Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

With glasses frames I've been using The Optometrist Attic - good service, nice bloke and great classic frames. http://optometristattic.com/

I get the lenses and adjustment and fittings done here. But if you know all your measurements theres no reason not to get the lenses done in USA too. Your optometrist should give you the script - but often they "accidentally" leave out the vital measurements.

I also have some good cheap and cheerful nice looking frames I've got here in Melb.

Ms fxh gets a couple of pairs of plastic latest Japanese/ Korean/ Taiwan fashion glasses, frames and prescription lenses, when we are in Taiwan, for about aud$70 for two all up. I can't get them as plastic frames sit too high for my nose. We're off to Taiwan on Thursday. I'll pick up some nice cheap ($5) watches at the night markets as usual.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Gentlemen,

I received two new, MTO shirts from Individualised Shirts in the US today, via DeerStyle in Brisbane - you can see a post about them on the DeerStyle blog here.

This is my second batch of shirts from Individualised shirts, and they are excellent. The "Artisan" collar is very nice - high, wide and with quite long points, so that it frames a tie knot very nicely. The shirts also fit beautifully, thanks to Rene from DeerStyle.

All in all, highly recommended and I'll be ordering a third batch very shortly, particularly since DeerStyle has just received a fresh bundle of fabric swatches from Individualised, including some linen for summer!

[​IMG]

3. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Lovely collars on those, Journeyman. Deer style seems like a great option for the more northern members.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

我飞香港 然后在午夜到高雄 在星期四晚 相距很远,blahman和疯狂的鞋样设计

5. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Hi guys,

I posted a little while back in regards of buying a suit when I go to Melbourne next year. I got a lot of feedback, and got told to check out Azzaro while over there. As i've never stepped foot in the store, could someone that has shopped there please recommend the suits I should be looking at, and what to avoid?

I sent an email asking what brand suits they have that offer a slim fitting. These are the suits I got recommended in the reply: Versace Collection, Canatarelli, Antichi Telai and Satoria Italia.

I done a bit of a search on here about the suits, and generally people have good things to say about Antichi, and Cantarelli. I have read that the Versace collection have fused jackets? Thanks for your help guys, I just want to get a good insight on what i'll be looking at when I do turn up to buy a suit, I don't want to be buying a dud!

Thanks!

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Beautiful shirts, Journeyman!

Particularly love the collars.

7. meister

meister Senior member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

8. meister

meister Senior member

Just had a pair Of NOS Tart Arnels Countdowns from the 60s (ex eBay) made up and the guy at my optometrist commented on how well made they are with hand finishing you never see any more.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

To the youngish, blonde haired chap in the light serge blue suit (in cotton with soft shoulder by P Johnson, I think), navy and pink tie, quality brown oxford shoes and nicely patinaed dark brown briefcase (not sure if all these details are 100% correct) crossing Queensbridge on the southside of the Yarra about 8.30am this morning - well done, a well dressed gentleman stands out from the crowd.

Was going to say "Nice suit" but did not think it was appropriate for a cyclist in worn out training kit to interrupt the conversation you were having with your female companion. Always brightens my day to see another in the growing number of sartorially smart chaps around Melbourne.

Any further inside into the outfit? (I am just guessing, based on the kit, you were a SFer).

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Nice little video showing construction of hand made sunglasses. [VIDEO]
    Made by Hand from Persol on Vimeo.
    [/VIDEO]

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

So I was in Hobart last week and dropped by Routleys. I really liked it; it seemed to be like Henry Bucks but not quite so ridiculously expensive.

Only weird thing was the shoes--holy fk they were ugly :fu:

12. Naka

Naka Senior member

It all depends on your budget, and what you want from the suit. The general consensus here would be to go with the Antichi Telai or the Cantarelli, but if that doesn't fit your budget, then the fit of the suit means nothing. Is this your first suit? If this isn't your first suit, what other suits do you own? Where will you be wearing it?

13. Qliphoth

Qliphoth New Member

Long time lurker from Melbourne here, thought you guys might be interested to know that as of today Gilt.com has finally started offering international shipping, it's also free for a limited time.

14. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

You will not get a 'dud' suit in terms of price and quality at Azzaro. The only way you'll get a dud is if you buy a suit that doesn't fit you...but if Alessandro and Luciano are on the job that won't happen.

They have a range of suits at lots of different price points. They have fused suits (Enrico Coveri, Versace Collection), half-canvassed suits, fully-canvassed massed-produced suits (Cantarelli, Canali) and hand-made suits (Antichi Telai).

Just try on lots of different models, because the brand itself guarantees nothing w.r.t. fit. Canali make five-different blocks these days, and each of these may come with different amounts of shoulder padding so there is no way you can say that 'Canali will/won't fit me' without trying it on first.

You may find that a Versace Collection Trend-block fits you the best. Quality of construction does not guarantee a better fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.