• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I'm fairly sure Boss suits used to made under license in Preston by the Flair group. That Preston site used to be a genuine 'factory outlet' as opposed to a sample shop. I went there in 1992 to buy a Boss shirt for my high school formal and it was a very different setup to what exists today.

What he said.

Had a few Made In Australia Hugo Boss items from waaaay back. Nice quality... for Boss. Might did 'em up if I can and consider if I need to B&S what's still wearable...

__PG__

Reaction score
I dropped into Rekaris today to talk about shoe care and taps/topy for my new C&J's. The guys who run the store (including the owner Steve?) are very switched on. "What shoes are they? English? Did you get them on-line? Pediwear or Herring?" :happy:

I'll just get rubber toe taps for now as I'm really enjoying the fact that the leather sole is actually water resistant....unlike the soles of my Loakes which absorbed moisture the moment you walked on damp asphalt. I'll probably Topy them in due course though because its cheaper than getting them resoled frequently.

They've only taken two days to break in as well.

eightace

Reaction score
Hats off to Herring!

Just arrived!!!

Get this - I only ordered them on Monday night - they were here 9:30 this morning!

Splendid service!

"6"

Reaction score

I'll just get rubber toe taps for now as I'm really enjoying the fact that the leather sole is actually water resistant....unlike the soles of my Loakes which absorbed moisture the moment you walked on damp asphalt.

I'd still rather put my Loakes on rather than my C&J's in the wet, crappy weather we're currently experiencing in Melbourne. Hopefully my shell cordovan longwings are dry and ready to go tomorrow.

tone76

Reaction score

They had great suits made in Melbourne I was told and closed it down. Maybe they were Flair but I think it must have been upspecced.

I'm sure this suit would have been decent back in the day ... when it still had all its buttons and didn't look as though it had been sitting at the bottom of a river for 10 years. :uhoh:

DeepBlu

Reaction score
Hi guys - is it worth going to a tailor to get trousers made? I have a slightly weird body shape that makes off the rack trousers difficult to fit.

What sort of cost would I be looking at in getting MTM trousers made?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys - is it worth going to a tailor to get trousers made? I have a slightly weird body shape that makes off the rack trousers difficult to fit.

Depending where you go between $300- $600. Tailor made will be toward the upper end and MTM lower end. Often with trousers decent Off The Rack altered competently will work for most shapes.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending where you go between $300- $600. Tailor made will be toward the upper end and MTM lower end. Often with trousers decent Off The Rack altered competently will work for most shapes.
If you go to a travelling Hong Kong tailor-type operation, you will pay about $200. Quality of the construction, including interior detailing, will be very, very ordinary but the trousers should fit well. As fxh noted above, getting something made for you by a tailor in Australia will most likely be considerably more expensive. The better the cloth, the more expensive tailor-made trousers will be. You've quite possibly done this already, but as fxh also notes, it may be worth trying on quite a few off-the-rack (OTR) trousers to see what fits you best and to then have them altered by a competent tailor. It may not be perfect, but it will be quite a lot cheaper than having pairs of trousers made up for you. However, sometimes the extra expense is worth it to get something that you really like and that (hopefully) fits you well.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with Journeyman here that the extra expense is certainly worth it if it results in several pairs of trousers you will enjoy wearing and that fit you as you would like for them to fit you. Add to that the friendship you'll likely forge through repeated custom at your tailor and you have a recipe for money well spent.

That said, if it's just to fulfil a whim of having MTM, then it's not worth the trouble. I'd opt for RTW and see what you can make work there. Although, I would very much like to have custom jeans made and am considering using "Note To Self" in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friendship with the tailor? Seriously?

Certainly - why not?
I'm friends with my tailor.
By that, I don't mean that I go around to his house for dinner or anything like that, but I enjoy talking with him and I'll often walk over to his shop just to have a chat with him, even if I don't have any work for him to do. He's a genuinely nice and pleasant person and we talk about quite a wide range of topics, in addition to talking about tailoring and clothes. Through my chats with him, I've learned a lot about the construction of men's clothing, and how various alterations can influence the way a garment sits or moves when worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads