Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

you might have me on that one.

how could I be so shallow :embar: (quite easily!)

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

On ya mate. :)

All the best, and we look forward to being your customers!

3. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

I might check it out, though I expect the only thing I'll be paying for is half an hour less sleep.

4. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I checked it out this morning before work - Average at best.

Some ok basic ties, but nothing different to the factory outlet. Just a heap more banker types floating around thinking that they're killing it

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. jhof5421

jhof5421 Active Member

Agreed, however did manage to pick up a navy blue suit in the core line for 30% off which was nice.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Cheers guys.

Re Herringbone sale, was there any blazers/sportscoats floating around by any chance? As it happens i'll be in Sydney on Thursday taking my partner to the airport, so was thinking about ducking in to the city in the arvo before heading home.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Good luck with it hope it works for you. Prices sound good, getting a good inexpensive tie in Canberra is getting pretty hard Blades Menswear are overstocked on bland conservative overpriced business ties and John Hanna have not had a sale of their ties since I can't remember and as for DJ's don't make me laugh. Was in Sydney on the weekend, and seriously considering a return think I have had enough of effing gum trees, public servants.

8. meister

meister Senior member

AUD100 for a seven fold is good value = great value. The only thing you are fighting is the "anti-wearing a tie in the office" thing that is going around.

Re Brownlow:

Why would a woman as beautiful as Rebecca Twigley have the lips done? You gotta ask.

Edelsten looked like he had come out of some cryogenic tube.

No cascading boobs all pretty tame compared to a few years ago.

A devout Muslim WAG wearing full Muslim attire = a total contrast with the Hollywood look of the other WAGs.

A lot of bad fitting jackets on the blokes

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/gallery-e6frg6n6-1226147265412?page=1

9. jhof5421

jhof5421 Active Member

There were quite a few in the navy cotton with light grey elbow patches, the navy denim style and the beige (which almost has a moleskin feel to it) which both have a lot of pick stitching. Other than that not a great deal.

Can't wait to see the ties! All the best.

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Great thanks for that (and the good luck). I quite liked the denim type one, saw it at the outlet a few weeks back but they didn't have any in my size then, I might check it out in the hope they have some 40R their.

Cheers
    Jason

11. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I thought she looked fantastic in the one picture I've seen. I'm sure there'll be all sorts of patronising and derogatory (sp?) remarks in the tabloid papers today though.

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Lucky you. No point shopping in Venice unless you are from the planet mega-rich. Rome and Florence both have all the BIG Italian names - Gucci, Pucci, Fiorucci...(to misquote Sister Sledge) if that's your thing. Florence has a clearance mall just out of town with the big name stuff at decent discounts. Florence also has nice leather stuff. There are a couple of outdoor markets and the leather goods there are okay quality and not too expensive if you bargain, but, better still are the leather shops and work shops around Santa Croce. They're more expensive but the work is top notch. As well as the big names, Florence has quite a few small independent shoe shops and they have some nice things. If you are travelling with a lady friend, she will particularly enjoy these. There are a couple of good ones in the short street, Via Vacchereccia, which connects the Piazza della Signoria with the main shopping drag - they just look like ordinary ladies shoe shops, but the price/quallity balance is good. Do you, or someone you know, like gloves? Personally, I wear them only if I am somewhere really cold - ie never in Australia (outside fo the ski fields). Florence has an amazing glove shop, Madova, just on the far side of the Ponte Vecchio. In both Florence and Rome, the two big Italian department store chains are worth a look for quality basics - COIN and La Rinascente (the latter being slightly more upmarket). These might be good if you are there at sale time (they have two a year and the periods are regulated by the Government - bu the no sales outside sale period rule seems widely breached - all very Iatalian) If you want really high-end tailoring, Liverano is in Florence (do a search on here). A couple of non-clothes related recommendations - go into the Mercato Centrale - central food markets in Florence and have a quick lunch at the eatery in the corner - cheap as chips and la vera cucina Fiorentina. There is another, smaller produce market on the edge of town, bit hard to find, but the market lunch place there is even better. Be warned - all over by about 2pm. A nice place for a proper meal is Il Santo Bevitore in via Santo Spirito - I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Really good food, fantastic local wine list, pleasant decor (no red check table cloths or little football shrines) and English is spoken if you need it. Have fun.

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Jason, good luck with the tie venture. Look forward to seeing them. Pricing sounds good, too.

I think if you were at the outlet recently, youv've seen the same stock they will have at the pop-up. I was at the out let last week and everything (except for the hanging up shirts) had been boxed - I assume for this pop-up sale.

14. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Hey Charlie

I have a Size 50 navy Canali unlined odd jacket circa 2002-2003.

This one's a true Size 50; with larger shoulders and a fuller chest. It's also unvented and I'm not sure how you feel about that.

Any interest? If so, I might send you some pics ans measurements later.

Cheers
    CEP

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

The wife and I were in Florence and 2001 and I bought a leather jacket and some nice leather boots. In reflection the boots were a cheap rubber sole glue-job, however the leather quality was beautiful and great value for money. My wife also bought a leather jacket and leather pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.