1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tone76

tone76 Senior member

In Australian Members, there is often at least a small amount of tongue hitting a small amount of cheek. ;)

Meanwhile on a different tangent, FedEx suck balls. I bought myself some jumpers from a most SF Approved[​IMG] retailer, Brooks Brothers. Unfortunately, they will only ship OS via FedEx. Despite my parcel landing in Adelaide (very early) on Tuesday morning, FedEx's Adelaide depot decided to sit on my parcel for two days for no apparent reason. :fu:

On the plus side, I am now (almost) fully equipped for winter.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. fxh

fxh Senior member

tone - I once had Fed Ex leave a card that meant unless I could guarantee an exact time to be home I had to travel across Melbourne at inconvenient hours and a round trip of 1.5 hours.

I'll bet BB didn't call them "jumpers"

3. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

That's a nice price for the handgrades - I paid 595euro for a pair in Paris last year :embar:

4. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Relieved to hear that!

I am all in favour of novice posters here being provided with advice from more experienced members - especially on this sub-forum, which commendably is far less snipy than many others.

My point is that it what may or may not be SF "approved' is really so much twaddle. Group think is rife on SF e.g. double monks, trouser cuffs, OCBD with roll, jackets with soft shoulders, pocket squares etc etc. These are by and large ephemeral trends and not so different to trends that pervade the world of fashion, which SF purports (affects ?) to disdain.

Disclaimer: Like many others on this sub-forum I have on numerous occasions in the past purchased from SF sponsors and other popular SF vendors, and will no doubt do so in the future. In some of my previous posts I have endorsed a few of these vendors.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Got a pair of Carmina's in the front window I noticed the other day. Black, double monk, split toe.

6. The Ernesto

Online tracking brings more first world problems.

7. lennier

lennier Senior member

Anyone know of local (at least not overseas) sellers of grenadine ties? No time to order from the usual suspects overseas if I decide to go this way. A sensible price tag would be nice too, although probably a big ask.

Thanks!

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

Decide to go which way?

9. lennier

lennier Senior member

Rather more enigmatic than I intended.. the way of a new grenadine tie was what I meant, rather than stick with something I already have or can more routinely source. As background (not that it really matters) I'm attempting to navigate the challenging waters of a 'cocktail attire' invitation which probably falls short of extending to a dinner suit (clarification sought from the hostess, as per correct etiquette :) ). Current thought is navy suit with white shirt and a light grey or silver grenadine, to try to avoid too much of a straight business suit look.

It's a bummer as I was hoping to get to use the new PJohnson dinner suit, which now seems unlikely unless I receive firm instructions to that affect from said hostess!

10. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Indeed. The word 'jumper' is clearly not SF Approved[​IMG].

Usually, online tracking is a lagging indicator rather than a leading indicator. I'm used to seeing online tracking telling me that a parcel has landed in Adelaide a good 24 hours after I've taken delivery of the same. As if I don't have enough first world problems already ...

11. The Ernesto

lol. True enough, but it doesn't stop you looking back and thinking 'Why was it in Sydney for two damn days! I needed that jumper earlier!'.

12. eightace

eightace Senior member

A question for the Sydneysiders:

My leather jacket over time has discoloured in places, as you might be able to see on the shoulder seam in the photo below.

[​IMG]

This 'greying' is really all over the jacket, especially near the pockets and the ends of the sleeves.

I would like to get it treated, and I spoke to these people who indicated they could "respray" it, but I would like to hear of others' experiences if possible.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Eightace

13. MikeCitizen

MikeCitizen New Member

Hey guys,

anyone know where to get a nice suit for about $800-900 in Melbourne?

I know it's not a lot of money, but it's a suit for regular use and will get a lot of wear and tear.

Any help appreciated :)

Visiting Godwin Charlie tomorrow and Rhodes & Beckett, maybe go down Lt. Collins street and into David Jones again to check some stuff out.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

What about Azzaro in South Melbourne?

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

If the British style suits you then yes Rhodes & Beckett are worth a look, I was in there today and that had some suits still on sale. In a similar vein perhaps check out Strickland & Sons at the top end of Bourke St, but I've not been in there in ages. DJs etc most likely a waste of time unless they happen to have something good on deep discount. And yes Azzaro as Gerry suggested well worth a look, their stock varies week to week though so luck of the draw as to what they have.

16. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Godwin & Charlie was 100 percent fused last time I popped in there a while back in my early SF days (and the sales assistant was strangely proud of the fact) - the more recent stuff also seems to be a bit more fashion forward (skinny lapels, short jacket length, etc), which could make it appear dated before you have finished getting your full mileage out of it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  17. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi mate , have you rang these guys ?- Coombs Shoe Services Shop 21, Strand Arcade (off Pitt Street Mall) Sydney, NSW 2000 Ph: + 61 2 9231 1784 I don't know if they do leather jacket but worth a phone call.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  18. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents, a quick one. Its regarding "Josephs Shoes " at Pitt St store. My work colleague was there on last Wednesday during his lunch break. As soon as he pooped into the store a Sales assistant (old looking man) approached him and asked him "How much was his budget" . He said around $200. To his surprise the Sales assistants advised him to go to "lowes" . What a C*nt !!
    I read similar story about Josephs shoes before. Thank god I never waked into their store. Comments like this would make me do things only to regret later !

19. eightace

eightace Senior member

MD2010, thanks for the tip about Coombs, and your mate's story about Joseph's is no great surprise. I've dropped in there a few times, and found them abrupt and abrasive.

But I recommend a trip in there, if only to see the price they're asking for a pair of Church's. Next time you're bored, go in and pick up any pair of Church's, turn them over and check the price. AND, get this, it will probably be a sale price. When you've picked your jaw up off the floor, as you can head back out and suavely tell the sales assistant that you're going to Lowes - or Herrings.

20. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

I would have just said "nah I'd rather just hop online and buy from a UK shop"

:slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.