Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Looking forward to having a beer or two tonight... although my air-conditionerless Hitachi train ride into work made me almost regret suiting up on a 33 degree Friday...

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

You don't have a summer suit? Linen or unlined tropical wool?

I'm wearing sockless loafers, linen trouses and unlined linen/wool/silk jacket today.

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Neither can I anymore, unfortunately. Hope you guys have a good time - hopefully there'll be another one before the year's out.

4. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

When is the meetup tonight? I might be able to make it for a quick (non-alcoholic) drink but first I have to go buy some new Adidas Originals retro sneakers (being a hipster that I am).

6. fox81

fox81 Senior member

ditto with the linen pants. i have socks with my loafers though. i almost left the tie at home. almost

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

Oh no you didn't! You're now officially on santa fxh's naughty list, if you're not already on it!

8. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

So we have:

appolyon
    fox81
    lennier
    CHECKstar
    blahman (making an appearance as a hipster)
    thebrownman (late scratching)
    RemyMichel
    Jimbosaurus (late scratcing)
    Quar

For the record I was tempted to wear a pair of shorts in today but thought I better not. You should be able to pick me out by my socks and wristraff. If anyone wants my mobile details pm me.

9. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I have not much business appropriate linen (have a light linen suit posted here a while back and a few pairs of pants)... need a blue linen suit one day...

Actually the suit I have on is an open wool weave, so it’s not so bad in the heat... its just the sardine like environment of the Melbourne Hitachi trains....

10. lennier

lennier Senior member

I'm still in for a short time tonight. Even managed to don the Official Tie although it may not survive to 6pm depending on the temp profile today!

11. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks Selvaggio and Geoffrey.

12. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I feel your pain. Only in a 2nd-world city like Melbourne would a 40 year old train still be regarded as effecient mass transit.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Re : tonight. I'm a 'definite maybe'. I have an appointment with my wife around the corner after work but I might be able conveniently drop in to say hello beforehand.

14. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

a lot of the rolling stock in the paris metro dates back to the early 60's and works a hell of a lot better than the Melbourne train system (Paris Metro is amazing, if somewhat pungent in a few places)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

The bulk of the trams that operate in Zurich were put into operation from 1976 to 1992. Mean they're atleast 19 and as much as 45 years old. They still operate well and are maintained in good order.

It is less about the age of Victoria's public transport vehicles and more about the way in which they are maintained and updated. Look at the trams we use. Most people I know that get a mixed group of trams actually prefer the older B-Class trams (those that run on route 86 predominately) to the newer low floor D-Class trams (those that run on the route 96). We consistently fail to design and implement trams that can handle melbournes weather extremes and the same follows for our trains.

The issue I think comes down to the way we plan our transport spending. As a premier no one wants to get up there in front of an 40 year old train and say 'we just completely refurbished this old train for a fraction of the cost of the new one. That's not a photo opportunity so it's not worth doing. Shiny new trams though? Shit get out the hardhats and safety vests, you'll have premiers and ministers flocking to get out in the shunting yards with them for their maiden voyage.

And to keep this on topic...ummm...Yes so that is why I think you are hot on the train.

edit : I see in my time since commencing writing this MickeyD got on board, so to speak. Another good point.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.