Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It's just my opinion, and I'm not a tailor, but I do not think that you should widen the shoulders at all.
    The shoulder seam should sit on the top of the edge of the shoulder, so to speak. If you widen the shoulders, the seams will start to fall off your shoulders down your arms - just like so many ready-to-wear shirts that I see around the place.

In fact (and this might be controversial, so I'd welcome other comments), I think that you could actually benefit from narrowing the shoulders a little, so as to make the shoulder seams more "upright".

I certainly don't think that you need to add anything to the back as there seems to be quite a lot of excess fabric there already.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Also not a tailor, but I agree with Journeyman. When fitting people into shirts, I tend to look for a shoulder seam that sits fractionally "narrower" than how your shirt sits. Perhaps this has to do with my predilection for not wanting to "add" to one's shoulders as I am relatively broad myself. In any case, I think that shoulder seams which sit slightly more upright as Journeyman puts it, do look best. Are the sleeve too long because they appear to be bunching a lot around your elbow. I'd like the sleeves to be slightly narrower as well, the left one appears voluminous in the photos. Definitely don't add to the back, there's a fair amount of fabric already there.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Ditto Brownie. And depending on how much gut you have, might even consider taking more waist in. I'd sit down in that shirt first though and see if it feels tight or pulling around the waist.

This is the best fitting MT shirt I've actually received to date:

[​IMG]

4. Texmo

Texmo Active Member

Prime has some wolverine 1000 mile boots in at the moment...

5. meister

meister Senior member

You can get them at that shoeshop in Balmain opposite the Town Hall also.

6. sonthach54

sonthach54 Active Member

What do other SFers normally pay for Topy. I was quoted $53 a pair in the Sydney CBD yesterday. Sounded a little high. TIA.

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

That's about what I pay. You may be able to get them a bit cheaper, but unless you are doing some mass topying, not it would be worth your time searching.

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

In Melbourne you can get it done for $35 at Rekaris in the CBD, cheapest I've found.

9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

What a what..? Is this a new place? I'm visualising Bar Contessa, La Sangria, The nail place with the exploited guest workers, the hardware store, fire station, the Balmain crop shop op the cop shop...not visualising a shoe shop - must investigate on the weekend.

10. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Not sure PG, I just grabbed it off AAAC's retailers page.

11. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Any suggestions for shopping for a good range of coloured socks in Melbourne? Myers/DJ's/anywhere else?

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Not sure if this has been posted before, but while shopping around for some Allen Edmonds I noticed that many of the US department stores (at least those that use the Fifty One checkout system) now have very cheap shipping to Aus. Seems to be a flate rate of $20 for any number of items up to $1000 AUD (at which point you get slugged with customs fees).

This seems to be the case with Nordstrom, Saks, Macy's, Barneys & Bloomingdales that I have found so far (not Neiman Marcus/Begdorf Goodman though).

Endless.com has free shipping here for shoes over $100USD, but this could be very useful for Christmas shopping, among other things. Barneys has their Co-op section, which is especially good for SW&D stuff.

They all use DHL Express as the carrier (1-2 weeks) which will be a lot quicker than trying to get things here with USPS (which I image will slow to a crawl with all the online shopping Australians are going to be doing leading into Christmas).

Also, Black Friday is fast approaching which should mean some very good deals.

*edit* Some, like Nordstrom, don't take Paypal for some reason, which means you will have to pay an intl. transaction fee on your card. Not too big of a deal though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

13. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

PG - I know DJs has Happy Socks http://www.happysocks.com/. I've only tried one pair... 100% combed cotton, pretty comfy, a little short. The Brisbane main store had a lot of colors.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The Argyles which are colourful now appear to be mid calf length.

15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I've got some Happy Socks and I'm not a huge fan. Yes they're bright but something about the feel is just off for me and white is visible when they are stretched around the heel and ankle. The seams are also a bit uncomfortable around the toe, however that's something I'm VERY picky about so this might not be a real issue.

I've purchased a pair of Marcolianis from DJ's however you're much better off online at Howard Yount.

And on that I'm wearing my Carmina's for the first time today with said Marcoliani socks :
    [​IMG]

They're amazingly comfortable for a first wearing. Some slight rubbing at the heel but nothing compared to every other pair of shoes I've worn. Loving the shape of the last as well.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.