1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

so that makes them UK8.5 if I'm not mistaken?

post some pics.....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. trentington

trentington Member

never heard of sportscraft before, but im now going there. are they good or bad at anything in particular?

3. trentington

trentington Member

im especially interested as im now thinking that i dont need a suit and id probably be better off buying a summer blazer (or two or three at that price) and some odd pants,

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Sportscraft is an old Australian clothing brand that has been around for decades, at least since the 1940s. It used to make good, high quality stuff but just like Country Road it now makes pretty much everything offshore and quality has dropped.

However, whilst I wouldn't bother buying business shirts from there, I have heard that Sportscraft's cotton chino pants are quite well-made and well-cut and that they aren't bad value. It's quite possible that their casual cotton jackets are alright, too.

5. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I certainly wouldn't have paid full price for the jacket (~$400 if I'm not mistaken), but at $39 it definately gets the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval

[​IMG]

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

8.5UK or possibly 9UK. In any case, these are some shots of the shoes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Er... so I may have lost my brand new Wayfarer's on Friday night after one too many drinks.... any tips on an affordable replacement source?

8. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

http://www.otticanet.it/

Bad luck mate...

Lot's of decent feedback about this site around. Seem quite reasonably priced to me.

9. rhubarb jam

rhubarb jam Active Member

10. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

Used them recently. A few days after the order they said they'd ship in a week. Interestingly, a few days later they turned up. Not massively cheaper than buying here though, after accounting for shipping, potential complications, warranty, trying on etc.

11. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Australia should really be carrying The Rake magazine. I wonder why no distributors pick this one up. I keep finding myself having a hard time picking up decent magazines. It shouldn't be this difficult. Just ranting.

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Was in Sydney on the weekend and after wearing Chinos, you forget what the humidity is like, I have one question where can I buy affordable, quality linen trousers prefer pleated front in Oz?

Suggestions appreciated

And at the Mahler at the SOH say a couple of gentlemen with pocket squares and maybe one gentleman wearing a PJ cotton suit?

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I searched long and wide for linen trousers last summer. All I found were Polo Ralph Lauren, although these are flat front.

Having said that, these were Bradford suit separates, and this summer I haven't seen it in stock. They are stocking are khaki cotton suit as their summer suit by the looks of things.

14. meister

meister Senior member

I don't know other than maybe Stewarts or Henry Bucks. I just scored a pair off eBay in Irish Linen ex RLP (in my exact size) for USD60 make best offer.

I would just got to eBay and put in line pants as a link.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Otticanet is very good for anything Italian made (e.g. Lux stuff), always terrific experiences with them with both sales and returns. Personally they have always been significantly cheaper for me for things like Persols. They also have a much greater range of sizes and styles than anywhere in Aus.

I can actually sometimes get frames cheaper at DJs here though when they have their 30% off VIP night + my friend's 20% DJs discount. Generally otticanet is cheaper though. Persols can also be had from reputable sellers on eBay even cheaper than Otticanet. Buying raybans on there might be a bit more of a lottery though.

*edit*

Otticanet will also email you a 10% off code if you like their FB page.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  16. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I agree - but it's not prohibitively expensive to get a subscription and have it delivered. It's what I'm going to ask for for Christmas.

What I really want though are some Color 8 Alden tassel loafers. Won't. Happen.

17. apple3210

apple3210 Well-Known Member

hey.

any of you guys had any experience with loake 1880 shoe sizing? i'm a 10.5 in nike.... need a comparison benchmark i guess.

18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think I can help you there. I have a pair of Nike free (awful running shoes) which are a 9.5uk. I have 2 pair of 1880 on the capital last and they are both 8.5uk. They run on the wide side also. I also have a pair of loake on the 3625 last and that runs smaller, I take a 9 uk for that. Still runs on the wide side. Hope that helps.

19. rhubarb jam

rhubarb jam Active Member

Gents, for those of us who indulge in Online Shopping (most of us I believe), I've been informed of a website called nuji.com
    It basically allows for you to bookmark any item on any shopping website, and presents them all with hot links, in a minimal way.
    I thought that it may be of assistance for us to compare buys/wanted items

20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Sounds like SVPPLY - this thing my girlfriend uses. A wish list of sorts..

Would be keen to know the difference between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.