Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Do it. I would seriously love to come but I had a friend tell me YESTERDAY that he was going to be in Melbourne this weekend.

2. lennier

lennier Senior member

It's from 6pm at The Aylesbury rooftop, correct?

3. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Yes

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hope those who got to go along enjoyed this evening. I'm sorry I missed it - though very much looking forward to the next one.

Haha, did the 'Asian women' come along? It seems they're quite popular amongst the gents here. I should keep my half-Asian girl away, lest she think any of you are better dressed.

5. thebrownman

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

What a bunch of whingers. Over here it's 27 min at night each night with 85% humidity.

Anyway I'm having a smal drink fer youse DITA lychee flavored liquor.

Plenty of Asian girls here!

Brownman, half Asian gf? Which half?

Getting a cut throat proper shave in Melbourne isn't difficult. It's a nice experience with hot towels etc, just like in movies. A lot of them now aren't the genuine article but modern ones that use a replaceable safety razor.

I've got two cut throat razors myself, but it's not really that much fun shaving yourself with one.

I am volunteering to give blahman a shave with a cut throat when I get back. Wink, wink, think of Sweeney Todd.

7. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

I received some 10.5D fifth avenues (I believe they are 5 last, as the park avenues are) recently, and have worn them to work the last two days. I have a high arch on my foot. The shoes are slightly too long, slightly too tight on the sides (blister on the little toe after a couple of days) and slightly too 'short' (slight cut on top of my foot). Obviosuly I am wearing them in, and they are wearable, but maybe a 10E might be more appropriate or even try the AE Strand which is on a different last I believe.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

T'was great to see everybody last night, put some faces to names and chat not only about the important sartorial issues of the day but a variety of non-clothing related topics. For those keeping score, turnout was appolyon, fox81, lennier, PG, tobiasj and myself.

9. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Actually, now that you mention it, my PA's are a tad on the long side. I can relate to the rest of your experience, too. Did you get blisters at the bottom of your big toes as well? (my 10.5D PAs have been doing that to me during the break-in process). Other than those issues, I really like these shoes ... and they are still the best fitting dress shoes I've ever owned, despite the fact they're still not quite right. :eek:

I'm thinking of getting a pair of dark brown Fifth Avenues or merlot PAs in the next few months. When I do, I'll try 10E.

I wish I'd seen this before I committed to my first pair of PAs in 10.5D, though:

10. meister

meister Senior member

There is no such thing as "getting blisters in the break in process". The shoes are obviously the wrong fit/size FWIW. AE PAs are on the 5 last from memory which is for a narrow US type foot. I am a 10.5E and in a PA I would have to take 11E not even D. In a 10.5 I would need like nearly EEE.

11. tone76

tone76 Senior member

As I alluded to in my last post, I've worn poor quality and ill-fitting shoes for many years. Hence I have no idea of how the break-in process should work, and thought that blisters were par for the course. Despite the blisters (which are hardening up nicely now), I still maintain that these PAs are the least ill-fitting shoes I've ever owned. That said, looks like I'll have to wait for the next time someone like Nordstrom or Endless has PAs on sale, buy myself a pair of 10E (10EEE?) and then pop the 10.5Ds on B&S ...

This is why I'm a little tentative about going beyond AE in the footwear food chain, there's a serious chance I'll screw it up, and compared to the dozens of disposable Julius Marlows and Windsor Smiths I shod myself with in my sartorial dark ages, AEs are a massive step up ... even when the fit is not quite right.

Maybe ignorance was bliss after all?

12. thebrownman

FXH, she's half Malaysian-Chinese (dad) and half Polish (mum). I'm half expecting someone to add 'pics or it didn't happen' - hahaha

I had a cut throat proper shave in London earlier this year. I think they're a waste of money on my face - I start growing hair immediately after it's cut off..

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Not true. My Loake Alwych's took about 6 months to break in properly. My heels were often rubbed red raw. I think it was due to the sole being so stiff that my heel was lifting all the time.

They are now very comfortable. I can wear them all day and walk for a kilometre or two on my lunch break with no dramas whatsoever.

14. Naka

Naka Senior member

picsoritdidn'thappen.jpg

I love half asian girls, I think they are the hottest hybrid on the plant. I'm half Japanese myself so I've had plenty of exposure to them, and I can't get enough. Blackanese girls, Caucazns, I have even met a Lebanese-Chinese hybrid, and she was a 10/10.

Also, more descriptions of the Melb minimeet plox.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Sorry lads that I didn't make it last night. Thought most of you might have went home fearing the storm and the lack of swims might damage your kicks.

Actually I've been trying to find a pair of shoes for badminton all night last night with not much luck at all. Went through a number of stores looking for indoor soccer, volley ball and retro tennis shoes with thin-ish gum soles, toe protection. no luck and went home crying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.