• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Problem is that it was $80.
ffffuuuu.gif
"Who spends that much money on poor-quality clothes?" ANS: The same people who buy Politix. EDIT: It's just that I get a bit guilty every time I splurge on unplanned purchases of luxury items.

__PG__

Reaction score
Yes. I almost choked on my morning tea the other day when I found out a good mate of mine spent $100 on a Tarocash shirt.

I made him promise to never..ever...do that again without coming shopping with me first.

conqueror

Reaction score
hey guys, could anyone recommend an all-black dress shoe for me, that i could possibly try on (i live in adelaide, so i'm guessing my options are limited)? i really don't know anything about this type of footwear, but i am after something similar to this in appearance: http://www.tresbienshop.net/brand/ap...-black-leather i'm a US 11.5/EU 44 with pretty wide feet. my max budget is $450, but ideally it'd be $400 or less. before you say 'well, just order the APC's' - i would, but i seem to have terrible luck with sizing shoes online (sneakers are an exception) and would ideally like to try them on first. if there is nothing in adelaide, i will be in melbourne around new years. thanks in advance for any advice.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
I know I know I know I know I KNOW that this should be going in one of the 493 sub-section forums of the Buying & Selling Space, but let's face it - it's a bloody jungle in there, we (the occupants of this particular thread) have always prided ourselves as being above the general bullshitness of the rest of this site, and (c) I've run out of excuses... So fcuk it. Cheers.
I was actually going to mention this problem: since we aren't meant to flog stuff in this thread could we possibly make an Australian-items thread in the B&S forum (maybe combined with SW/D stuff too?) to promote stuff we Australian members have for sale? I would certainly check such a thread on a regular basis. I imagine lots of us buy stuff from O/S which doesn't quite fit right in the end, but which isn't economical to return due to high shipping costs, and so may be of particular interest to other Aus members.

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Shoe trees will stop 'massive creases' IMO A few months after I bought some horrible squared-toed tan Windsor Smith shoes (my last shoe purchase pre-SF) I started using shoe-trees on them. They actually look immaculate, compared to equally noxious Aquilas I have which are of a similar vintage but have never had shoe trees used with them.

Both shoes are of the same price point with similar quality leather..but the differences in ageing between the two shoes is chalk and cheese.

My cobbler recommended a bit of rolled up newspper in each shoe - that it was he does, so I tried this and it works great - cost ? $0.

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Let us know how this works out cos I'm in need of some new belts.

Ended up buying some "aimish" black leather belts form flea bay - i'll post what they are like when they arrive.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
Use some deglazer, strip the whole shoe back and work up the colour from scratch. There are some good posts on antiquing here which go thru the steps you should use.
Use should use a fair bit of leather conditioner in between stages to help revive the leather.

Just speaking for myself, I think that's taking it a bit too far - and, in any case, you'd have to strip back and deglaze both shoes, rather than just one.

I think that plenty of shoe cream, polish and elbow grease should help the shoe to recover without the need to strip both shoes back and re-colour them.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Just speaking for myself, I think that's taking it a bit too far - and, in any case, you'd have to strip back and deglaze both shoes, rather than just one.

I think that plenty of shoe cream, polish and elbow grease should help the shoe to recover without the need to strip both shoes back and re-colour them.

Is deglaze available locally?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Is deglaze available locally?

Most reasonable cobblers (ie a dedicated store, not one of those places that cut keys as well) will stock something like Fiebing's deglazer. There's a cobbler down the street from my office that has some of their deglazer and leather dye in his shop.

As I mentioned above, though, I personally think that it's a bit of a drastic step and that it should be a last resort.

However, if you're going to have insurance cover the cost of a new pair of shoes, perhaps you can pick up a fresh pair of undamaged Hallams, and then use your original pair as an experiment - strip them back and then dye and polish them in a different colour, such as navy.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I recall that an Australian member - maybe Elvish, if my memory serves me correctly - was looking for club-collar shirts and collar pins a while back. Whilst browsing English shirting sites, I came across the following: - Bromley's club collar shirts, made for wearing with collar pins; and - Collar pins to wear with the Bromley's club collar shirts. I haven't bought any shirts from Bromley's in years (I bought some H&K shirts from them about five years back), but they were reliable and well-priced back then.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
However, if you're going to have insurance cover the cost of a new pair of shoes, perhaps you can pick up a fresh pair of undamaged Hallams, and then use your original pair as an experiment - strip them back and then dye and polish them in a different colour, such as navy.

Thanks for the tip - I was thinking I could save the current pair and pick up another pair of a different colour, but either way works I suppose! I have some Saphir Renovator and Medaille D'Or Pommadier Cream Polish on its way from A Fine Pair of Shoes - ordered and shipped today.

Originally Posted by blahman
Problem is that it was $80.... It's just that I get a bit guilty every time I splurge on unplanned purchases of luxury items.

I know your pain and used to be like that blah, and have a wardrobe full of crap to prove it. I overcame it by making a list of the 'nice' things that I will buy and prioritised it. If I find something for sale and it is not on the list, then I don't buy it. The other thing I do is put money aside each pay for such purchases and I even go to the extent to classify or allocate what the money will be spent on, eg 1/4 gets put aside for new shoes and 1/2 for new MTM suits, etc. I have found that by putting the money aside has the benefit of focusing your wants and also makes you appreciate the purchase.

It was because of this approach I was able to surgically strike London the other month, and not waste my money on impulse purchases like the others I traveled with.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually sort of do this. I set aside a part of my pay for savings, a part for bills, and anything left goes to my monthly entertainment/shopping. The problem is for what ever reason be it fine dining, new tech or additions to my wardrobe, I always go over and have to pull some of my savings back out to my everyday account.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

elvish

Reaction score
By the way, I recall that an Australian member - maybe Elvish, if my memory serves me correctly - was looking for club-collar shirts and collar pins a while back.
I haven't bought any shirts from Bromley's in years (I bought some H&K shirts from them about five years back), but they were reliable and well-priced back then.

Good memory! Cheers mate, I ended up buying Ralph when they had the private sale and they gave me some collar pins which are identical.

To the chap with EU44 shoes, I would be careful ordering online. I am a 43 and it translates to a 9.5 in formal shoes.

It would be great to see a Aus thread in B&S as I have a few things and I just sold a heap of SWD gear on ebay and have a few left:http://shop.ebay.com.au/aus_baz/m.ht...&_trksid=p3686
I also have a BNWT Large RLX Navy Polo (Ralph Luxe Sport) if anyone is interested.

+1 to those who dress well in the workplace. Plus others definitely notice and mimick if you wear with confidence. I have literally introduced the tie to our office. People will always copy if it appears to bring confidence. As they always say, in life confidence in king, in business cash is king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads