1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Not necessarily, Jimbo.

And I'm speaking as an Asian.

I had a discussion / argument with a friend (also Asian) about our differing dress philosophies: He believed that I had to be uncomfortable wearing a suit to a Church service (tie, PS and all) and I thought he was insane to hurriedly discard his open-necked dress shirt and pants - no tie - for a t-shirt and shorts while we were STILL dining at a cafe.

I kid you not. He was out of the place like a jackrabbit with a hunter in pursuit upon arrival, and only when he was back in his t-shirt and shorts was he finally happy and relaxed-looking. He's in his thirties; married with two kids. :embar:

What I can say is that in general, 'appearance', as in 'what you project to others', is very important to many Asians, especially those who either reside in or maintain close links to Asia.

Wearing a good suit and shirt, a nice tie and high-quality shoes doesn't tend to get you ridiculed in countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. Quite the opposite in fact: it seems to elicit respect and deferrence across the spectrum of societal groups.

Again, these are just generalisations based on my personal experience. :)

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Ever since that photo of Rudd wearing RM's with Obama came out every APS 6 and above wears them with a suit or BA here in Canberra

3. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260872538388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 ending up being $11.40 actually. still under what I've seen around.
    Yeah, to be fair only two of the people wearing were students, and they are both "mature age" (in early 30's).

Thanks for the feedback!

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

They certainly try harder.

5. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Yes. It's opposite the Preston Bunnings and adjacent to the AutoBarn.

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Kevin 07: Style Icon.

7. maximusclunge

maximusclunge New Member

Question:

Heading to the races on Saturday. I have this Richard James tie:

[​IMG]

I'm unsure as to what tie knot I should use. I believe the half-windsor and I have a Herringbone shirt that is almost identical to the one in the picture.

Thanking you in advance.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Speaking under conditions of strict anonymity, it depends how you define Asian. By and large, Indian men dress execrably, even worse than your typical Aussie. I have seen Indians wear thongs to work at a corporate client's premises.

9. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Member

http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Gold-Standard-Navy-Belted-Peacoat

Could I please get some opinions on this peacoat?

I like the cut of the coat but I'm not fond of the belt or the straps on the sleeves. Any idea how easily they could be removed by a tailor?

I need a navy peacoat for winter but it's ludicrously hard to find something in my size (I've got 15" shoulders) so I have to go the MTM route.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

JB,

It's all subjective, of course, but I don't mind the straps with button fastenings on the sleeves, as that is a pretty traditional touch for a naval-style peacoat.

However, adding a waist belt is a bit unusual, as is the idea of a zip fastening.

Given that the fabric is thick, soft and dark, I think that it should be possible to have a tailor remove the stitching without leaving a mark (or only a very faint one). After all, most alterations to woollen suits (such as letting out the trousers) involve unstitching seams and yet the original seams typically don't show up on the fabric once the stitching has been removed and the fabric has been ironed. However, please bear in mind that I could be wrong!

Otherwise, if you happen to know of a UK proxy shipping service or know of someone who could ship something from the UK to Australia for you, you could try a Uniqlo peacoat.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

Off to Tokyo in a month, where to kop awesome stuff?

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

J Crew Bayswater Peacoat.

13. meister

meister Senior member

Definitely into Isetan for a look at the mens shoes...FWIW apparently huge selection including some awesome stuff.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm off to Kaohsiung Taiwan in a few weeks. Nothing there fits me ever.

Lots of young guys there wear their suits with the labels still on the sleeve. The better dressed youths in street wear , not everyone is hip, wear stuff influenced by Japan and Korea and local. So can look pretty good. Unfortunately most young women still dress like a Hello Kitty.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Those women are so my type. :laugh:

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Socklessness on the 96 tram this AM.

Brown toe cap brogues, slim grey pants (mercifully not rolled above the ankle), blue cotton blazer, rakishly arranged grey scarf.

I fear more is to come this summer.

17. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

You should check out United Arrows - very nice stuff. It's a chain so you may need to look up one near where you will be. Sometimes they are split into men's and women's stores, so just make sure you have the right one identified.

The Evisu denim shops are pretty cool.

Uniqlo and Muji (the big one in the northern part of Ginza is good).

Also, if you don't mind an early start, the Tokyo fish markets are really worth a look - just make sure they are open that day).

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. fxh

fxh Senior member

oh dear.

I think with that tram it is _PG_ - he must have left his fixie at the Human Powered bike repair shop

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

The coat looks a bit busy for a Pea Coat, but I doubt most people would notice. I don't get the zip addition, maybe its a "fashion statement" - unless its prominent and visible it wont matter. The straps might not be sewn in much if at all. Given as JM says above its dark you may well be able to take the straps off or unpick them carefully yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.