1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallo

dallo Member

Brokers Gin - reasonably priced and is well up there with Tanq10, if not better.

Get ur misses onto Hendricks with Watermelon, she'll love you even more!

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

So I don't have toe protection on any of my shoes, none of them are that old at this stage, but is this something that I'm going to regret?

3. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I think it depends on your gait. I've got a pretty agressive toe flick it seems (perhaps caused by the speed I walk at) so after a few wears I was almost at the welt at the tip.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much did they set you back?

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I have the same problem. Some form of protection is essential.

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

+1. Look very good.

7. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

Cost me $220 for the shoes + a pair of trees shipped.

Quality wise i think the goodyear welted english variants are superior but i really like the burnishing on these.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

I tracked down Hendricks at Dan Murphy's = $59

I am here to tell you it works well with Vermouth as a martini, very dry with a slice of baby cucumber.

It works as a G&T with a slice of cucumber or lemon

It works neat with an ice block and slice of cucumber.

Looks like a large old fashioned medicine bottle.

Tastes wonderful.

My doctor wrote me a prescription
    For milk, cream and alcohol
    My nerve was so bad
    I couldn’t rest
    I couldn’t sleep all at the night

I don't need no doctor - send my favourite nurse - I need milk, cream and alcohol

9. Gerry Nelson

I have had a wonderful Friday so far:

1) Christian from Herringbone called me to let me know my C&J Sydney's had arrived for me to try. When I got there, he did a fantastic job of polishing the toe caps of my Guildfords and said he's willing to give me a lesson in how to get a mirror shine - my attempts at this so far have resulted in slightly shiner shoes rather than a mirror. While I was there, I got to meet Tarang (known as TheBrownMan over here) and it was a real pleasure speaking to them both - they clearly love what they do and it really shows in their dealings.

2) After that, it was off to Rekaris to get my newly stretched Mortimers - I can finally wear them and enjoy the experience. I don't have to sell them!

All in all, a great start to my weekend on this beautiful sunny Melbourne day!

[​IMG]

10. Gerry Nelson

I know I already posted but I have to say it again - they are just beautiful. You did well!

11. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

If you can handle the orgy of consumerism that is the Wish magazine (the coulour supplement to The Australian) , there is quite an interesting feature on Michael Bastian.

They are also running a promo with Mr Porter offering free shipping to Australia for the next two weeks - which is good becuase their normal shipping rates are CRAZY PRICES! Use MRPORTERWISH.

For something completely different... can I mention my latest adventure in ultra-cheap shopping. The Oxford Shop at DFO (Homebush) had suede desert boots for $37.50 last weekend. Super high quality they are not BUT, for the price of gourmet pizza, you get a very plain, nicely shaped boot made in China. Light contrast stiching around the sole. Smooth suede in chocolate, cigar or sand. Lined with pig skin. Crepe soles (not very thick). Thus...

[​IMG]

What do ya reckon? Should I go back and get another colour?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sounds like the start to a great weekend Gerry Nelson. I would love to know how you find the fit of the Sydneys (and how much they cost?). I am keen to get a pair of loafers when Christmas, New Year and all those expensive times are out the way and the C&J Sydneys are top of the list. I keep getting mixed messages about the fit though...knowledge of your experience would be great.

Enjoy the shoes.

13. truevision

truevision Senior member

I've got the same boots but in the sand colour, would've preferred the chocolate ones but they didn't have any. They are quite good for the price

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Seeings its Friday and been too long an effing week I'll raise the ante " barman por favor "

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

If you want flush metal toe taps, you can send them to B Nelson Shoe Repair in the United States. They'll be able to do it for you. Alternatively, if you opt for the front sole half topy using Topy Elysee (1.8mm) which, to my knowledge, is the thinnest on the Australian market, and have the cobbler bevel the edges of the soles, it's quite undetectable and has no profound impact on shoe balance. There are arguments for and against topy-ed soles retaining more moisture, but they're not really worth getting into..

Plastic taps suck.

16. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

There is never any substitute for trying on yourself. Pop in store and see what you think. I'm here till 7 tonight, or over the weekend. Do you know what size you would approximately take in the C&J 341 last? FWIW, I wear a 9E in the 348, but would opt for an 8.5F in the 341 last (Sydney loafer), not enough width in the 8.5E and the 9E is too long. As with any non-cordovan loafer, a moderately snug fit is ideal because there will be stretching and moulding as you wear them in.

17. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I put plastic taps on my Weymouths at Rekaris.

18. slider17

slider17 Active Member

hey

first time poster. what do u guys use to ship goods from online stores that don't ship to freight forwarding companies.
    im looking at purchasing goods from levis and other US based sites, but they don't ship to most of the common FF companies.

any recommendations?? u can pm me if u don't want to list company names here.

thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  19. jobro

jobro Senior member

Try Shipito's assisted purchase service.

20. slider17

slider17 Active Member

I am aware of Shipito's Assisted Purchase Service but what i am after is one where u don't pay extra fees. Click and Buy. No middle man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.