Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Brics dark brown leather and micro-suede attache with double gusset handles.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

And fill your stomach with as much birds nest, frog jelly, shark fin and dry scallops as you can back there because they all suck or we don't have it over here. Also have a couple of shirts and suits made there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

3. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I can't read invisible ink.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Oh, nice work! Be sure to post this on the thrift bragging thread. Not only will you gain great kudos, but someone there may well snap them up with no b&s hassle.

5. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Just arrived back from Herringbone in Collins Place. It was nice to see so many C&J shoes on display. I spent a bit of time chatting with the manager, Christian, who explained that he can match online prices for C&J - good to know!

6. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I had a quick look in there at lunchtime too. VERY interesting that they can match online prices. I liked the suede brogues that were on the shelf on the right as you walk in the door, though TBH I don't know what I'd wear them with :)

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Removed by admin? Username "MJBris" is a little suss.....

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Hunt Leather have been around for yonks and they have some nice stuff but the markups are ridiculous. Barantani briefcases that go for €350-400 they sell here for $1,500.....

9. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

I thought RL doesn't ship to Australia?

10. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Not directly. You need to use a shipping service like Shipito or ComGateway to get stuff from RL USA to Australia.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I had my family buy me a Filson Field Satchel for my 50th very good bag big enough to cart around what I need for work. Got it for about $500 US at the time through Solomon Brothers in Huston considerably cheaper than buying from Filson and it took less than a week to arrive via US postal services.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

The farewell sign has been hung out, the remaining reels of cotton sold and Mr Apidopoulos's shop, barely changed from the 1970s, will be handed to new owners. Daughter Angela Pantazakos said it might be time for the emotions to start flowing.

''It really is the end of an era … he's one of the icons here on Smith Street,'' she said.

Mr Apidopoulos was born in Greece in 1940 and his father died early, leaving his mother with four children and a young relative to raise on her own. Her son, Tony, decided to take on a tailoring apprenticeship at the age of 17.

''He came from such a poor background that he wanted to be able to clothe his family,'' Mrs Pantazakos said. ''He loved the suits, the whole tailoring business, making something from nothing and making it beautiful.''

At 20, Tony and his mother emigrated to Australia. The young man, who didn't speak English, found tailoring work in a factory for several years before moving on to Berensen Tailors, where he first learned to make police uniforms. In 1976, he decided to go it alone, starting Tony the Tailor at 119 Smith Street, before moving to his current shop at No. 313. His wife, Christine, has been heavily involved all the way along.

''I come here to this shop in [May] 1979 and in August 1979 I start the police uniforms and the motorbike breeches,'' Mr Apidopoulos said.

He is one of a small handful to still make the uniforms. Thousands of police have come through the store for their fittings, from constables all the way up to deputy commissioners. ''Can't remember, can't count it,'' he laughs when asked how many uniforms he's made. Working with police is undoubtedly his favourite part - ''because I like the job … they respect you, they like you''.

Mr Apidopoulos's retirement comes as Victoria Police prepares for its first major uniform overhaul in 30 years. Darker, New York-style uniforms are set to be introduced next August.

Mrs Pantazakos said her father takes great pride and satisfaction in his business. But after so many years of needle and thread, Mr Apidopoulos is looking forward to travelling and spending more time with his family.

''I spent my whole life here, walking up and down,'' he said, looking around without a hint of regret.

[​IMG]

From The AGE\
    http://www.theage.com.au/small-busi...thread-of-tony-the-tailor-20110822-1j6p7.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

13. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

Hi guys, anyone in Melbourne know where I can try Loakes? or how the sizing compares to Batsanis shoes? Thanks!

14. Teggeh

Teggeh Active Member

Do you guys think it's a bit of a faux pas to get a tailor to measure you up so you can buy online (from say, moderntailor) instead of from them?

15. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they gave you the measurements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.