Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I remember going into a men's wear store in Paddington in the 90's and examining a tie which was made of "100% Pure Polyester"

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

What he said.

Had a few Made In Australia Hugo Boss items from waaaay back. Nice quality... for Boss. Might did 'em up if I can and consider if I need to B&S what's still wearable...

3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I dropped into Rekaris today to talk about shoe care and taps/topy for my new C&J's. The guys who run the store (including the owner Steve?) are very switched on. "What shoes are they? English? Did you get them on-line? Pediwear or Herring?" :happy:

I'll just get rubber toe taps for now as I'm really enjoying the fact that the leather sole is actually water resistant....unlike the soles of my Loakes which absorbed moisture the moment you walked on damp asphalt. I'll probably Topy them in due course though because its cheaper than getting them resoled frequently.

They've only taken two days to break in as well.

4. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

BTW a mate of mine is looking for Chelsea boots. I put him onto Baxter but he's also found http://www.haroldboot.com.au.

Opinions/thoughts/experiences?

5. eightace

eightace Senior member

Hats off to Herring!

Just arrived!!!

Get this - I only ordered them on Monday night - they were here 9:30 this morning!

Splendid service!

6. "6"

"6" Senior member

I'd still rather put my Loakes on rather than my C&J's in the wet, crappy weather we're currently experiencing in Melbourne. Hopefully my shell cordovan longwings are dry and ready to go tomorrow.

7. tone76

tone76 Senior member

I'm sure this suit would have been decent back in the day ... when it still had all its buttons and didn't look as though it had been sitting at the bottom of a river for 10 years. :uhoh:

8. DeepBlu

DeepBlu Member

Hi guys - is it worth going to a tailor to get trousers made? I have a slightly weird body shape that makes off the rack trousers difficult to fit.

What sort of cost would I be looking at in getting MTM trousers made?

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

A step down from RMs but a step up from most others. They have a small showroom at their factory in Alphington. Friendly low key, mainly cater to the horsey crowd.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depending where you go between $300- $600. Tailor made will be toward the upper end and MTM lower end. Often with trousers decent Off The Rack altered competently will work for most shapes.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If you go to a travelling Hong Kong tailor-type operation, you will pay about $200. Quality of the construction, including interior detailing, will be very, very ordinary but the trousers should fit well. As fxh noted above, getting something made for you by a tailor in Australia will most likely be considerably more expensive. The better the cloth, the more expensive tailor-made trousers will be. You've quite possibly done this already, but as fxh also notes, it may be worth trying on quite a few off-the-rack (OTR) trousers to see what fits you best and to then have them altered by a competent tailor. It may not be perfect, but it will be quite a lot cheaper than having pairs of trousers made up for you. However, sometimes the extra expense is worth it to get something that you really like and that (hopefully) fits you well.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I'd agree with Journeyman here that the extra expense is certainly worth it if it results in several pairs of trousers you will enjoy wearing and that fit you as you would like for them to fit you. Add to that the friendship you'll likely forge through repeated custom at your tailor and you have a recipe for money well spent.

That said, if it's just to fulfil a whim of having MTM, then it's not worth the trouble. I'd opt for RTW and see what you can make work there. Although, I would very much like to have custom jeans made and am considering using "Note To Self" in Melbourne.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

13. quar

quar Senior member

Friendship with the tailor? Seriously?

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Certainly - why not?
    I'm friends with my tailor.
    By that, I don't mean that I go around to his house for dinner or anything like that, but I enjoy talking with him and I'll often walk over to his shop just to have a chat with him, even if I don't have any work for him to do. He's a genuinely nice and pleasant person and we talk about quite a wide range of topics, in addition to talking about tailoring and clothes. Through my chats with him, I've learned a lot about the construction of men's clothing, and how various alterations can influence the way a garment sits or moves when worn.

15. Gassyndrome

Gassyndrome Well-Known Member

Thats amazing. I've had pizzas that took longer than that. How are the shoes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.