Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

There is a Ralph Lauren DFO at the Essendon DFO en route to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. Some good purchases can be had there. Herringbone doesn't have an outlet, but there is 30% off on cotton suiting at the moment if that's what you're after.

2. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

To your first point. Not matching the tie is good advice, in fact making sure not to match anything up there is a good with an exception for a white linen square with a white shirt. Personally I don't follow any rules on such things. I just stick various squares in there for a few minutes and go with whatever I think looks best.

also, pics of Sam Hober ties!

I'm pretty sure I've seen PL accessories in the Collins St store (the knit ties in particular). No idea about suits though.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Nope. Not really. RL outlet at Essendon DFO, Hugo Boss Outlet in Preston, and the completely pointless Armani and Burberry outlets in Southwarf DFO.
    The only place worth a shot is still Azzaro (I'm still drooling over that pair of Canali double monks that's been there for a couple of months already) down in South Melbourne.

4. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Well, they gotta make a living off it - so i don't really have a problem with that - but Hemmes looks like the shoes were placed on his feet while he was laying down - like they have never so mmuch as touched the ground, which sort of shatters the illusion that it is his style.

But do they at least let you choose the clothes - ie whilst they may not be your actual clothes, at least it is stuff you would wear, right?

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Yeah, editorial shots are often like that. In my case, I didn't choose anything - they just put up stuff that they thought looked similar. Seeing as this is a bigger feature, maybe the people photographed had greater input, I don't know..

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I had to laugh at the 'cycling fashion' story that Mr Porter just did. Because I'd definitely want to ride to work in a RLPL cashmere suit.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've never seen it at DJs. They have some OK (but overpriced) Black Label, and a lot of crappy chinos though. It's a shame as RL has a very different reputation in Australia than it enjoys in the US as a result.

8. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I think RL in Australia are just happy to sell jeans and polo shirts to the young preppies. I remember when I bought my polo linen trousers last Boxing day..I was the oldest guy in the store by about a decade, and I'm not yet 40. Most of the customers were young men under 30 wearing sneakers and baseball caps.

9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

That was more than a little silly. Still, looks like the rehabilitation of David Millar's profile appears now to be complete. I wonder if his book is any good?

10. Prince of Paisley

Yeah - it's like the Burbery chav effect in the UK - only RL don't seem to care as much about who is paying for their stuff.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

And probably mostly Asian and probably all look like me. Except I don't wear a baseball cap since it'll mess up my spiked Jersey Shore style hair.

12. Prince of Paisley

You must be the bloke who hoons around Brighton Le Sands on Saturday night in a shitty white Civic with Tempe wheels and a huge exhaust... A word of advice - put your collar down, chicks don't dig it.

13. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

just had a look in RL on Collins St. They seemed to have a bti of PL - though even at 50% off, a $320 Polo Shirt is more than I'm willing to spend. I would have been happy with a couple of the standard polos at 50% off (so about $45-$50, but didn't like any of the colors. Some of the shoes at 50% off (if shoes are included) would be a reasonable buy, though there wasn't much of a selection.

14. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Not really much of interest at the RL sale (also just swang by the Collins St store). A PRL cotton khaki suit in the Bradford cut did catch my eye at a RRP of $1,299, which fits more-or-less, but I think SF has destroyed me, and now I am way to fussy with things like shoulders, and details like a preference for patch pockets in a cotton suit. They also had linen pants out with a RRP of $230. No shoes worth looking at either. Overall, quite disappointing.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Anyone know any outlets and what not in Tokyo? And what do you gent use overseas to make purchases? Cash, credit card, debit card, cash passports?
    And for credit cards how do the local banks charge you fees?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.