Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Why would you want to pull your boot off in a business situation?

Anyway easy to pull off in any situation - just undo laces and wriggle foot out of boot.

or

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

2. meister

meister Senior member

Yeah I have a similar problem.....:embar::nodding:

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

That thing looks like would scratch or make an indent on the heel of your shoes over time.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

When I click on
    www.americantailors.com.au

firefox is blocking and telling me its an unsafe phishing site.

American Tailors site comes up briefly then transfers me to another site.

Other people having the same problem?

I was only in there Friday - I wonder if they know? or have they let the domain lapse?

Maybe I should tell them.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

A few years back I bought a pair of Kangaroo Comfort Craftsman I went down from a G to F in width due to the softness.suppleness of the leather, I wonder if this would be an issue in terms of these, which I have to admit are good excuse to go into the RM store the next time I am in Civic and give them the once over.

By the way how are you travelling with the ipad? Finding it useful? I just wish someone would come up with a free wifi guide to the major capitals of Australia. Most hotels I notice are charging a flat $10 access fee at present for wifi.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

yeah - I used home made ones when I was on the farm - you can make them easily and line them with a bit of leather or felt or sheepskin. A deep V works as well as the U shape.

blahman - I want you to walk into David Jones walk up to the woman on the help desk and ask: "Excuse me, my name is blahman, can you tell me where I can get felt"

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

How much?
    Is she an attractive young lady?
    Is she your daughter?

Yeah the AT site is messed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Can't live without it.

Yeah travelling over to Adelaide - we took 3 days - I refused to pay any of the outrageous charges by motels/hotels. A coffee at McDonalds and free wifi most times. Mine also has smElstra Pigpond, 3G access, which luckily I don't pay for for, but 3G is as slow as a wet week in Wangarratta. 3G is ok for a bit of mail and a catch up but not for downloading.

Battery on iPad is fantastic - I've had a solid 8 hours of browsing and notetaking at a two day conference on it.

Alright for short emails. Great for web browsing- alright for a quick post to a forum but no good for long emails, editing documents or letters. Seems to store a lot of the old emails up in the cloud - so if you go back it has to download from ISP or mail box. I assume this adds to download quotas on 3G.

Not transparent or able to see under the bonnett. eg its hard to know how and where you've saved something. I hate that. Doesnt seem possible to save emails in as a document. I have to send emails to myself if i want to save documents on my desktop/server.

Basically you have to do things the way Apple has decided - I hate that bit.

Its alright to have a quick read of THE AGE through teh app but bloody hopeless if like me you like to scan two pages of the newspaper ata atime. So at breakfast I still prefer the dead tree version.

Ona 500 page report it is hopeless to read fast. I still have to print out. It forces you to read a paragraph at a time and makes me about 10 times slower reading long documents. So if you are a slow reader its ok but a fast scanner reader its a roadblock.

Same with a long agenda - my last ones were 2 X 200 page agenda. One board I got it all in one PDF. Ok in one way but if you want to scroll back or forward to another agenda item its a pain and sometimes scrolls past or misses the item. You can avoid this by "bookmarking" items in Good Reader or whatever its called but this takes time.

The other 200 page agenda came as 14 or so seperate PDFs. In many ways this was much better as each one was an agenda item. You do have to go out of one into the other but its easier than one big doco.

The best solution would be to have one big 200 pages with hyperlinks to each item and sub items and each page with a HOME link. I'm yet to explore with the Board secretary just how practical and time consuming this would be.

There is also the practical issue that nerdy work arounds that I come up with are often not acceptable to other less gadget /tach savvy people.

iPad doesn't multi task - according to me. Its bloody annoying. I mean I cant go to one web page and start downloading a document then switch to another to page while it downloads. It seems to cease download once you change pages. You cant really have multiple tabs open. Maybe I just need more knowledge.

If I was buying it myself I wouldnt. I'd get an android model.

Apple is getting too much like MS used to be. Think s they know better than the user. An example is the stupid bloody USB /charger - non standard - you can't just borrow a USB cord and whack it in.

Its not a laptop replacement but does many things a laptop can do - it isnt a phone but is like a smart phone.

I'd say its ideal if you are an all Apple shop or home. You need a desk top as the main system / server/ storage and a phone and an iPad.

I use it while watching TV and in bed and in meetings for reading and taking notes and ocassionally finding information to back up my arguments in meetings..

9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I have a pair of those RM chukkas in brown kangaroo leather. I like them a lot. I bought them at the RM outlet at Sydney Olympic Park for $220 - they are seconds, but not too much so.

Only thing is that the descripton posted by fxh has them coming with a microfiber sock lining, whereas mine has deep red leather lining. Anyway, fxh, I agree with you the leather is really lovely (though it does tend to 'chip' a bit).

10. Teggeh

Teggeh Active Member

I give up.

I've tried a dozen dry cleaners in Canberra. I am yet to get my items back when they've said they can get them back by. In this case, it's going to potentially cost me a job.

Dropped all my suits, shirts and pants off at the Dry cleaners in Woden shopping centre (first time going there as I make my way around Canberra trying them until someone can deliver on time!), dropped them off on Thursday. Go to pick them up today. Not ready.

I have an interview tomorrow. I fucking give up. It seems fucking impossible in Canberra.

*sigh*

11. ar3nbe

ar3nbe Member

Hey fellas,

Can anyone suggest a decent Tailor on the Sydney CBD area ?

I'm looking for some basic alterations (hem trousers and shorten blazer sleeves), but also some more complex ones such as bringing in the waist on some shirts and jackets.

Most of my clothes aren't crazy expensive so I don't really want to be paying huge amounts of money, but there also not cheap so I want decent work. I just think its a little silly paying $30 to hem a pair of $150 pants.

Any ideas ?

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

If I was buying it myself I wouldnt. I'd get an android model.

Apple is getting too much like MS used to be. Think s they know better than the user. An example is the stupid bloody USB /charger - non standard - you can't just borrow a USB cord and whack it in.

The biggest pain in the arse is that we have to do everything through iTunes. With droids, I can just drag and drop whatever.

Anyway, it seams that A Fine Pair of Shoes are selling a number of Afred Sargents at a low low price of 85GBP if anyone's interested.

13. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Blahman , yeah I forgot about iTunes . I loathe it absolutely. It's hopeless and tries to take over plus there's no logic and you can't make it do want you want, it always knows best. I hate it.

And you have to use it. I'm also told that the "backup" it does isn't a proper backup. I have to suss it out more.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.