Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Where do you live?

Not much chance of online delivery in a few days.

Is it your first suit? Most people here who have a few suits etc spend weeks deciding on a new one.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depends what your style is and what you are after. I used to call in regularly when I was out that way. The casual jackets were interesting if a bit fashiony and way over priced , even at discount. The suits and sport jackets seem ok enough but not all that cheap.

It's alongside the BOSS outlet, which has a lot of samples, I think the sample size is 42? Others will know.

3. Shoefiend

Shoefiend Member

Ok Australians.

I need a new suit, and I'd like to get something bespoke. I've seen the name P Johnson thrown around here a fair bit, can anyone tell me more about the process and how much I'd be looking at?

4. lennier

lennier Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/t/229772/p-johnson-mtm

5. Shoefiend

Shoefiend Member

Hah I'm stupid. Thanks for leaving out a snarky comment anyway.

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

Snark is generally refrained from in the oz thread, no-one thinks it's sophisticated as many appear to in other threads of this forum. Good luck, and if you have specific questions not covered in that PJ thread that aren't best answered by PJ themselves feel free to ask, someone here will be happy to help.

7. Dope Nixon

Dope Nixon Well-Known Member

I have a black dinner jacket but I want a grey suit for the dinner and also job interviews etc; later on

I live in Bunbury WA - 2 hours from Perth, not many big retailers

And hopefully if I emailed the owner they could sort out some kind of urgent express postage - aussies tend be pretty accomadating/nice on stuff like this

8. tone76

tone76 Senior member

If you're not doing anything tomorrow (Saturday), your best bet may be a day trip to Perth. Try places like Herringbone, DJs etc. There might be a couple of good independent menswear places there too, but I'll throw that one open to the Perth iGents.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

Herringbone and DJ's are about the only places where you will find a decent 'cheap' suit in Perth. You could try Marchesi Menswear too. I say 'cheap' because you're going to be paying about $600-1200 for what might not even be canvassed.

For a plain, cheap suit, I would stick with Rodger David and/or Mensland, and focus on getting it altered to fit. It doesn't sound like you're going to be too unhappy to go with them. Don't take this the wrong way but at this stage, you probably won't appreciate the difference between a well fitted suit and a well fitted high quality suit.

I'm not aware of any online retailers within Australia that carry, what I would call, decent suits at cheap prices. I don't even know if there is one that carries decent suits.

10. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

If shopping online I would check out ehaberdasher for a cheap source of canvassed suits.

Their Benjamin Sartorial range is quite good and offer fully canvassed suits for $495.

11. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Do Mensland do brands like Studio Italia, Cambridge or Rembrandt? Not the best suits out there, but with some alterations they'll work OK as a first suit. I'm not even sure how much Mensland would want for one of those (I'm guessing $500-$600; my first suit was a Cambridge that was about $500 in 2006). Perhaps put the alterations off (other than hems and cuffs) until after the school dinner.
    I'm considering adding a Benjamin to my rotation eventually. The thing is, eHaberdasher is located in the USA, so it could be a struggle to get a suit from eHaberdasher to regional Western Australia by Monday. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

12. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Most BOSS samples are in a Euro 50, but some are a Euro 52.

13. mattc

mattc Member

Zip up the freeway, on Saturday morning, and head into DJ's or Herringbone. Forrest out in Subiaco is another one that might work. Or Parfumi in Mt Lawley.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Not much chance of getting anything by Monday and less chance of it fitting.

Going to Perth Saturday seems best bet - but even then you are going to find it almost impossible to get any alterations done and at the very least you will need pants length altered. Although you could get someone to just pin them up for Monday - or that old office workers standby - the stapler.

Getting the suit in a rush like this is likely to make you spend around $500 or $600 and not get what you want at all. I wouldn't advise to do it.

I'm not sure how big Bunbury is - 70,000? or so, but that ought to be big enough to get a suit. Don't bother going to Perth.

I'm assuming you are around 18 or so and this is a High School graduation Dinner? Unless sits a private school I'd be guessing less than 50% will be wearing a tie and those that do will not have a jacket - I'd assume a small minority will actually wear a suits and tie.

Try the second hand shops / op shops around town - there must be some - you are likely to get a decent enough suit to wear for Monday - makes sure it fits at shoulders and isn't too long. If you are around 18 or so - being too short and tight might even be a bonus. Get a relative to alter the pants length. Get a darkish grey or blue.

The other alternative is to borrow a suit from someone had one last year or the year before - ask around - surely you'll know blokes who are about your size and were at school in the last few years.

http://www.google.com.au/search?cli....,cf.osb&fp=b73e29a9c39ed8a6&biw=1332&bih=559

15. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

How soon do you need it, mate? Patrick seems really chockers right now; must be the advent of Spring and with it, the wedding season. Advise you allow at least 6-8 wks (It's now been 5 weeks since I ordered mine and I'm still waiting, whereas my first suit, which was ordered in April took a record 4 weeks only!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.