Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdudders

mdudders Member

My brother has done this before. I am unsure as to whether one should or not =/

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

There's no need to go to a tailor to get measured up. A good alterationist or sensible friend with a bit of knowledge can measure you enough for the online MTM gig to work ok.

I did manage to get my optometrist to measure me up for glasses that I ordered online but then he made the lenses, or more correctly got them made, and fitted the lenses and glasses on me. For a fee of course. But we had discussed it and he was interested in the frames from online himself.

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Unless you are willing to pay for his services then yes it's bad form. Tailors make bugger all as it is without having their time wasted.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. I have heard that some tailors will measure you up and give you the measurements, for a fee.

As an example, a friend of mine needed to get a traditional outfit from overseas for a wedding, and it was going to be made specifically for the event. He went to a local tailor, explained the situation, paid him for the measurements and was then able to send the info to the tailor overseas.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

5. neyus

neyus Senior member

I think manufacturers insist upon working buttonholes because they probably think it adds value to the product. It is something that manufacturers have caught on to recently, that and pick stitching on everything. But MJ bale wouldn't be the only manufacturer to do this. Herringbone and a bunch of other brands also do this. And if they aren't working they usually put some pretty heavy stitching there anyway which means that if the buttons and stitching are removed you will still see the evidence of the hole.

From my limited experience with purchasing items over the internet it would appear that most American retailers don't sew any buttonholes into the sleeves fake or otherwise, which makes those kind of alterations alot easier.

6. neyus

neyus Senior member

I do find it a little bit off putting to be asked to measure someone so that they can hire/buy or get a suit made else where. I usually oblige and in some cases charge a small fee. Usually $10.00 or something nominal like that. Im used to it now and just go a head with it. Theres no point turning people away if its going to turn customers away.

7. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

FYI the Scabal suits are fused, not that there is anything wrong with that except for the price

- as long as you tell them.
    - though I know of a SYD based SFer (that no longer posts) & his SYD based tailor got shirts & sports coats made up for them by Peter Lee in HKG then asked Peter to sew in "said" SYD based tailor.. Now that is poor form.. Funny as Peter just said sure & charged them like wounded bulls

8. Tano

Tano Senior member

The alterations tailor charged me $25 for measurements. Since they don't make suits or shirts then they were happy to help. The measurements didn't help since they were inaccurate. .

9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I think this is often the case with the better RTW brands in Australia. I bought a light weight striped (like seersucker) cotton blazer from H-bone earlier this year. No working cuffs, but very detailed 'faux' button holes in contrast coloured thread - only option was to take the sleeves up at the shoulder. This was not a huge deal, but they came back still too long:fu: and I still haven't go t around to having them fixed up.

I use a couple of alteration tailors. They both do good work and purport to make up full garments (though I don't think I would go that far)...but why do they (and just about every other tailor I have dealt with) insist on setting my trouser and sleeve cuffs too long. They will eventually do it as I ask, but there is always this resistance. And I don't want my gear Thom B short either - I want it just so...slight break on the leg and 1cm of shirt cuff showing. Why is it so?

10. neyus

neyus Senior member

Ive noticed that most shop assistants or tailors prefer a longer sleeve or leg. I've worked at a number of stores as a sales assistant and most men come in with their wives and mothers, try on a suit, then sit down at the nearest chair after I have pinned the leg length and see if I can see their socks. They do a similar thing when gauging sleeve length they usually bend there wrist or something similar to a heil hitler salute. I find it most bizarre. Sometime I rebuke them, sometimes we compromise, a few times unfortunately I've had to give in.

11. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

Looking to change from my usual alterations place (which appears to be the standard SF haunt going by past posts).
    Any other suggestions/recommendations (preferably from personal experience) for alterations in Melbourne?

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

The problem is that they brought their mothers and wives. Scourge of men's shopping experience and menswear advice.

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yes - I've finally trained my alterations ladies to know what I want. I have even got them to confidently take up trousers and sew cuffs, which they were very hesitant about to begin with.

You just have to be patient and firm, and don't leave until you get what you want. Certainly don't settle for taking their advice if you are not convinced (though if you have a good tailor they generally have a good eye for what looks good and is in style as well as being technically proficient).

14. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I usually find myself in disagreement with alteration tailors about the length of my pants - invariably, they they pin them far too long, with too much break. Sometimes I have to get them to pin them 3 times before the length is correct! Similiar problem occurs with jacket sleeve length. This may be an Aussie thing - I didn't find it such an issue when I was living in London.

15. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Agreed :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.