Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Took a suit in to the tailors for some minor alterations, mainly lengthening the sleeves, letting out the waist and getting hems done. When I put on the pants they decided to take 2cms out as well as let the seat out as much as they could. Now the pants weren't overly tight or what have you. I could easily stuck my thumb into the waist but it seemed a little restrictive. I thought 2cms would be too much but trusted their judgement.

Everything was supposed to be ready on the 14th but they called me saying they were flat chat and wouldn't have it ready until today (19th) which is fair enough. I get a call today saying that there wasn't enough material in the seat to let it out all the way so they asked if I would be OK with getting a normal hem (I wanted cuffs) and having them use the excess material to let out the seat. I reluctantly said OK. Suit wont be ready until tomorrow.

They're nice people and gave me 10% off because I'm a friend of a regular, long time customer of theirs but now I'm beginning to worry. I need it by Monday (which I told them at the start) and I'm going to be pretty fucking pissed if the pants turn out to be too baggy. They also wanted to let down the sleeves all the way so that it would hit just above my thumb knuckle. When I said that was too long they assured me I would still be able to see some shirt cuff. They also said "no one has cuffed hems. It's not the fashion at the moment". :fu:

/rant.

--------------

Body Kouros by YSL is a nice cologne. Well at least the GF thinks so.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

2. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

Which thumb knuckle are we talking about....sounds awfully long. Best of luck.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It doesn't sound good, but I hope that the end result still looks alright.

I used to go to a tailor who would always try to convince me to have long sleeves. He used to tell me that they sleeves needed to be long when I was standing with my arms by my side because otherwise, when I lifted my arms up horizontally, my sleeves would pull up too much. I told him that I spent more time standing with my arms down than with my arms held up horizontally and that I wanted him to shorten the sleeves so that they hit my wristbone when I was standing with my arms by my sides.

It was just too much trouble to convince him to shorten the sleeves to where I wanted them on each visit so I started to use a different tailor.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Cuffed slim pants are the shits. You'll be at the forefront and in a year's time when it finally trickles down to peon fashion, you'd be 'f yeah, bitch. Was there before all you sheeples jumped on the bandwagon.'

But how does attaching extra material to the seat work?

5. jobro

jobro Senior member

If they are that slim and high cuffed, what are you going to do when the pants become un-cool "peon" fashion? Why not just go with a timeless fit?

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Because there's no such thing as timeless fit.

And I'm not talking about mega cuffs and Thom Browne length pants.

7. jobro

jobro Senior member

Ultimately not but you can ensure you clothes aren't out of date by the following year. Each to his own but I'd rather been known to dress as myself than the current fashion of the sheep.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Prof. Bear,

Is it a real tailor or an alterations person?

Mostly tailors aren't readers of fashion mags or online forums, to put it mildly. It does take a while to build up a relationship so that you both trust each other. The tailor so that s/he can trust you know what it is that you want and are not just some idiot requesting a stupid thing you dreamt up and you need to be able to trust the tailor knows what they are doing. Arguing isn't much fun or useful to building the relationship.

Don't start the relationship with your best suit. Start with a casual jacket that isn't that important, or chinos, so that the tailor and you get a feel for each other. A good tailor will know, or should know, a bit about what looks good on different body types. Sadly the world isn't perfect and many tailors are good at seeing details and not the big picture. Wood trees etc.

My bloke does great women's bespoke ( well it looks good on the dummy) , and i think that helps, as well as men's bespoke, but he and myself have gently struggled with each other on trousers breaks, and I'm not a high water man by any means, and earlier, jacket sleeve lengths. Now he sees that what I like doesn't look too bad on me he's less insistent. But that's all over nearly 4 years. And we still don't agree totally but I listen to him and he listens to me. Sometimes we both compromise.

Edit:: that sounds a bit preachy, sorry I didn't mean to talk down to you.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

Yyyyyyyyyy

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Bloody stupid iPad and touch screens

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I've seen blokes trying on suit coats and waving their arms around like they were testing it to play baseball in or bowl a cricket ball. Given the way some of them dressed perhaps they were.

13. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Sounds like the Prof needs to find a new tailor ... and he needs to tell me who currently does his alterations, so when my tailor retires or passes away (he'd be pushing 80 by now), I'll know who to avoid. :teach:

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I'm guessing someone here can help me. I require a new wallet. Something to hold a small amount of notes because I won't have much money to put in it after I get the new wallet, and some cards, say 10 at the most.

Suggestions?

15. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

Hi mate- I'm in Adelaide and I'm looking for a good tailor to do some alterations. Can I ask who you use? Sounds like you trust him, most people in this city are hopeless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.