• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanohare

Reaction score

The best place to get a good slip is on 2nd floor of Melbourne Central near Oxford. Stone tile plus a decent slope gets me almost every time - I seem to always land on the slope with the leather part of my heel.

Ha, that's a good one.

My own personal everytimeslippage area is that little downward slope in Melbourne airport when you're walking out of a Qantas flight and towards the escalator to get out. Right beside the l'Occitane and Luggage stores. On my arse. Every. Single. Time.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random sleepy after-lunch idea: Bronze coloured velvet captoe oxfords?

MickyD

Reaction score
R&B are having one of their 70% off clearance sales at the store near the Rialto for any Melbournites who are so inclined. Ties are $35, and buy 3 get 1 free.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I was just about to jump in to whinge about how no one told me about this!

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking you simply can't buy an oxblood coloured belt in Australia? I have been wearing a reddish brown and have decided it just doesn't cut it.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I right in thinking you simply can't buy an oxblood coloured belt in Australia? I have been wearing a reddish brown and have decided it just doesn't cut it.

I found an oxblood belt (or near enough) with goldtone hardware at the Rose St Market. (Could give you a pic if you like).

Not much help to you, but maybe the guy would do on commission or something.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, for those who know some of the haunts out in Melbourne's east (fxh, I am looking at you!), 'Louis Economy Shop' in Box Hill have two racks of Hardy Amies Italian made silk ties for $16.95 a pop. I would imagine that it is a one off purchase on their behalf, and they are just trying to clear the stock. Admittedly, many of the patterns and designs probably won't appeal to our 'refined' tastes, and we are not talking about seven-fold craftsmanship but I did manage to pick out two that I was happy to add to my collection.

Louis - used to be great years ago - now its stuff isn't much cheaper then other places. Many years ago, before outlet malls etc, Louis used to take suits, jackets etc off retailers and wholesalers that were samples or overstock. They would have a one or twice a year invitation night with suits for $50+. They also used to have good cheap shirts.

The small packed to the ceiling shoe shop around the corner from Louis has the cheapest Docs in Melbourne.

Box Hill used to be the next best place to buy heroin after Foot-scary and Ringwood station. A few years ago there used to be guys hanging around accosting people and offering chop-chop by the kilo. Ahh the good old days.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any good recommendations for dandruff shampoos or remedies? I have been using apple cider vinegar, but to no avail. I've also pretty much exhausted the shampoos commonly available in the supermarkets. I read a post on here that suggested tea tree oil, but I'm allergic to that, as I discovered after my girlfriend applied it to a cut on my shoulder and my whole back blew up in a rash!
So, does anyone have any tried and tested methods for dealing with the dreaded white stuff?

Others have offered good advice - sometimes paradoxically dandruff is made worse by too much shampooing. It used to be said that hair stuff like Californian Poppy and Brylcreem kept dandruff in check. Its possible that the oil is good for the skin.

Old school Brylcreem is cheap and smells great.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m-new-n-old.jpg/250px-Brylcreem-new-n-old.jpg

The EGO mob have a range of pine tar based products that are often useful. http://www.egopharm.com.au/EgoProducts/Pinetarsol.html?s=955348219

If its really bad, and also because you had an allergic reaction to ti-tree oil, I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist and get expert advice rather than ask a bunch of idiots on the net.

More info::
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Dandruff_and_itching_scalp

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What does everyone here favour in terms of eyewear?
Either optical frames requiring prescription lenses, or sunglasses?

I've gone over completely to clip on sunnies for prescription glasses on most of my glasses. So has Ms fxh.

Saves carrying around two pair of glasses and with the bonus you can read with the sunnies on. The clip ons just slip in a top pocket - no need for a case. They are easily taken off when entering a building so you don't look like one of Mick Gatto's hangers on. It also avoids that half shades half not look you can get sometimes in bright indoors light with the magic tinted glasses.

It is important for eye protection to wear sunglasses as much as possible when outdoors. Australia was the first country in the world to introduce a national standard for sunglasses.

From wiki::
Sunglasses offer protection against excessive exposure to light, including its visible and invisible components.

The most widespread protection is against ultraviolet radiation, which can cause short-term and long-term ocular problems such as photokeratitis, snow blindness, cataracts, pterygium, and various forms of eye cancer.[7] Medical experts advise the public on the importance of wearing sunglasses to protect the eyes from UV;[7] for adequate protection, experts recommend sunglasses that reflect or filter out 99-100 % of UVA and UVB light, with wavelengths up to 400 nm. Sunglasses which meet this requirement are often labeled as "UV400." This is slightly more protection than the widely used standard of the European Union (see below), which requires that 95 % of the radiation up to only 380 nm must be reflected or filtered out.[8] Sunglasses are not sufficient to protect the eyes against permanent harm from looking directly at the Sun, even during a solar eclipse.

edit:: Australia has the most expensive frames,with up to 2000% mark ups, in the world due to a near monopoly of Luxottica which own most of the seemingly "different" chains of eyewear retail outlets. They own brands OPSM, Laubman & Pank, and Budget Eyewear as well as the sunglasses retail outlets Sunglass Hut and Bright Eyes and others. Luxottica is the largest manufacturer and distributor of eyewear in the world. Most frames are made in China and due to very slack origin laws in Italy in particular, a frame saying Made In Italy, may only have that label affixed in Italy or simply been stored next to a bowl of spaghetti.

In the end a plastic frame is just a plastic frame, most of them made in a limited number of factories in China.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, a bit of help.
Anyone know where i can find Shoe Cream Polish? I've looked everywhere and all I can find are wax polishes, i can't even see the most basic kiwi shoe cream. It's like Australia has an embargo on them.
Any recommendations or alternatives would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just have to order over the net.
I'm in Sydney btw.

As others have said Wapro is australian made and the original factory is just around the corner from me.

Collinol, German, is good stuff and seems to be in most cobblers here in Melbourne - perhaps not in Sydney.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had one from Zegna a while back; purchased it from Varino, Chatswood.

They're just ridiculously priced however :(.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found the Herringbone ones going for $50 last pop up sale pretty good. Nice and buttery leather. To me brown is brown, Oxblood is close enough to brown to me haha.

If it's the model with the slightly rounded silver buckle, it's a bloody good deal! They normally retail for about $150!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads