JH The stock isn't good either, IMHO, though I'll obviously bear them in mind when I finally turn into an ageing, permatanned lothario (more Fast Show: ) I've done ok in the Blades sale on occasion - don't mind them in there, actually.

2. that_80s_guy

that_80s_guy Active Member

They look very similar to the Spanish made house-brand shoes sold by Arthur Galan and Farage. I assume those are made by L'Stony?? I picked up a pair of AG Spanish-made specs on sale for <$200 and I think they were a good buy at that price. Blake stitched (looks like), hidden stitching on the sole, leather lining, ok quality leather, stylish last.

I probably wouldn't buy them at full retail (~$400), but on sale I think they are value, and a more stylish option than Loakes, and so far they have been pretty durable, though I'm sure they eventually won't be as bullet-proof as Loake 1880s would be.

Great guys, thanks for the feedback. They are on sale now for $300, the retail on them according to the sticker is $450.

3. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Can anybody please pass on some advice for a SF noob around shoe shopping in Melbourne.

I did a quick run about town today and looked at a few shops that have sales on, but really couldnt tell if anything was really worthwhile. Based on my earlier post, I am hoping to pick up a quality pair of black dress shoes to act as a foundation of a few decent pair of shoes?

I had a look at:

• DJ's (not too much there)
    • Mark Muir on Elizabeth St (didnt recognise the brands)
    • Mc Cloud Shoes on Queen St (no sale)

Any suggestions or advice?

Budget is around the A$300 mark.

4. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Rembrandt make fairly nice trousers... They have machine pick stitching on the fly front and around the pockets and they are finished nicely inside around the waistband and inside pocketing and they have ad seperate crotch piece. As far ad I know they stll made in new Zealand. I don't think much of their suits though they usually pick sone nice fabrics.cad usual the suits ate quite boxy. The trousers I have owned have held up well over the years and have outlasted the trousers I have bought from lands end.
    R
    I don't think much of Rodd and gunn. They do occasionally have nice shoes or ties or leather goods and occassionally they have a fairly nice sportscoat or something but generally it's nit that good really.

There's a duffle coat by Rodd and gunn for 450 im considering. Though it's only 49% wool...

Thoughts?

5. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

only if the other 51% is cashmere or gold

No, it could be ok. Pics?

6. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

http://www.roddandgunn.com.au/Shop/P...0EDEN%20DUFFLE

Though the sleeves fit much longer on me. It looks better in person, but I have no idea whether the quality is really there. Wanting a classic duffle coat - no 'modern touches' that I see on every other duffle coat. This is the only 'classic' one i've found.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Rodd &amp; Gunn are waaaayy overpriced. It's not even 100% wool, so for something similar and for a lot less you could check out somewhere like Roger David (some stuff is ok for casual, but only because the price is right).

8. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

All you aussies and expats, check out the Australian Babas V England tonight live via web streaming. It's a little something I may or may not have something to do with! haha http://www.foxsports.com.au/livestream From 9pm AEST

9. that_80s_guy

All you aussies and expats, check out the Australian Babas V England tonight live via web streaming.

It's a little something I may or may not have something to do with! haha

http://www.foxsports.com.au/livestream

From 9pm AEST

What is this "rugby" you speak of? They use something that kind of looks kind of like a proper AFL football, but the game keeps stopping every 4 seconds??

10. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

It probably hasn’t hit Perth yet; give it a decade or two. It's a game played all over the universe by million, unlike aerial ping-pong. Actually I take that back, calling it aerial ping-pong discredits ping-pong. [​IMG]

11. CBJimmy

CBJimmy Member

For those in Melbourne:

David Jones has sales on: no sales on RM Williams products though
    RM Williams Melbourne Central: a few select shoes on sale around $270 mark (mostly womens)
    Mc Clouds: A small section on sale. Didn't really look at them though. Loakes and RM Williams not on sale at this store.

12. that_80s_guy

It probably hasn't hit Perth yet; give it a decade or two.

It's a game played all over the universe by million, unlike aerial ping-pong. Actually I take that back, calling it aerial ping-pong discredits ping-pong.

[​IMG]

Your argument of "heaps of people play it, it must be good" is a sound one. Particularly when you consider that other massively popular sports around the world include badminton, handball, bocce and..yes...ping pong! Not to mention such gems as nascar and motorcross. I have no valid retort to suggest these are not also edge-of-your-seat thrilling spectator-fests!!

I will stick with the other uneducated punters who still appreciate human athleticism, speed, skill, and strategy [​IMG]

As you say though, give it time. The Perth Bandwagon Club have only just settled into their new found love of that other dumb sport where you kick a round ball and pretend you dont have any hands.

13. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

Can anybody please pass on some advice for a SF noob around shoe shopping in Melbourne.

Any suggestions or advice?

Budget is around the A$300 mark.

Shoe situation in Melb = not good.

Agree there's not much at DJs but take a look at the Loakes. There is a nice whisky brogue and a lace-up boot. At $450 --> $300 they are a reasonable quality shoe that meets your budget. They are very wide fitting. You will probably come down at least half and probably a whole size.

Mountfords in Bourke Street is a shadow of its former self. Mostly cheap and fugly but I bought a very plain extremely soft leather lace-up with rubber heel and sole Sioux for $100 (were $300). I don't expect great life from them but as I rarely wear black shoes they fill a gap. Quite a bit of what's on sale there now will end up much cheaper on the clearance table in a couple of months.

Florsheims are 30% off at DJs but there is not much in the Royal Imperials. I've had much better luck at the Florsheim shop on the corner of Bourke and Russell. They often have 30% sales and sometimes you will find a few odd Royal Imperials made in Spain at a much better discount. The rest, such as Imperials made in China, are awful.

Good luck. You'll need it.

14. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

80s Guy Please see below a post from another sporting thread
    Aussie Rules in nothing like nfl.. I would love to see some nfl players come play league or union. A few did in the 70s and 80s and got absolutely dusted! It's a completely different game.. Having said that, no aussies could play NFL (Except the punters and kickers which you guys keep drafting from the AFL) Like I said.. Chalk and cheese.. Its not taking away from any code.. i watch league and union religiously and nfl, football and afl way too much!
    I like both games. You really should be a little more open minded about things you know little about. Argumentative new comers like you don’t get too far Enjoy the game everybody else.

15. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

Anyone know a decent alternative to clark desert boots which I can try on/buy locally? Basically a smart casual boot that is comfy. The last boots I returned to the UK cost $90 i return postage.

Walking to Wynyard today I was overtaking a fairly well dressed guy, nice suit but the shoes... long and pointed. He was struggling to walk, he had to kick his foot out with the toe pointed upwards to avoid kicking the ground.

Will check out Bawden Bespoke next week, they do shirts for $100 - $140 mark. Made in Singapore, but they measure you up in their shop in Sydney. Read on my work intranet that we get 10%, and I need some shirts. Anyone ever used them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.