Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

No RM sale at DJ's in Melbourne [​IMG]

It might be worth trying the RM Williams outlet in Spencer St DFO

2. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

This was the Arthur Galan trench I picked up from the DJs sale (the one on the right, but I got it in black) $600 down to $418 in the sale Less 20% from a friends discount card $334.40 [​IMG]

3. meister

meister Senior member

Found the DJs sale ro be the usual bullshit clearance withg some items having 3 tags overlayed from separate sales.

4. that_80s_guy

that_80s_guy Active Member

Lads
    I posted this in the "ask a question..." thread but thought I would post here for some local feedback. I am looking for some brown brogues to wear with pants, chinos, jeans, etc. I came across these:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CSAyAVXr4v...yBrogueBrn.jpg
    Anyone seen the L'Stony brand before and have any idea on quality/durability of these shoes?
    Cheers

5. mapclub

mapclub Active Member

Found the DJs sale ro be the usual bullshit clearance withg some items having 3 tags overlayed from separate sales.

You are lucky you don't live in Canberra. We count as a regional store here meaning we don't get even half the brands or stock (ie. I shall never ever find my size) every other capital city does. Not to mention all the other stores we can't have here either.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Lads
    I posted this in the "ask a question..." thread but thought I would post here for some local feedback. I am looking for some brown brogues to wear with pants, chinos, jeans, etc. I came across these:
    Anyone seen the L'Stony brand before and have any idea on quality/durability of these shoes?
    Cheers

Hmm never heard of them I'm afraid, though they look ok. Personally I'm not a fa of derby brogues, I much prefer them in an oxford because they have so much going on that an oxford looks a bit cleaner.

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Noted. I guess that's more to think about then. Thanks, Journeyman! Diggin' the name+sig, by the way. Complements each other pretty well. Was that intentional?

Agree with the comments but they Truffaux seem to fill a unique spot in the market - genuine Panama in a more contemporary style (whereas a lot of the trendier hats you find are a bit crappy, eg twisted paper).

If you are anywhere near Sydney and want to have a look at them in the flesh, they sometimes have some at Strand Hatters.

I think they look pretty good. Could get a finer weave, traditional Panama for the same money, but that may not be the look you are after.

8. meister

meister Senior member

Lads
    Cheers

I gave a pair to a mate the other day that I thrifted near new. They are an excellent Spanish made shoe.

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I'm heading up to Sydney in November for a wedding and I'm planning a quick visit to the Herringbone stores. Which are the 'flagship stores'? (i.e. biggest range of men's clothing and C&J shoes).

10. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

You are lucky you don't live in Canberra. We count as a regional store here meaning we don't get even half the brands or stock (ie. I shall never ever find my size) every other capital city does. Not to mention all the other stores we can't have here either.

Right enough. Really effing average. It's got worse in the six years I've been here - guessing it got downgraded in that time? Can't believe they didn't stick a Herringbone concession in there after the store closed. Canberra is utter mince for clothes, has to be said: Blades or Country Road, ferfuxake (I don't really consider Oxford a viable option as I can never find anything I like).

11. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Lads
    Cheers

I gave a pair to a mate the other day that I thrifted near new. They are an excellent Spanish made shoe.

They look very similar to the Spanish made house-brand shoes sold by Arthur Galan and Farage. I assume those are made by L'Stony?? I picked up a pair of AG Spanish-made specs on sale for <$200 and I think they were a good buy at that price. Blake stitched (looks like), hidden stitching on the sole, leather lining, ok quality leather, stylish last.

I probably wouldn't buy them at full retail (~$400), but on sale I think they are value, and a more stylish option than Loakes, and so far they have been pretty durable, though I'm sure they eventually won't be as bullet-proof as Loake 1880s would be.

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

This was the Arthur Galan trench I picked up from the DJs sale
    (the one on the right, but I got it in black)
    $600 down to $418 in the sale
    Less 20% from a friends discount card
    $334.40
    [​IMG]

I have a similar trench from a couple seasons back. You wouldn't wear it over a jacket as it's too slim-fitting, but as casual wear it's stylish and warm. His stuff isn't always top quality, but he usually cuts a nice silhouette AG.

14. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Back on topic - now having resided in DC for 8 months - Sydney and Melbourne are looking pretty damn fine, in terms of Dress sense. It would appear IMHO to be a case of 'feast or famine'.
    I have seen some amazingly well 'put together outfits' and some true 'Shockers'.
    I attended a Black Tie Awards Dinner last night and I was surprised to see so many Fugly square toed shoes! Roughly 50% of those in attendance did not even bother to wear a Tux...

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Right enough. Really effing average. It's got worse in the six years I've been here - guessing it got downgraded in that time? Can't believe they didn't stick a Herringbone concession in there after the store closed. Canberra is utter mince for clothes, has to be said: Blades or Country Road, ferfuxake (I don't really consider Oxford a viable option as I can never find anything I like).

Don't write a H/Bone concession in Canberra off just yet. I still have a contact inside their who said that it may well happen in the future. They have pretty bold ambitions for expansion from what I hear. Still, for the 3 hour drive to Sydney, I find myself up there enough these days for it not be too much of an issue.

There is also Ken Cook's, which have a bit of Zegna and Canali also and are well established. The guys in Blades are pretty snobby too and I must say John Hanna has gone down quite a bit in the last 5 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.