Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

As per my post above, I've created a separate thread about a Brisbane Styleforum get-together click here for details.

I hope to see some new faces there!

2. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

Bought my first knit tie today - Rhodes & Becket navy blue with horizontal red stripes. It'll be interesting to see the reaction it gets at work.....

also bought a Thomas Pink sports coat which I think is the single most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought (excluding suits) :embar:
    I'm not normally one to lash out like that but it was one of those items of clothing you put on and it's just "right"....

3. aKula

aKula Senior member

Welcome to styleforum.

You'll be buying bespoke overcoats in no time.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

That's weird. I only wear tasteful pure cotton pyjamas over night. Never a flannelette shirt.

5. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I just want to say that looks to be one of the best dressed SF meetings I have seen. Melbourne Australia has outclassed even the HK members.

6. jzbar

jzbar Active Member

Those would be Mark McNairy's. I just won a pair from the chaps at Sole Devotion, and I can attest to them being the next level of awesome (shoes and shop). I was tossing up between a number of styles, but ultimately went with the stone coloured brogues. Tim, who works there, was wearing a pair of the brown whole-cut derby McNairy's, and they were wearing in really nicely. Had mine on for the past two days, and they are immediately comfortable, and I can see them just getting better and better as they get beaten up a bit. Definitely my summer shoe.

7. jzbar

jzbar Active Member

Just a guess, but I'd suggest that P. Johnson has had a lot to do with this outcome... A good thing, too!

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

The women will all want to rub it. And the older gents may go 'Hey! I remember wearing those back in the days! Thats what I used to wear back in the 60's/70's!' That's what I go when I first turned up to work in a knit tie anyway.

A Fine Pair of Shoes sells a few E width shoes - mostly C&Js and some Loakes and maybe Alfred Sargents do also come in Es. Or you can forget about the whole Goodyear Welted Shoe fetish of Style Forum and jump ship to Italian - mostly Blake stitched - shoes as they are usually narrower.

Just got my free Rhodes and Beckett square. Testing it out see how it can be worn. Here's one pic of the square. Bit too matchy matchy actually:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

9. Philip

Philip Senior member

Hey everyone, I asked a while ago about where to get cheap alterations done in Sydney and people suggested Chinatown, anywhere in particular in Chinatown?

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

I don't think anyone here would actually recommend or even use the alterationists in Chinatown. Just look a few up on the internet or in the telephone book, give them a call and ask how much they charge.

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Melbourne guys, I saw a nice pair of oxblood Loake loafers for $20 in the Red Cross op shop in Brunswick St Fitzroy today. Size 8 IIRC. Don't think they were cordovan, but didn't have a lot of wrinkling either.

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Hi T!

Was in Charles Nahkle's shop the other day and he mentioned you were also one of his customers.

Actually, I've paid stupid prices for shirts before (and paid dearly for it with the depleted bank account), but ever since finding Charles and P Johnson, I've happily begun to understand true value for money.

Cheers
    CEP

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Okay, so which one of youse bought the elephant scrotum shoes for $1,213 (4 bids)?

14. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Guilty.

But those shoes are the shi*tz mate!

BTW everyone: Thanks for all the replies with regard to my sale items. As most have not yet sold, I'll probably put the jackets and other goodies yet to come on the B&S Forum; I've already placed the ties there as you can see from my sig. Will, of course, provide links for convenience.

CEP

15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I wish you were a couple of sizes larger CUP, just the kind of stuff I'm looking for at the moment :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.