Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thrifty Melbourne iGents: I took a train out to Glen Huntly today to check out the many, many op shops on Glen Huntly Road. Posh Opp Shoppe (right near Glen Huntly station) was closed, as were one or two others, but there are at least six or seven op shops between Glen Huntly and Elsternwick stations, so it was still worthwhile.

Any finds? Just a Marks & Spencer tweed blazer in my size (36R) that I'll need to get the sleeves lengthened on for it to be wearable (it was $28), but tbh I enjoy the process even if I don't find much. Oh and just to name drop -- I saw a DB pinstriped Zegna suit at the Red Cross op shop. Way too big for me, but it was cool to see something of decent quality.

Anyway, that area seems like pretty fertile territory for thrifting. Cheapskates, take note!

I must have been following you around! I tried on that Zegna. Coat was a good fit, but the pants probably too small, and I thought they were asking a lot for it.

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

we are eGents its those other idiots who are iGents - there are specific meanings

and without being mean - opshops are meant to be discovered with a bit of effort and dedication - not by looking up with a quick search on the net.

Theres a sekret handshake etc...

I can tell you about full on fist fights and floor wrestling in opshops over Full Canvass Metal Jackets and Italian fabrics not to mention Tweed SCs and Goodyear welted shoes - shit - me and meister and Cal Dreamer have been banned by Salvos all over Australia for"disruptive behaviour" - bloody Prods - I've got a special deal (dispensation) with the Micks 'cos of my background an' all.

Just posted on fxh's blog. Security code was "irant" - karma?

3. aKula

aKula Senior member

got the Sunbeam for $44 down from $99 - it works. I was surprised to see some still don't have auto off - weird.

Hmmm ... my wife's birthday is coming up soon. [​IMG]

Committed feminist I see.

Some members of the Singapore cricket club started trying to get their girlfriends in by claiming the women were their maids. So a new regulation was introduced allowing only "permanent maids".

4. porschemad911

porschemad911 Senior member

I'm an education student & need some cheap nice stuff - thats for the info!

Tried posting in some other threads and found people here very snooty. Where I will be working sporting a $10 tie is considered way overdressed.

No worries at all, you can find some decent stuff at good prices during LE sales. Just have to be a bit selective, I've got some things I'm really happy with and others not so much.

I can really recommend the shaker shawl collar cardigan (size down 1 from normal) and the denim jacket (true to size). Polos ... I've tried some of the non-heritage ones before, and don't like the fabric. Supposedly the ones I ordered this time are much better!

5. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Committed feminist I see.
    Nah, she's not really going to get an iron for her birthday, but the vacuum cleaner did shit itself today ...
    You could just get a 4 x 2 and bolt it onto a stud on the wall and wrap a bit of ironing board cover around it with gaffer tape.
    Or maybe I should just get her a couple of those. Probably more practical than an iron and vacuum cleaner combined. [​IMG]

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

If anyone's interested, I spotted some Rhodes and Beckett suits going down to $399. Pretty damn alright for half canvassed in Australia. The one I saw was that same one I wanted from couple of weeks earlier: Chocolate POW check. The drop has got to be a 7 or an 8. I really would be all over it if the pants were not so tight across my thighs as the jacket fit me really well. I also saw some of their shirts for $70 which is also decently priced enough.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm an education student & need some cheap nice stuff - thats for the info!

Tried posting in some other threads and found people here very snooty. Where I will be working sporting a $10 tie is considered way overdressed.

Don't forget the opshops - often if you don't have $ you have time - time and effort is what you need to get the most out of cruising opshops. You need also to know a bit about cloth and clothes and your measurements to make quick and good decisions. A lot of opshops have New/ Old Stock with tags even these days.

Seems to be plenty of ok jeans and chinos in many opshops although I don't look closely.

Certainly opshops are the place for ties.

I can say that there are plenty of pretty OK shirts hardly worn at opshops from time to time. Although with places like LE having sales and new good shirts from $25 - $35 in great patterns etc - it makes buying a second hand opshop shirt at $15 not all that good value. Salvos and Vinnie are getting too expensive to take a punt these days.

edit:: re LE - a lot of what they call Dress Shirts I would call casual shirts ( like a gingham shirt sleeved?). And its dominated by non -iron baaah

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Adriano Carbone. Previously I've had a dinner suit and a sportscoat made there.

Nice [​IMG]

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

If anyone's interested, I spotted some Rhodes and Beckett suits going down to $399. Pretty damn alright for half canvassed in Australia. The one I saw was that same one I wanted from couple of weeks earlier: Chocolate POW check. The drop has got to be a 7 or an 8. I really would be all over it if the pants were not so tight across my thighs as the jacket fit me really well. I also saw some of their shirts for $70 which is also decently priced enough.

How much extra material is there along the inseam?

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

That's the opposite of my house. I've even started ironing her (one) work shirt/blouse. She used to wear them more often but got sick of ironing them. I've started ironing it for her because I think she looks fantastic in them.

If memory serves me correct Lenin's famous phrase 'what is to be done' actually referred to domestic duties. Now where is my feather duster.[​IMG]

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Anyone know where I can buy an iron that actually does the ironing for you? I mean, it's the 21st century for God's sake.

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^I heard you can get them from Japan [​IMG]
    How much extra material is there along the inseam?
    I don't think there's much at all. Probably the 5mm each side to the edge stitching. Maybe I can sneak the pants from suit one size up in the change room and do the ol switcheroo. The pants are pretty crazy slim. Think Sarti trousers and slim that down another notch.

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Okay Australian members - here is a 'what price style dilemma?' for you...

I bought some vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial longwings at Rozelle markets on Saturday. They are beautiful, heavy old school brogues and the shell cordovan (yes, I'm sure) has a great patina too it. With a condition and polish up they are now a rich deep mahogany colour. Just really nice shoes - and at $5, a bargain as well.

Only problem is they are a bit too big for me. Width is fine, but they would be, maybe, a size and half too long. I am wearing them today and they feel, as you would expect, a bit odd. I don't slide around, but I have them laced tight.

What to do? Keep and just make do or pass them on - or can a cobbler pad out the heal cup or something?

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

got the Sunbeam for $44 down from $99 - it works. I was surprised to see some still don't have auto off - weird.

Discovered this morning that the iron beeps beeps beeps etc if left on as well as turning itself off heating. I thought it was a courier truck backing into the room.

Marvellous - or an irritation - I like it - seems like a bonus.

15. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Only problem is they are a bit too big for me. Width is fine, but they would be, maybe, a size and half too long. I am wearing them today and they feel, as you would expect, a bit odd. I don't slide around, but I have them laced tight. What to do? Keep and just make do or pass them on - or can a cobbler pad out the heal cup or something?
    Nice find. A size and a half too long is quite a big difference. I realise that width is not the issue here but have you tried wearing thicker socks and/or insole? If they are 10F, however, I don't think this will work and suggest you get rid of them. PM me [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.