• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpallaCamicia

Reaction score

Do you ride a motorbike? Preferably an off-road bike? If not, then the answer should be clear. Unless, of course, you're going to wear it with brightly-coloured trousers, plenty of beaded bracelets on both wrists, an AP Royal Oak or Panerai watch in amongst the bracelets, and unbuckled double monks. If so, you should go for it.

Damnit! Why didn't I think of this in previous years? I use a bag/briefcase/Filson 256 every damned weekday and yet I absolutely didn't think at all about claiming those things in my tax. Silly, silly, silly me.

Haha yes it's worth keeping an eye on. The ultimate is when you use the hand carry luggage when your going overseas and claim the GST back as well! Just time your purchase within 60 days of going overseas. Ok enough said don't want a tap on the shoulder from Mr ATO.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
+1 for Rimowa. Have a look at Tumi, too. Hell, even Muji.

You want reliable and light. Filsons are really sturdy but heavy and take up a chunk of your carry-on weight allowance. You also want something with a harder shell so that stuff inside doesn't get scrunched up when in transit with you.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was devastated not to get a hand written note with my last purchase.

With the black Friday sale, the prospect of me writing 51 different notes was rather terrifying for someone with my handwriting. We at the Henry Carter family still love all of our clients just as much, I just don't love RSI so much.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score

With the black Friday sale, the prospect of me writing 51 different notes was rather terrifying for someone with my handwriting. We at the Henry Carter family still love all of our clients just as much, I just don't love RSI so much.

FS: Vintage rare hand signed HC note*

*May be a reproduction due to the thirst on my shoulders

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first xmas lunch for 2014. Someone else's city club. 12.00 pm till 4.00 pm. Navy linen suit Borelli, Borelli shirt, BB/Peal Monks

Slightly more disheveled now. {hic}
On to the evening out meal. Same outfit.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Very nice-looking combo, fxh, although you should tighten that tie knot up a little bit.

Also, unless you're using a Hasselblad, I don't think that you need to use both hands to hold the camera up while you're taking a selfie...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first solid suit ever!
(if you except my navy blue 3 piece w. closed pleated single high vent when I was 17)

But not my last - 2 more in the wings*^^.

A nice cotton light brown number next.

edit:: well ones not exactly solid - Birdseye^^

^^note: small word play on in the wings.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry - I wish I could take pics like you - but alas I am not interested enough. The suit /tie/shirt colour is somewhere in between the dark pic and the sunlight pic. I do feel relaxed but dressed in the outfit. I do like slouchy louche linen. Its important to not have linen too fitted/tight.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys what are the limits when shortening the jacket on a suit? I have a 42L than fits great in the shoulders, chest and waist but the hem is too low for me. It sits just about at the tip of my index finger, and I reckon it needs to come up 1-1.5 inches. Is that excessive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads