Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philipyoung

philipyoung Member

Got a pair of Loake 747 Black Oxfords sized at UK 8.5 to offload.

Bought this pair from RobinsonShoes last year for $225 delivered.

Tried on once, but was too big for me (I'm a US 8.5 / UK 7.5). Shoes are in pristine condition.

Shoes retail for around $350 - $400 at DJs or Joseph shoes.

PM me if any of you are interested - located in Sydney

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Where hav you been hiding the past two days the ABC clock and temp gauge had it at 20c yesterday and 21 today. Mind you I do envy Sydney people there winter gas bills. :eek:

3. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

The previous ownder, Kim, still works there but only part time a couple of days per week. I have had a few items altered since the 'new' owner took over, and it seems to be business as usual, pretty much.

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

- it's not as easy as ABC hence the removed the price list. There are many factors to consider, from cloth choice to details.
    - IMO you can't get better value than P Johnson in Australia & in most parts of the world

5. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

Dunno if she's still working there anymore?
    When i was there nearly a year ago she was still part time, but today there was a kid (looked just out of high school at most) and he said she didn't work there anymore.
    Anyway, i'll see how it turns out next week. They're mostly basic alterations anyway :)

6. Lowly Public Servant

Lowly Public Servant Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that, today was a glorious day but the forecast has us heading back to brass monkey weather early next week.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The Brass Monkeys are arriving with the Polar Bears on the Weekend.:foo:

8. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

Yeah, heard from the fiancée that you had a bit of actual glove weather during the night in Canberra. Very nice, bit of proper winter never hurts.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

25 and sunny today. Day off so might hit a beach.

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Be aware however: the HB MTO block/ pattern is not the much-loved South Italy-inspired Osaka cut, but one based on the Scabal block. :fu: That sends alarm bells ringing through my head!

If you get it FoC though... well... why not?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. "6"

"6" Senior member

Email them with an inquiry. They were very forth coming with me regarding their starting price points. I booked in a time just to have a chat with their man Tom in Melbourne, look at some fabrics, etc. Nicest fellow. I didn't commission my piece till 2 weeks later.

Keep in mind that starting prices are just that. Starting. Beware of awesome fabric catching your eye :) Oh and the allure of the fully handmade garment as well.

12. quar

quar Senior member

I think the term "hand-finished" is more appropriate than "fully hand-made". There is certainly plenty of machine stitching in my P Johnson dinner jacket (of the "handmade" variety). Not that there is anything wrong with machine stitching.

13. Texmo

Texmo Active Member

Need help please. I moved to Melbourne from NZ and need a good cobbler, tailor and alter. Any one know of any please?

MELBOURNE TAILOR COBBLER NEEDED PLEASE :D

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

http://catalogues.davidjones.com.au/portal/dynamiccatalogue?CatalogueID=13107066350134&pageview=two

Page 66 to 79 of the latest DJ catalog gives me hope for a swing to smarter dressing as a reaction against the last 30 years of men dressing like little scruffy boys on a farm holiday.

We have had so long of "comfortable" post hippy dressing so that now dressing smartly can luckily be a rebellion against not only fathers but sadly also slobby old grandads in white sneakers, jeans - either too tight or too loose, and T shirts and shirts outside pants.

Not that I'd wear most of the DJs catalog and not that its even all done right - but the message is clear, smart, clean with a hint of the Ivy and a nod to the classics of the past.

Lets not talk about pricing.

The classic outfit ( doesn't look all l that bad) on the guy on page 70 adds up to around $1,800 in GANT at DJs - the shoes alone - a bad interpretation of Sperry Topsiders are $450

I reckon I could put the clothes/ look together from online sources, not using GANT , for around $200 - $300 and shoes for $200 - hell you can buy Sperrys here for around $200.

From what little I can see the DJs prices for GANT may not be that out of line with USA prices for GANT - anyone have a good idea of USA prices? - but the range of GANT here seems much much more restricted in range than the US range.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depends where you live and work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.