Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Melbourne gents – have we discussed soleDevotion? I stumbled across the Little Collins St store yesterday on an afternoon stroll. Plenty of English made, welted shoes that can only be described as casual (apparently the brand is a NY label, but I can’t for the life of me remember the name). I could easily see myself in a pair of off-white wingtip suede brogues as my new summer shoes.

Prices were typically steep (A$450), but with all the talk of buying local, I thought it’s worth a mention.

2. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I've always thought if you were to graph spending habits vs. wealth, it would have quite a distinct hump, in that people who are middling to medium high wealth (and probably 'new' money) are willing to spend exorbitant amounts of money on things that don't necessarily deserve it, but people who are MORE wealthy realise the folly of excessive consumption and that's how they became that wealthy. There would probably then be another spike up for the obscenely wealthy for whom spending $11,000 on a fashion item (as opposed to a style item...) is the same as me buying a pair of $20 canvas runners from the Puma outlet.

This may of course be complete and utter bullshit and I don't know what I'm talking about :)

3. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

edit: nevermind....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

4. meister

meister Senior member

The Loake Kempton chukkas are 1880s from what I have seen.

10/4 spot on observation. The Pom upper class would wear their clothes to death and then some. Prince Charles is not alone in the thrift department. But then a cursory look at these renovation shows would indicate living the life of Lord of the Manor in a 17/8th century pile is very expensive upkeep wise.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

5. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Yes. They have a few models in stock.

They'll also sell you the C&J Hallams you are after for $500.

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Who makes a good range of narrow fitting shoes that can be had for somewhere between 200-350 delivered (i.e. Loakes prices)? The usual suspects (Herring/Pediwear) don't seem to have much of a range of narrow fits whatsoever.

Brannock tells me I am US 11B or 11C, so really quite narrow. For the Loakes I owned I sized all the way down to a 9F and it still didn't fit very well, even with an insole. Time to give another brand a try. In terms of UK sizing I need E fits.

I'm just after the usual suspects for work - oxfords, wingtips etc.

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

8. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

reminds me of the joke about the two russian oligarchs walking down the street:
    first guy says "Have you seen my new suit? Cost me $20,000!!!"
    second guy says "Are you crazy? You could have bought the same one for $30,000 two doors down!!!!"

9. tomee

tomee Senior member

is the stitching Gold or something?

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

^ I think those jeans and that comment about the $11,000 leather jacket only prove that some people have more money than sense.

Or else its a I can afford it so I'll do it. I know Hunter S Thompson always maintained that the seriously rich are different from the rest of us!

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I always thought that was F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Anyway, for any Brisbanites out there, a few of us Brisbane-based SFers are planning on having a get-together one evening in a few weeks' time.
    It will probably be one evening after work, and will most likely be in the city or in Fortitude Valley.

We'll create a separate thread for it in the next day or two, and it would be great to see some other SF members there.

12. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

That is absolutely insane. TF items in Australia seems significantly higher than in US in most items sold at Harrolds.
    Does TF shirts in US go for $600? I thought they were $350 or somethin'.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

13. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Awesome. I will pop by next week. I hope to try the G&G on. If they havent got what I want, I may have to resort to online orders.
    I think Quar might be the one seeking for C&J's....... I'm Quarks (it gets confusing..).

14. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

You may find the price that American Tailors charge for an order from G&G is competitive with a direct order from G&G anyway.

15. meister

meister Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.