• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Very new here and wanted to see what other Aussies thought about the "no socks" look I see in a lot of photos, often for business and business casual dress.

I'm a white collar professional in Canberra and I've never seen anyone, ever wearing "loafers" or whatever they're called without socks.

Is this just a Canberra thing?

Just wondering what other blokes thought. Sorry if this is the wrong bit to post...
Jim

Outside of sexually charged encounters the least attractive bits of male anatomy are, in no particular order, are the ********, neck and ankle.

To then display these in public is to mark oneself as a certain kind of person, of which there are many in Australia. Merchant Bankers.

There should be public health laws to protect people from the smell of stinky sock less feet. I assume shoemakers are happy to see sweat eating into leather and ruining shoes as it makes for more sales. Tinea remedies will be useful.

There will be those on this forum who will disagree, you are welcome to take their advice and also to wear a hoodie, business suit without a tie, a shiney pale green tie with huge Windsor knot, off white pointy toed shoes to the Melbourne Cup, cuff links with open necked shirt, underpants showing above trousers, black shirts with white ties and rolex watches.

Last edited:

Tano

Reaction score

is there somewhere to get ralph lauren polos cheaper than $120 a pop at DJ's?

Shameless plug ;
I have 2 x NWT large Ralph Lauren purple label polos. The first one is oatmeal colour and the other is lavender striped. I will be listing on b&s soon or I will sell each at $110 AUD firm + actual shipping. Cheers

PM for pics

hammer07

Reaction score

is there somewhere to get ralph lauren polos cheaper than $120 a pop at DJ's?

I saw them at Costco the one time I was there, though only in white IIRC. Can't remember the exact pricing but probably in $60-$80 range.

jobro

Reaction score

Outside of sexually charged encounters the least attractive bits of male anatomy are, in no particular order, are the ********, neck and ankle.

To then display these in public is to mark oneself as a certain kind of person, of which there are many in Australia. Merchant Bankers.

There should be public health laws to protect people from the smell of stinky sock less feet. I assume shoemakers are happy to see sweat eating into leather and ruining shoes as it makes for more sales. Tinea remedies will be useful.

There will be those on this forum who will disagree, you are welcome to take their advice and also to wear a hoodie, business suit without a tie, a shiney pale green tie with huge Windsor knot, off white pointy toed shoes to the Melbourne Cup, cuff links with open necked shirt, underpants showing above trousers, black shirts with white ties and rolex watches.

I don't know whose (disfigured?) ankles and necks you've been looking at but I don't think having them 'on display' labels anyone as anything. As long as you're not some guy with a giraffes neck or swollen ankles, open neck shirts and shorts can be pulled off without much skill. You have a rather narrow and sad way of thinking if you're disgusted by the sight of a normal/regular neck or ankle.

There is a certain time and place that shoes without socks can be pulled off by some people, whether that be with trousers or shorts. Same goes for hoodies, pale green ties, black shirts (without white ties) and Rolex watches.

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Not just a Canberra thing. Nice shoes, nice suit and no socks (as per all those Pitti photos etc) I have seen only once in real life - last year in Sydney, in the foyer of my office. This guy was kind of tanned and healthy looking and well groomed. He was wearing a tan suit.

I think he could just get away with it.

I am not that guy and I know that I couldn't. Firstly, I am too much of a square. Secondly, no one wants to see my blotchy, pale, hairy ankles poking out from suit trousers. So I would not say this is wrong, but you've got to pretty confident to get away with it.

Though, I do not wear socks with boat shoes or casual loafers in summer with cotton trousers - but I think I am in the majority there.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Very new here and wanted to see what other Aussies thought about the "no socks" look I see in a lot of photos, often for business and business casual dress.

I'm a white collar professional in Canberra and I've never seen anyone, ever wearing "loafers" or whatever they're called without socks.

Just wondering what other blokes thought. Sorry if this is the wrong bit to post...
Jim

It's not a Canberra thing, I do it very very occassionally when the mercury creeps over 33 degrees in Summer, but I tend not to go completely sockless but wear those hidden little socks that just make me look sockless and get a bit of breeze on the ankles, but don't actually ruin my shoes.

I wear my tods drivers all the time without socks on the weekend though, with chino's, jeans and (gasp) shorts.

tomee

Reaction score

thanks. i'm guessing these kinda things are fake - where can you get them online that are cheaper/legit (no outlets in adelaide)?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Mens-R...3770278?pt=Men_s_Clothing&hash=item336ab7eb26

ralphlauren.com or rugby.com and get them shipped to a forwarding agent. you wil usually get codes that offer free shipping or 10% off. then all you have to do is pay for the shipping to Aus from the forwarding agent.

I second pediwear. I bought a pair of grenson shoes from them 2 weeks ago, they cost me AUD 220, including free grenson shoe polish, shoe horn, silk tie (ok a bit crappy but free) and shipping. The cost was actually cheaper than buying the shoes in the UK because I didn't have to pay UK VAT!

I own a few pairs of grenson shoes, just love them. They last really well and are so comfortable. Such better quality than anything comparable in Australia.

free shipping! nice! i want to purchase some shoes from them but i hate their site as its soo ugly to look at compared to Herring.
they dont seem to have many wider sizes compared to the latter

Great pickup, how much was duties?

i assume you are talking about tax duties? didnt pay anything as it was under $1k AUS :D

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Jim

The term "sockless dandy" is not one which you want applied to yourself.

On a slightly related note, what are thoughts on the Herringbone S/S range this year? Personally, I was a bit meh. Seems like every shot has the Harbour as a backdrop. Does nothing for Sydney's reputation as a one trick pony.

http://www.herringbone.com/Herringbone_campaign

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents, just a quick one. RM williams are having Fathers Day promo.Details-
Father's Day Offer

Spoil Dad this Father's Day and purchase a selected pair of R.M.Williams boots and receive and R.M.Williams Dryskin Jacket Free*

*Offer applies to R.M.Williams yearling leather Boots including and limited to Craftsman, Comfort Craftsman, Blaxland, Turnout, Comfort Turnout, Wentworth, Henley, Comfort Henley, Tambo, Comfort Tambo, Kimberley, Durack, Wimmera and Yearling and Jacket code JA509. Offer not available on Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman Boots. Offer valid only while stocks last. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer. Offer based on the recommended retail price of the boots.

link -
http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.asp?pageid=7F1DD13C39716175

**** I am no way affiliated with RM williams ****

bhall41

Reaction score
Fxh, I think your distaste of "********, neck and ankle" says more about you than the rest of us :)

IMO going sockless is fine for a casual look, worn with chinos, but definately not for business. Invisible type socks can be worn for comfort, and to keep the stench at bay!

Don't agree with you re Rolex - vintage models, in particular, look fantastic and have a great heritage.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fxh, I think your distaste of "********, neck and ankle" says more about you than the rest of us :)

IMO the sockless look is fine for a casual look, worn with chinos, but definately not for business. Invisible type socks can be worn for comfort, and to keep the stench at bay!

Don't agree with you re Rolex - vintage models, in particular, look fantastic and have a great heritage.

Going sockless is ok if you are an Italian playboy - or can pass for one. But then only casually, as you say.

Also - I agree with you re Rolex. I used to be a total h8er but have come around to the understanding that some models are classics, and if you can steer clear of anything with diamonds, black gold or the word "Rolex" repeated ad nauseum on the dial, then they are acceptable.

tomee

Reaction score

+1 :D

just made a purchase of Barker Epping's from Pediwear. sneaky how they charge you shipping for the free shoe tree :D

Last edited:

bhall41

Reaction score

Also - I agree with you re Rolex. I used to be a total h8er but have come around to the understanding that some models are classics, and if you can steer clear of anything with diamonds, black gold or the word "Rolex" repeated ad nauseum on the dial, then they are acceptable.

I used to be a bit of a Rolex hater too. I like very few of their current models and share your dislike of models which are ostentatious. I recently picked up a non COSC Sub 14060M which I am liking very much. It looks quite understated - for a Sub - due to the absence of a date and the corresponding cyclops. I am really enjoying wearing it with a variety of Nato straps.

Love the olders subs (esp 5513 and 5512), Deepseas (NOT the Deepsea Dweller), Datejusts, Explorer 1s and Explorer 2s.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

California Dreamer pointed out to me that the website:: A Fine Pair of Shoes, has the sole measurements of different shoes. Not a complete answer but useful . Would be handy If some young screen jockey with nothing to do at work, like say blahman, could collect them all into a spreadsheet with lasts shoe model brand etc.

Why not just ask Julian on the AFPOS thread if he's willing to do that and publish on SF? Chances are he already has the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads