• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, for any Brisbanites out there, a few of us Brisbane-based SFers are planning on having a get-together one evening in a few weeks' time.
It will probably be one evening after work, and will most likely be in the city or in Fortitude Valley.

We'll create a separate thread for it in the next day or two, and it would be great to see some other SF members there.

As per my post above, I've created a separate thread about a Brisbane Styleforum get-together click here for details.

I hope to see some new faces there!

MickyD

Reaction score
Bought my first knit tie today - Rhodes & Becket navy blue with horizontal red stripes. It'll be interesting to see the reaction it gets at work.....

also bought a Thomas Pink sports coat which I think is the single most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought (excluding suits) :embar:
I'm not normally one to lash out like that but it was one of those items of clothing you put on and it's just "right"....

aKula

Reaction score
Welcome to styleforum.

You'll be buying bespoke overcoats in no time.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aussie clothing successes:

"It's been tough recently so I decided to pull back from overseas and focus on the local market," Greensmith said.

"Recessions are hard, but grunge was the worst. It nearly killed us. People went from wearing expensive leather jackets to flannelette shirts overnight."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...at-grunge-forgot/story-e6frg8k6-1226144928954

That's weird. I only wear tasteful pure cotton pyjamas over night. Never a flannelette shirt.

jzbar

Reaction score

Melbourne gents – have we discussed soleDevotion? I stumbled across the Little Collins St store yesterday on an afternoon stroll. Plenty of English made, welted shoes that can only be described as casual (apparently the brand is a NY label, but I can’t for the life of me remember the name). I could easily see myself in a pair of off-white wingtip suede brogues as my new summer shoes.

Prices were typically steep (A$450), but with all the talk of buying local, I thought it’s worth a mention.

Those would be Mark McNairy's. I just won a pair from the chaps at Sole Devotion, and I can attest to them being the next level of awesome (shoes and shop). I was tossing up between a number of styles, but ultimately went with the stone coloured brogues. Tim, who works there, was wearing a pair of the brown whole-cut derby McNairy's, and they were wearing in really nicely. Had mine on for the past two days, and they are immediately comfortable, and I can see them just getting better and better as they get beaten up a bit. Definitely my summer shoe.

jzbar

Reaction score

I just want to say that looks to be one of the best dressed SF meetings I have seen. Melbourne Australia has outclassed even the HK members.

Just a guess, but I'd suggest that P. Johnson has had a lot to do with this outcome... A good thing, too!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought my first knit tie today - Rhodes & Becket navy blue with horizontal red stripes. It'll be interesting to see the reaction it gets at work.....

The women will all want to rub it. And the older gents may go 'Hey! I remember wearing those back in the days! Thats what I used to wear back in the 60's/70's!' That's what I go when I first turned up to work in a knit tie anyway.

Who makes a good range of narrow fitting shoes that can be had for somewhere between 200-350 delivered (i.e. Loakes prices)? The usual suspects (Herring/Pediwear) don't seem to have much of a range of narrow fits whatsoever.
I'm just after the usual suspects for work - oxfords, wingtips etc.

A Fine Pair of Shoes sells a few E width shoes - mostly C&Js and some Loakes and maybe Alfred Sargents do also come in Es. Or you can forget about the whole Goodyear Welted Shoe fetish of Style Forum and jump ship to Italian - mostly Blake stitched - shoes as they are usually narrower.

Just got my free Rhodes and Beckett square. Testing it out see how it can be worn. Here's one pic of the square. Bit too matchy matchy actually:

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I asked a while ago about where to get cheap alterations done in Sydney and people suggested Chinatown, anywhere in particular in Chinatown?

jobro

Reaction score

Hey everyone, I asked a while ago about where to get cheap alterations done in Sydney and people suggested Chinatown, anywhere in particular in Chinatown?

I don't think anyone here would actually recommend or even use the alterationists in Chinatown. Just look a few up on the internet or in the telephone book, give them a call and ask how much they charge.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melbourne guys, I saw a nice pair of oxblood Loake loafers for $20 in the Red Cross op shop in Brunswick St Fitzroy today. Size 8 IIRC. Don't think they were cordovan, but didn't have a lot of wrinkling either.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in the Sydney store yesterday the salesman was telling me he had sold a Tom Ford leather jacket for $11,000 the day before.

Hi T!

Was in Charles Nahkle's shop the other day and he mentioned you were also one of his customers.

Actually, I've paid stupid prices for shirts before (and paid dearly for it with the depleted bank account), but ever since finding Charles and P Johnson, I've happily begun to understand true value for money.

Cheers
CEP

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Okay, so which one of youse bought the elephant scrotum shoes for $1,213 (4 bids)?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, so which one of youse bought the elephant scrotum shoes for $1,213 (4 bids)?

Guilty.

But those shoes are the shi*tz mate!

BTW everyone: Thanks for all the replies with regard to my sale items. As most have not yet sold, I'll probably put the jackets and other goodies yet to come on the B&S Forum; I've already placed the ties there as you can see from my sig. Will, of course, provide links for convenience.

CEP

Last edited:

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
I wish you were a couple of sizes larger CUP, just the kind of stuff I'm looking for at the moment :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads