Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Best of luck with the tie business Jason, I look forward to seeing the product. I'm amazed when I walk into David Jones to look at the tables and racks of ties and all I see is maybe 1 tie in a hundred that I would even wear, and it's twice the price I'd be willing to pay.

2. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks so much Selvaggio. And to PG as well. Really appreciate the tips.

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

My girlfriend picked up some nice leather shoes at a place called Rive Gauche shoes. They take awful pictures of their product on their website.

I took a picture of them here

That's the "natural" colour, but they also make them in black.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

4. jobro

jobro Senior member

I picked up some of my favorite ties in Florence, for €5.

5. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Dropped into DJ's today to pick up a cheap work shirt and look at Polo shirts.

Why oh why is it so hard to find a Polo shirt in a non-primary colour without a stupid logo on the chest?

In any case, there are Boxing-day sale prices in the 3rd floor menswear section. Rows of Zegna Milano suits, starting from $1100. A few Canali suits for the same price, and loads of sports jackets (including Kei models) for about $800. They also had some nice linen shirts for $130 and some cotton/linen trousers for about the same.

I also tried on the new Canali Milano cut. I found it very similar to the Drop 8 model 14xxxx series. However it does fit me better...the model 14xxx series pulls across my waist when I button the jacket. But, the Milano jacket is cut very short. The 52 8 R model jacket barely touched the top of my thumb..the 52 8 L was a much better length, although I'd have to take up the sleeves a bit.

6. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I was also in there at lunch and had a bit of a look at shirts but left empty handed. A few things that I think are noteworthy. That level 3 is a scary quiet, there are only 1 or 2 customers in the whole place and the staff are just standing around. In contrast getting some help at the Thomas Pink area seems impossible, is that area really unmanned?

I checked out some of the MJ Bale stuff for the first time also, had a look at the unlined seersucker jacket. Couldn't get a fit I was happy with in the shoulders though. It seems to be a much more generous cut than the herringbone jackets I've tried, is this the general consensus?

7. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Had 2 MJ Bale suits that now reside with a fellow S'fer (Hi Jaypee!)

My assessment - nice fit and cut remniscent of the H'Bone Osaka Model that was Ethan's brainchild; but not quite on the money quality-wise. E.g. fabric felt a little coarser on the Core Charcoal. Not a bad overall purchase at just over $1000, but I would not say the quality is on par with Herringbone.

Don't get me started on the shirting - all I can say is Caveat Emptor, and check the detailing veeeery carefully before you make a purchase. This may have since improved after I provided some feedback, but only time will tell.

8. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

The Thomas Pink area was manned when I was there at lunchtime.

As I was strolling around the 3rd floor...I thought how good it was to get into menswear during the global financial crisis :)

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

That makes me happy. So there are actually slimmer models of Canali in the Aussie market's now? But then also very sad since I cannot drop another $1000 on a suit at the moment.

10. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks to all for the tips re. Italy.

Now here's another one, and maybe it's a strange one, but what about Turkey?

I've never been, but is there anything to be had fashion-wise? We are going to be in Istanbul for a few days. Anything I should get while I'm there?

Cheers,

Eightace

11. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Just get along to one of those bath houses. I've never been, but it's mandatory if you make it to Istanbul, I suppose.

As for shopping, they'll likely have a Ralph Lauren store. And it'll probably be cheaper than RL here. I honestly have no idea, man. Sorry.

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

Try and find that factory that makes all of those Hugo Boss suits :laugh:

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Not an Aussie but thought I'd give my insight. Turkey is a pretty tricky place. They have very, VERY liberal counterfeiting and trademark infringement laws there. When I was there a couple months ago they had perfectly legitimate/professional looking store fronts with well-merchandized displays, etc. Upon entering one it became very apparent that most everything I handled or saw (if not everything) was fake. I actually had one shop keeper go to the length of telling me "Well, it is not real Hermes but it is made with Turkish leather, very nice, better than French leathers." Because of this I avoided any branded items. Outside of branded items they have some very nice and cheap items that are handmade in Turkey. Their leathers are actually quite nice (not Florence nice, but also a lot cheaper than Italy). They also sell a nice variety of lightweight scarves, many of which were quite nice/of high quality. The last thing I saw (which I did not purchase) were their handmade rugs. These were really beautiful pieces, all handmade (literally being made in front of you by old ladies) out of very nice materials. Alas, I have no need for rugs, but perhaps if you're looking to decorate? All and all I don't know that there is much in Turkey in terms of "fashion" items, but it is a cool place to check out some handmade artisan goods. If nothing else it is a really cheap place to get drunk, so there's that :). Hope that helps you out a bit.

14. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

Charlie? Henry? Jason? Is that you?

There was a guy in Canberra in the 90's who sold vibrant ties, was Canberran of the year.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

ha ha I can see how this would be confusing. Ok here is the lowdown.

My name is Jason.

Charlie is my middle name.

Henry Carter was my grandfathers name. Our family is from rural Parkes in NSW yet in old photo's he always looks great and is almost always wearing a tie, despite working in what was essentially manual labour at the local airport all of his life.

That's the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.