• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again to everyone that has responded. When my fiance and I first started talking colour schemes for the wedding, we orginally wanted myself and the grooms men wearing grey suits. So I might have to chat to her and see if she wants to go down that path.

I'm a tradesman, so I won't really need the suit for work purposes. But it would be nice to have a versatile suit so I could wear out to the races etc. As for the weight, the store lady laughed when I told her that I planned to shed a few extra kg's haha. I'm 86kg's now and 5'11, working my way back to the 80kg's I was at the start of the year (got a bit slack over winter!) I guess weight wise my shoulders won't change too much so I could possibly buy one very soon (boxing day sales maybe)

I never thought it would be so hard buying a suit! So many options and styles to go for! I did like the cantarelli quite a lot, and might have to go back in soon to have another look and try some more on. Would it be wise going for the same branded shirt as well? Or are there cheaper options available that would do the job? Although the shirts on offer did look really nice! 

I have a Canterelli that I bought for summer wear its a super 110 a couple of years ago, its a grey with a chalk blue stripe, work wise I get a lot of wear out of it. As your a tradie and don't wear a suit all that often I would go a grey suit there a lot more versatile for social occasions and I have noticed that even cultural creatives are no longer wearing black suits all the time.

Another option could be a price of wales check now that always looks good in my opinion and is never out of place at any social situation.

As for shirts you could try http://www.harvieandhudson.com/ or http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/Gentlemen/Shirts/Button-Cuff/Default.aspx both are pretty quick in terms of delivery. I find for me that Herringbone i can never get a good fit there too tight across the chest or long in the sleeves for me.

Last edited:

matt1985

Reaction score
I have a Canterelli that I bought for summer wear its a super 110 a couple of years ago, its a grey with a chalk blue stripe, work wise I get a lot of wear out of it. As your a tradie and don't wear a suit all that often I would go a grey suit there a lot more versatile for social occasions and I have noticed that even cultural creatives are no longer wearing black suits all the time.
Another option could be a price of wales check now that always looks good in my opinion and is never out of place at any social situation.
As for shirts you could try http://www.harvieandhudson.com/ or http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/Gentlemen/Shirts/Button-Cuff/Default.aspx both are pretty quick in terms of delivery. I find for me that Herringbone i can never get a good fit there too tight across the chest or long in the sleeves for me.

Thanks for the shirt sites Geoffrey! I was just looking at the harvie and hudson site, they look very nice! I noticed they have different collar sizes. is 15 inch the standard size?? I wasn't aware there are different size available lol...

JSSM

Reaction score
Can anyone access the uk site for TM Lewin? I was planning to order a bunch and have them cut as decent casual shirts, but the Aussie site puts them at $63 (fully-fitted selection). I seem to remember some R&B on sale for near that (though it's not nearly as slim). It's ridiculous that I need to have shirts cut in the first place to be able to wear them untucked.

Last edited:

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sydney guys - RM Williams Sale at their Olympic Park store. Hawksebury Road

Boots 260
Trousers 40 and up
Shirts 40 and up
Belts 40 and up

JSSM

Reaction score

Sydney guys - RM Williams Sale at their Olympic Park store. Hawksebury Road

Boots 260
Trousers 40 and up
Shirts 40 and up
Belts 40 and up

Wonder if they have the leather jackets out here, and if they are on sale?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the shirt sites Geoffrey! I was just looking at the harvie and hudson site, they look very nice! I noticed they have different collar sizes. is 15 inch the standard size?? I wasn't aware there are different size available lol... 

Men
How to find your size

As a general rule, a man's measurement is the same as his size. Where small, medium, large, etc. are concerned, the best way to ensure proper fit is to know your measurements. Always consult online merchant's size charts and fit tips.

What you'll need -- A cloth tape measure and a full-length mirror. For best results take body measurements undressed or in lightweight clothing. Keep your arms at your side and have a friend take the measurements. When measuring, keep the tape measure snug, but not tight. Stand up straight!

Neck size
Measure around the base of the neck.
Easier method: Take a shirt that fits great and measure from the center of the button to the far end of the button hole. Inches = Size (If it's 17 1/2 inches, you're a 17 1/2 neck) Round up. For example, if you measure 17 1/4, round up to 17 1/2.

Sleeve measure
Bend your elbow and put your hand on your hip. Have someone measure from middle of back of your neck, around shoulder and elbow to wrist bone.
Easier method: Take a shirt that fits and fold at the elbow 90 degrees and measure from middle back of collar to cuff.

Chest size
Take measurements under armpits, around fullest part of chest and shoulder blades

another good site is http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLUE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#

then click on the size guide, you stated your were a tradie? what chippe, sparks? might be an issue with the biceps I have recently gone back to the gym and a few of my polos are getting uncomfortably tight in the sleeves

Last edited:

jzbar

Reaction score

Is anyone here affected (or about to be) affected by the QANTAS shutdown? My wife is stranded in Melbourne. :eek: I'm wondering whether or not to send her to Azzaro tomorrow if she doesn't get home today as planned .. :laugh:

My dad, who was meant to fly from Sydney back to Melbourne today, just called me and said he's about an hour past Goulbourn - apparently, he decided to just hire a car and drive down. I expect to see him later tonight. Still, he'll probably arrive at his destination a lot sooner than some others.

kickstart

Reaction score
I've spent the past hour analyzing all my shoes and trying to work out why my Aquilas hurt my right foot but none of my other shoes do.

You see, I want to splash out and purchase some Herring Churchill (see link):
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&shoeid=2023&selectedSizeid=0&selectedFitid=0

However I'm concerned that the closed lacing on the oxford style shoe will 'suffocate' my foot a bit and aggravate this annoying little bone that kind of sticks out a bit on the top of my foot.

But....I own a pair of Cheaney Leadenhalls - which utilizes the same last as the Churchill (11028) - however it has a two eyelet 'Gibson' style lace area, so the top of the shoe is very 'open' accommodating high insteps. Not that I have a high instep, just an annoying bone that sticks out on the top of my feet haha.

See the Leadenhalls here :
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&shoeid=5153&selectedSizeid=0&selectedFitid=0

Anyway - my question for the experts out there (I know you exist...ahem...) is whether the "last" of the shoe affects how 'open' and 'high' the top of the shoe is?

If it does have an effect on the openness of the shoe then I'm assuming that the lacing style shouldn't affect me, based on the 11028 last fitting me very nicely.

Another caveat could be that the Aquila shoes that hurt my foot actually have a Derby style lace, as do a pair I bought overseas. However the Aqualias hurt my right foot and the others do not...It's a pretty strange predicament I'm in.

I guess one alternative would be to ask if anyone here wears a size 9 and wants a pair of Herring Churchills in Dark Leaf Brown if I decide they don't work for me....

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've spent the past hour analyzing all my shoes and trying to work out why my Aquilas hurt my right foot but none of my other shoes do.
You see, I want to splash out and purchase some Herring Churchill (see link):
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&shoeid=2023&selectedSizeid=0&selectedFitid=0
However I'm concerned that the closed lacing on the oxford style shoe will 'suffocate' my foot a bit and aggravate this annoying little bone that kind of sticks out a bit on the top of my foot.
But....I own a pair of Cheaney Leadenhalls - which utilizes the same last as the Churchill (11028) - however it has a two eyelet 'Gibson' style lace area, so the top of the shoe is very 'open' accommodating high insteps. Not that I have a high instep, just an annoying bone that sticks out on the top of my feet haha.
See the Leadenhalls here :
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&shoeid=5153&selectedSizeid=0&selectedFitid=0
Anyway - my question for the experts out there (I know you exist...ahem...) is whether the "last" of the shoe affects how 'open' and 'high' the top of the shoe is?
If it does have an effect on the openness of the shoe then I'm assuming that the lacing style shouldn't affect me, based on the 11028 last fitting me very nicely.
Another caveat could be that the Aquila shoes that hurt my foot actually have a Derby style lace, as do a pair I bought overseas. However the Aqualias hurt my right foot and the others do not...It's a pretty strange predicament I'm in.
I guess one alternative would be to ask if anyone here wears a size 9 and wants a pair of Herring Churchills in Dark Leaf Brown if I decide they don't work for me....

Closed lacing will always have a bit less across the instep. Open lacing is generally more accommodating. All my closed lacing shoes/boots are less comfortable to wear for that reason.

If you have a sticky out bit then you can actually stretch the shoes in just that place if needed. You can do it yourself by soaking that precise point with conditioner and wearing the shoes for a day. You can also buy pads that will cushion that point a bit.

Its always a good idea to go to a podiatrist with any feet problems. A good one will be able to advise you how to minimise pain etc.

The Herring Churchill will be made by Cheaney for Herring on the same last as you have. So, within some tolerances, will be exactly the same fit.

You might look at going down half a size to 8.5 and up to a G width. As long as the length feels like there is plenty in 9 you might find a 8.5 is long enough. Basically width gives you height or width or a bit of both.

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score
matt1985 - my favourite shirts are the Antichi Telai, although some of my friends don't like them because they are cut very slim in the body (they are darted) and they have high armholes.

lennier

Reaction score
In case anyone has been waiting on Herring to get the 'stock due in October' Shakespeare dub monks back in, they now seem to have limited stock of some sizes.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at Southern Cross/Spencer street station yesterday about 7pm where I found a huge throng of people leaving the station, which appear to have come from some big funeral. So which famous much beloved person died?

Anyway...my latest acquisition:

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, within some tolerances, will be exactly the same fit.
You might look at going down half a size to 8.5 and up to a G width. As long as the length feels like there is plenty in 9 you might find a 8.5 is long enough. Basically width gives you height or width or a bit of both.

A lot of the rubbing problem is high arch accompanied by the sticky out bit. What you need in a lacing shoe (I have the same issue using an orthotic) is VOLUME. The G width is EEE wide. If you feet are not too narrow this may be a way for you to get rid of the rubbing issue by increasing VOLUME inside the shoe.

The other alternative is to find a last/shoe that gives you greater volume per se in a normal width.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads