Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I have a sibling who works as an anaesthetist in Canada. Canada has a National Health Service. The NHS sets the Doctors fees ,this limits Doctor's income as the can't charge above the set fee for any given service.About 5 years ago my sibling earnt about C$200,000 p.a. I was a patient in an Australian Hospital and when i went under a general anaesthetic. I told my sibling the cost of my anaesthetic . I was informed that this was triple the Canadian cost for the same procedure. If you triple the chargefor Australian Anaesthetists they will earn 600,000 p.a .

What do Canadian anaesthetists earn in the private health sector?

2. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Did you read the posted comments for that article? Some were pretty hilarious.

I refrain from reading the comments because at best they make my head hurt. I scanned them and found this beauty:

You go man!

3. elvish

elvish Senior member

a little off topic but talking of good service I think Harrolds are quite good.

A lot people say the staff are on you like a rash but I found the store manager in Sydney very helpful in directing me to what I wanted and alterations are free which is nice of them... granted the mark up makes it irrelevant but thoughtful none-the-less.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

No ties

That article is another of the facile - isn't its year since we did an article on ties by getting a junior idiot reporter ringing a few advertisers - regular nonsense we see in the media.

Well you might look smart but you can't possibly look formal without a tie.

Asking a Humanities academic about how to dress well might be akin to asking Paris Hilton about hard work.

But. Hes about right.

Its the new uniform.

I don't have a problem with no tie - except that for very rare cases no tie and with a suit looks like crap - wear a sport jacket or no jacket but not the ubiquitous bloody black suit with open necked shirt.

I call absolute bullshit - you telling me that 60 clients of a "sales and marketing consultancy" actually asked them not to wear a tie ? Nonsense. Perhaps they asked them to justify their fees for garbled "advice" like this:

Well thats a relief - they wear pants! Hey can't wait to see these cats in shirts - no jacket - no tie but - wait for it - cufflinks! Oozes class

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

a little off topic but talking of good service I think Harrolds are quite good.

A lot people say the staff are on you like a rash but I found the store manager in Sydney very helpful in directing me to what I wanted and alterations are free which is nice of them... granted the mark up makes it irrelevant but thoughtful none-the-less.

If you mean Gino... yes, he's a really nice guy.

Always a gent regardless of how much you spend.

6. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

The short answer is i don't know. As i understand the private health sector in Canada is tiny. I think the private system does cosmetic surgery and perhaps varicose veins. All major stuff like cancer ,heart attacks, car accidents maternity go to the public system. Basically the Canadian NHS as a virtual monopoly employer of Doctors and buyer Doctor's services effectively caps Doctors income.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ties

Those boys in men's bodies who say wearing a tie is uncomfortable are just immature as well as illogical.

There is nothing uncomfortable at all about wearing a tie.

8. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

P G Please See Post #5361

9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Ties

Those boys in men's bodies who say wearing a tie is uncomfortable are just immature as well as illogical.

There is nothing uncomfortable at all about wearing a tie.

My 'favourite' look: Suit buttoned up over a shirt; no tie.

To me, it says: I was getting dressed this morning, but had a sudden onset of Alzheimers, and therefore buttoned up my suit jacket, but forgot to first don my tie.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

The short answer is i don't know. As i understand the private health sector in Canada is tiny. I think the private system does cosmetic surgery and perhaps varicose veins. All major stuff like cancer ,heart attacks, car accidents maternity go to the public system. Basically the Canadian NHS as a virtual monopoly employer of Doctors and buyer Doctor's services effectively caps Doctors income.

The Canadian system isn't all that different from the Australian in the Public private/ mix. Much of what is called "private" medicine in Oz is funded largely (85% or so) by the public purse through MBS /PBS.

11. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I wear my 'casual suits' often with no tie.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I wear my 'casual suits' often with no tie.

Yeah well - there are exceptions - linen - cotton etc - depends on the color and cut too.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

That being said, I still go tie-less with suit often enough. I'm already dressing a little too well compared to the rest of the people in my current office. And when I'm in a navy suit, white slightly taller cut-away collar shirt, cardigan that end up looking a little waist-coaty, a tie and elegant shoes, I feel way overdressed. So I go tieless and pretend I'm channeling some FU Tom Ford 3piece no tie thing. Normal spread collar and no cardigan, I keep my tie on.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

That being said, I still go tie-less with suit often enough. I'm already dressing a little too well compared to the rest of the people in my current office. And when I'm in a navy suit, white slightly taller cut-away collar shirt, cardigan that end up looking a little waist-coaty, a tie and elegant shoes, I feel way overdressed. So I go tieless and pretend I'm channeling some FU Tom Ford 3piece no tie thing. Normal spread collar and no cardigan, I keep my tie on.

Cardigan - mmh I think I saw you the other day at Docklands - snapped a pic on my phone

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.