Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Bankers stopped wearing ties years ago (especially Merchant Bankers/Hedge fund people etc.). Lawyers are one of the few remaining corporate professions where ties are still mandatory.

2. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

One and the same

3. Sator

Sator Senior member

I'm all for experimentation with interesting cuts and fashions. However, the problem is that the collared business shirt as it is cut today looks messy without a tie. It just leaves a neck zone that looks like a dog breakfast, after the abrupt amputation of the tie.

I would much prefer to see a Nehru shirt and jacket worn than a standard collared shirt worn open with a suit.

4. jobro

jobro Senior member

If you cannot face up to wearing a tie with a suit, you may need to reconsider having an account on this forum.

5. Sator

Sator Senior member

BTW part of the problem is that 1990s ties were wide.

Skinny ties are "in" at the moment. If you wear a well made tie of top notch silk (preferably bespoke) in a fashionably slender cut, you can look perfectly up-to-date.

I was wearing just such as knitted tie the other day and a guy in this early twenties commented favourably with something like "oh cool - skinny ties".

6. jobro

jobro Senior member

I've got ties from the 40's, 70's, 80's, 90's and present day and they are all equally timeless. Buy classic & quality pieces rather than fashionable or on sale items and your wardrobe will become less dependent on the current decade.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Would you say it was in the top 5 or closer to the bottom 5?

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

In the top 5, closer to the bottom 5.

9. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

this.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

We aren't talking about more casual suits, like a linen suit or a country tweed suit, but business suits.

Business suits with a business shirt worn opened necked is in the same category as baby fist Windsor knots on pale shiney ties not done uptight, indeterminate yellow / light brown chalk striped suits at the Melbourne Cup worn with piled up trousers on yellow / white moc croc shoes with jester toes.

The footballer look.

There lots of options for smart opened necked shirt look but a two button business suit isn't one of them. As sat or has pointed out the neck is an important point of focus in a suit.

In broad terms a tie indicates a degree of formality, respect and seriousness an open necked shirt indicates casualness, carefree etc. Naturally these are just the static signals if you like, devoid of context, interaction and knowledge of the individual and situation content.

It's perfectly possible to be respectful and serious in an open necked shirt or even pajamas, just as it's possible to be a casual dick in a suit and tie. But we are talking about simple outward signals here.

The open necked shirt with business suit sends out confused signals, and not in a " subvert the dominant paradigm" way.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

11. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

I personally like my sportcoats with shirt without a tie... I think you just need a sufficiently stiff collar on the shirt to let it keep its shape. Not sure if Nehru shirt would work on my long neck... might have to give it a try... good luck finding shirts like that though.

12. eightace

eightace Senior member

Slight change of topic, although IMHO a suit without a tie looks like you haven't finished getting dressed, this is my last attempt to offload these, which are going for a song, and that song is this.

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Eightace

13. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong - I think a nice tie with a good suit (and very importantly. classy shoes) looks great. But it looks overderessed to me in the Melbourne business community. A bit like wearing a Tux to Macca's for lunch !

I went to a bank function last week at the RACV Club and 95% were wearing ties. I didn't and was proud of it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Remember we are discussing open necked shirt with business suit, not wearing ties in general.

Just on that point above Doug, how would you feel turning up to that same lunch in lounge/business suit with or without tie but with sneakers?

Are sneakers classy shoes? If not why not?

Why not business suits with sneakers, after all the fashion pages would suggest it's "edgy"

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Suit without a tie now days for me is reserved exclusively for casual laid back looks and not the office or industry functions, but this was not always the case. When I first started out in banking 8 years ago, I would mostly wear open neck - as did most people who worked in the area (mostly made up of junior guys). Now days, I rarely ever go open neck; other then on casual Friday's or if I go to the gym late in the afternoon only to go back to the office for an hour or so. Joining SF probably has probably rightfully or wrongfully reenforced this idea in my head.

In banking, I find that the area in with you work will set the tone for how you dress. I see it often where you can get off on one floor and not see a single tie, while other floors you would be hard pressed trying to find somebody who would dare go open neck. The department where I now work, I would say its 50/50; but the specific team I am in, its 100 percent - in fact we like to think that we set the bar high. The other day a colleague drove into work only to realise in the lift that he had his shirt buttoned way up, but completely forgot to put on a tie! Instead of going open neck for the day, he dug up an emergency tie he keeps in his draw.

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.