Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quar

quar Senior member

I wasn't suggesting that you can't make friends with your tailor, but suggesting that it may be a reason for opting to go the MTM / Bespoke route seemed a bit rich.

2. meister

meister Senior member

Famous old welll regarded Aussie firm

3. Lowly Public Servant

Lowly Public Servant Well-Known Member

Nice shoes and you can't fault the speediness of Herring's delivery. Interesting that you should find that they are half a size too long. I bought a pair of consuls with a rubber sole and also think they might be half a size too long. I bought them to swap out with my other leather soled consuls on rainy days. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...96&selectedSizeID=9&selectedFitID=2&seconds=0 Two different people, same brand of shoe, same type of sole (rubber), same thoughts on length. I decided to keep mine though as the length isn't bothering me that much and the shoes are still comfy as. LPS

4. meister

meister Senior member

My Italian tailor mate is a big but disappointed Berlusconi fan. The shagging thing etc...

I/2 a size in Churchs is nothing to fret about.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. blahman

blahman Senior member

If anyone doesn't think Brooksfield shirts are under them, I went to their gloweave outlet store at DFO today and picked up a beater shirt for $10.50.

6. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Anyone have a recommendation for a Cobbler in Canberra to topy some shoes? The bloke in Fyshwick still the way to go? I've heard good things about Redpath on Garema Square though...

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents,
    I was at DJ and found some leather soled shoes. Brand called "Mason Avenue" . Leather upper,lining and out sole. The sole was Goodyear welted. Over all the shoe looked solid. Their shoes were made in China !! They are on sale for $89 down from $189 . All leather shoe for under $100 and the sole is thick leather welted and with exposed stitching. I have tried to Google search them but looks like "mason Avenue" don't have a website. Has anyone in this forum seen those shoes at DJs or used them. Just wondering if they are any good. Thanks in advance and everybody in NSW enjoy the long weekend !:)

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Mate, I have used Mister MINIT to topy 3/4 on one pairs of my shoes. The cost was $36.50. The guy at Mister MINIT said to do the 3/4 and heel combined will cost $56. This was really a test on my Florsheim. For $36 it was a decent job.
    The idea of topy sounds good and the sole will last for a very long time. But the sole does look ugly, I have only topy'ed one pair of my shoes and decided not to do it on my other pairs.

9. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

I am worried about protecting my suits and shirts from attacks from moths, silverfish and any other predators. They are stored on hangers in a built in wardrobe. What products should i use and from which retailer?

10. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I've got some pieces of cedar in the top of the wardrobe which allegedly protect against moths/silverfish. From memory I got them from somewhere like Howards Storage World.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

I would like to show some appreciation to SF buddies over the last year and a bit by posting some pics of myself in my very first suit I bought some half a decade ago which I wore to interviews only a little bit over 2 years ago to illustrate the transformation I have undergone:

Here is me in my:
    Black 36R(believe it or not) self stripe S100 Pierre Cardin suit
    Blue/gold/black Pierre Cardin silk tie.
    Purple Brooksfield shirt (Actually bought that yesterday so please ignore.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finally the Style Forum must in newbie fit pics:
    Pose with hand in pocket.
    [​IMG]

Many thanks to those who've help me along the way to this point.

Oh by the way. I popped into Azzaro the other day. Deliciously looking Canali double monks. $400 :cry:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  12. jobro

jobro Senior member

I hope your photography skills have improved since then!

13. rockv

rockv New Member

anyone been to by nicholas bespoke in sydney? seems to be very reasonably priced

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If it's the same model that is being sold by a menswear store here in Brisbane, then that's a good price, as they look to be made to a high standard and they're priced at $1000 here!

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Cant be helped. Mobile phone camera mirror photo on a gloomy cloudy Melbourne day.

Oh and is there any truth in that Rhodes and Beckett accessories (wallets and cufflinks) are sourced from the same manufacturers as that of Zegna's using the same quality leather and craftsmanship?

And if anyone's of larger stature, Herringbone at DJ's Melbourne CBD store has 3 staple suits on sale. A 46R and a 48R 2 button solid charcoal notch lapel suit for about $322. Also I see a charcoal 2button pinstripe (I think blue strip) on sale for about $650.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.