Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Ha, that's a good one.

My own personal everytimeslippage area is that little downward slope in Melbourne airport when you're walking out of a Qantas flight and towards the escalator to get out. Right beside the l'Occitane and Luggage stores. On my arse. Every. Single. Time.

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I got this one too, though strangely there are no suits on sale online, only jackets.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Random sleepy after-lunch idea: Bronze coloured velvet captoe oxfords?

4. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

R&B are having one of their 70% off clearance sales at the store near the Rialto for any Melbournites who are so inclined. Ties are $35, and buy 3 get 1 free.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ I was just about to jump in to whinge about how no one told me about this!

6. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Am I right in thinking you simply can't buy an oxblood coloured belt in Australia? I have been wearing a reddish brown and have decided it just doesn't cut it.

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

It's hard enough buying a brown one :plain:

I like www.narragansettleathers.com...

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

I found the Herringbone ones going for $50 last pop up sale pretty good. Nice and buttery leather. To me brown is brown, Oxblood is close enough to brown to me haha.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I found an oxblood belt (or near enough) with goldtone hardware at the Rose St Market. (Could give you a pic if you like).

Not much help to you, but maybe the guy would do on commission or something.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Louis - used to be great years ago - now its stuff isn't much cheaper then other places. Many years ago, before outlet malls etc, Louis used to take suits, jackets etc off retailers and wholesalers that were samples or overstock. They would have a one or twice a year invitation night with suits for $50+. They also used to have good cheap shirts.

The small packed to the ceiling shoe shop around the corner from Louis has the cheapest Docs in Melbourne.

Box Hill used to be the next best place to buy heroin after Foot-scary and Ringwood station. A few years ago there used to be guys hanging around accosting people and offering chop-chop by the kilo. Ahh the good old days.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Others have offered good advice - sometimes paradoxically dandruff is made worse by too much shampooing. It used to be said that hair stuff like Californian Poppy and Brylcreem kept dandruff in check. Its possible that the oil is good for the skin.

Old school Brylcreem is cheap and smells great.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m-new-n-old.jpg/250px-Brylcreem-new-n-old.jpg

The EGO mob have a range of pine tar based products that are often useful. http://www.egopharm.com.au/EgoProducts/Pinetarsol.html?s=955348219

If its really bad, and also because you had an allergic reaction to ti-tree oil, I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist and get expert advice rather than ask a bunch of idiots on the net.

More info::
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Dandruff_and_itching_scalp

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I've gone over completely to clip on sunnies for prescription glasses on most of my glasses. So has Ms fxh.

Saves carrying around two pair of glasses and with the bonus you can read with the sunnies on. The clip ons just slip in a top pocket - no need for a case. They are easily taken off when entering a building so you don't look like one of Mick Gatto's hangers on. It also avoids that half shades half not look you can get sometimes in bright indoors light with the magic tinted glasses.

It is important for eye protection to wear sunglasses as much as possible when outdoors. Australia was the first country in the world to introduce a national standard for sunglasses.

From wiki::
    Sunglasses offer protection against excessive exposure to light, including its visible and invisible components.

The most widespread protection is against ultraviolet radiation, which can cause short-term and long-term ocular problems such as photokeratitis, snow blindness, cataracts, pterygium, and various forms of eye cancer.[7] Medical experts advise the public on the importance of wearing sunglasses to protect the eyes from UV;[7] for adequate protection, experts recommend sunglasses that reflect or filter out 99-100 % of UVA and UVB light, with wavelengths up to 400 nm. Sunglasses which meet this requirement are often labeled as "UV400." This is slightly more protection than the widely used standard of the European Union (see below), which requires that 95 % of the radiation up to only 380 nm must be reflected or filtered out.[8] Sunglasses are not sufficient to protect the eyes against permanent harm from looking directly at the Sun, even during a solar eclipse.

edit:: Australia has the most expensive frames,with up to 2000% mark ups, in the world due to a near monopoly of Luxottica which own most of the seemingly "different" chains of eyewear retail outlets. They own brands OPSM, Laubman & Pank, and Budget Eyewear as well as the sunglasses retail outlets Sunglass Hut and Bright Eyes and others. Luxottica is the largest manufacturer and distributor of eyewear in the world. Most frames are made in China and due to very slack origin laws in Italy in particular, a frame saying Made In Italy, may only have that label affixed in Italy or simply been stored next to a bowl of spaghetti.

In the end a plastic frame is just a plastic frame, most of them made in a limited number of factories in China.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

As others have said Wapro is australian made and the original factory is just around the corner from me.

Collinol, German, is good stuff and seems to be in most cobblers here in Melbourne - perhaps not in Sydney.

14. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Had one from Zegna a while back; purchased it from Varino, Chatswood.

They're just ridiculously priced however :(.

15. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

If it's the model with the slightly rounded silver buckle, it's a bloody good deal! They normally retail for about $150!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.