Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

I had the pleasure of meeting fellos SF'er Blahman this morning in Port Melbourne to pick up a lovely grey HB suit, which at first glance seems to be in excellent condition.

He was sporting a rather adventurous Movember 'tache. Least I hope it was for Movember anyway!

Nice to meet you blahman, hopefully catch up again soon.

2. neyus

neyus Senior member

I'm intrigued by this Antichi Telai brand? Are the buttonholes also stitched by hand? Can someone shoe pictures of these if they are? Just not able to check out these suits for myself.

3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Yeah, I commented on this during the mid-year sales. DJ's were selling mainline Zegna were $1300 (not a bad price). The Zegna boutique was selling suits 'on sale' for $2500. Ok, so it was a Trofeo suit...but seriously. Are they just bumping up the prices because they want to raise the 'exclusivity' of the brand?

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I think Zegna is seriously up itself at the moment. I have a feeling this was kicked off with it's 100th anniversary celebrations recently. Though maybe it is just because they want to cut away from the pack a little, particularly given the introduction of Canali into the more mainstream market here.

I have two (old) Zegna suits and love their stuff but won't pay an inflated brand premium.

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Uh huh.

Approx $600 more and you can go Zegna Su Misura (MTM) with basic fabric and minimal, if any, hand-finishing. :embar:

Whoopee.

OTOH, P Johnson does MTM for approx $1500 with hand-finishing.

And my P johnson suits fit waaay better than my Zegna Su Misuras.

Guess who I'm sticking with from now on?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

But is Zegna mainline 'worth' Kiton/Brioni/Tom Ford prices? Or more than Isaia/D'Avenza/Castangia/Attolini prices? Let alone bespoke options etc.

They are nice suits but (Couture excepted) they are still mass-produced by robots. But as you say, perhaps they are chasing the 'baller' market now instead of middle-management and world's greatest treasurer.

7. ColdEyedPugilist

+ 1

8. ColdEyedPugilist

I think here in Oz, Kiton, Brioni etc. are in the $6K and above mark. The only Zegna equivalent is prolly the Couture range.

To be frank, I don't think ANY of them are worth that.

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

Has fxh been impersonating me again?!

10. timothy-tams

timothy-tams New Member

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.
    I had my suit pants hemmed the other day and I asked how much it would cost to shorten the jacket, and she said it was $45.
    Is that normal? If so, why is it so expensive?
    I have buttons on the cuff but they're non-functioning and I don't mind if they take it off.

Cheers

11. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

HAHA! Ryan means me..

And yes, the moustache is for Movember - a very worthwhile cause, in my opinion.

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

On the price of kiton suits, I saw one in a store today ...discounted to $3,000 from $10,000...yes folks you heard right, the same price as a small Korean automobile.

Actually, any WA based members should get themselves down to this store for some bargains. It's called Follow Me and it's in the bottom of the Trinity Arcade and I think it was an off shoot of Parker and Co, but it's closing down and they have 70% off all their stuff. Range looks a little depleted, but they have B Cucinelli, Pal Zileri, Zegna, Paul Smith, Versace, Brioni, Canali, Lobb (one pair brown suede loafers), kriton, Parker home brand and Cantarelli. In other words quite a roll call.

I suspect the original RRPs were CRAZY PRICES (see kiton example above), but pretty good on special. I picked up a mid gray Cantarelli for $525 (I assume this is a good deal), one of those Zegna Montenapoleone knit ties in green ($58) and Altea tie in orange silk and linen ($45).

They had quite afew nice ties, including a Massimo Dutti. Not seen any Massimo Dutti in Aus before.

Thanks for suggestions on the belt btw.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

13. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Hey guys. Have many people here have experiance with gilt.com? I've been looking through the site and it looks pretty good. Do you know what time zone they are running in? They have a list of up coming sales, and it says it starts today at 4am ET? Looks like they have an upcoming sale on blazers and suits from luigi bianchi mantova. I've never heard/seen them before, but have read good things about them after doing a search. Thanks!

14. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

Only shortening the sleeves? It's a bit more than I pay, but low if it's more substantial work. Why so expensive? A tailor has overheads, and a good one has a right to charge an amount that reflects their skill and experience. If you want a lower price, pay cash and bundle work together. That said, I'd prefer to pay more and be happy than risk someone damaging my clothes.

15. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Have any Melbourne members ever organised a catchup? we should all get together over some beers or even over coffee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.