• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score

For me. HK has always meant shirts, always lots of shirts. So hard to find thin cut shirts in Sydney. Pretty easy in HK (never been tailor made before, just off the rack)

I think he means he's coming to Syd from HK...

There are some brilliant shirt tailors in Sydney, like Charles Nakhale.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Herringbone store in Collins Place has now re-opened. Nice ramge of C&Js in store and they can order in anything not in stock. Handgrads were about $690 IIRC.

They are doing MTO suits with Scabal fabrics for around 1200-1500. These are made in Germany, as opposed to their RTW line made in Vietnam. Seemed like a reasonable deal but it's a bit early for me to be looking at MTO right now.

I chatted with Christian for a while. He is planning a store event soon which sounded well worth going to. Presumably details will go out to the mailing list when ready.

Not that it necessarily makes a great difference, but I think that Herringbone's current suits are made in China.
Their shirts are made in Vietnam, as that is where Van Laack (which owns Herringbone) makes its shirts.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been thinking about a Filson 256 in brown, do you think that would go well with various suits or is it just too casual. I like the otter green but i think it might clash more than the brown - and well, the tan has just too much contrast for my liking.

Actually, the contrast between the tan of the cloth and the brown of the handles is what makes the Filson attractive to me. The brown looks a bit too flat or lifeless for my taste - but then, taste is a very subjective thing!

I do think that it's generally a bit too casual for a suit, but I suppose that it also depends on the outfit in question.
Navy suit, white shirt, black shoes and "conservative" tie would be too dressy for a Filson, but a flannel suit, perhaps with patch pockets, brown shoes, and a wool, knit or bow tie would be perfect paired with a Filson.

Filson also do a leather bag in a classic style, but it's about twice as expensive as their fabric bags.

I currently use a black Brioni I scored for about $500. My next bag/case will be a Berluti.

Deux Jours?

I've got a pair of Berluti shoes, and they are beautiful, but I prefer a more conservative style of bag, personally speaking.
The eye-watering cost - well north of $2000 for the Berluti bags that I saw in Tokyo - is another disincentive!

mdudders

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. (I have been reading for a couple of days and cannot get off!)
Anyhow, I was just having a look on Herring Shoes and spotted a pair of Barker's I liked. Is this a decent brand (it is within my price range as I am still at school)?

Last edited:

jobro

Reaction score

Deux Jours?

I've got a pair of Berluti shoes, and they are beautiful, but I prefer a more conservative style of bag, personally speaking.
The eye-watering cost - well north of $2000 for the Berluti bags that I saw in Tokyo - is another disincentive!

Though the Deux Jours is a very nice bag, I will probably get one of the more formal briefcases.

LoveSuits

Reaction score
I am moving to Sydney for my studies at the University of Sydney and I was wondering what I should buy in Hong Kong before going for studies. Things that are not easy to find/get in Sydney but are easy and cheap in HK.

Of course I will eat as much Dim Sum as possible whilst in HK =)

jobro

Reaction score

I am moving to Sydney for my studies at the University of Sydney and I was wondering what I should buy in Hong Kong before going for studies. Things that are not easy to find/get in Sydney but are easy and cheap in HK.

Everything except Vegemite, UGG boots and RM Williams.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Herringbone store in Collins Place has now re-opened. Nice ramge of C&Js in store and they can order in anything not in stock. Handgrads were about $690 IIRC.

They are doing MTO suits with Scabal fabrics for around 1200-1500. These are made in Germany, as opposed to their RTW line made in Vietnam. Seemed like a reasonable deal but it's a bit early for me to be looking at MTO right now.

I chatted with Christian for a while. He is planning a store event soon which sounded well worth going to. Presumably details will go out to the mailing list when ready.

Price point sounds good... The issue for me is the suit block.

Specifically:

1) Will these MTO suits be patterned on the Osaka Model?

2) If they're MTO as opposed to MTM, does that mean that the only changes you can request are cosmetic (i.e. fabric, buttons etc but not measurements)?

Might have to check with Christian and Massimo as I was under the impression (from Ethan and Massimo) that not only will Scabal fabrics be used, but also, the suit block is a Scabal Model, and not the Osaka.

Important issues to consider before taking the plunge.

Personally, I'd only consider going with an HBone MTO if:

1) The block was based on the soft-shouldered Osaka;

2) Measurements could be adjusted vis a vis standard MTM operations (P Johnson, Zegna MTM); and

3) Massimo himself, a trained tailor, did the fitting.

I'm pretty sure Point-3 is in the affirmative, but to me, the absence of Points-1 and 2 would be a deal breaker.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Actually, we have pretty decent dim sum here - not the variety you get in HK, but the quality is good.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he means he's coming to Syd from HK...

There are some brilliant shirt tailors in Sydney, like Charles Nakhale.

Nahkle is one of the most talented of them all. And provided he's not swamped with work and the fabric is on hand, his turnaround times can be measured in days, as both his assistant and he perform the work in the space behind his shopfront.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

What do you guys carry (bag-wise).
Your thoughts on briefcases would be appreciated - I need to carry a bit of lunch and various documents, but nothing too thick - maybe 4-5" thickness.

I'm currently carrying a shoulder/messenger back (Oroton...which is quite nice) - but it has no "hand grab" and i'm concerned i'll ruin my suits.

I've been thinking about a Filson 256 in brown, do you think that would go well with various suits or is it just too casual. I like the otter green but i think it might clash more than the brown - and well, the tan has just too much contrast for my liking.

I use Hunt leather's home brand satchel style brief case, thus...

http://www.huntleather.com.au/hunt-two-compartment-brief.html

What I like about it is it's not too big and has a shoulder strap, so I can use it like a casual bag (esp if I am travelling), but it has a top grab and zip expandable concertina folds - so it is quite fine as a business briefcase. It has lots of little compartments - including two zip external ones (ie you dont need to open the flap if you just want to shove in a newspaper.

Also, it was not too expensive, given it has nice supple leather. Comes in tan, chocolate and black. The tan is the nicest, but I thought the brown was more suited to work-plus-casual use.

I really like their Il Bisonte bags, but I was choosing a birthday present from my family and I thought that would be a bit self-indulgent to choose Il Bisonte :embar:. If you can afford it though, they are really nice. They start out natural and then darken and burnish over time.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
PSA:

I found a pair of John Lobb tan loafers in an op shop in Melbourne - size BIG - 12 I think - TLC required. If interested let me know and I will shoot you the details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads