Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

While we're on the subject of shoes, where do you guys source your shoe trees? I'm assuming offshore as I've found nothing worthy in Sydney.

Try eBay - plenty of those great Costco cedar shoe trees and you can often find auctions for multiple sets. Shipping is not cheap but often they will come in at under $25/pair shipped for 6 or 8 pairs which is excellent value when you compare them to the shoe trees available here.

What Shoe cream /conditioner/softener upper did you (and Charlie's Wardrobe) use? - I'd like to soften a new pair of boots up a bit

I use Collinol for all my stuff - I'm not sure if they make a conditioner.

I use some Saphir cream that I bought in Tokyo and it is excellent.
    However, I've also had good results with RM Williams conditioner - it keeps leather supple and gives it a bit of a shine. A large tub is not too expensive.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Try eBay - plenty of those great Costco cedar shoe trees and you can often find auctions for multiple sets. Shipping is not cheap but often they will come in at under $25/pair shipped for 6 or 8 pairs which is excellent value when you compare them to the shoe trees available here.
    Theres a Costco in melbourne but I've never been in it. I think you have to be member to shop there and i don't know what sort of range they have of all kinds of stuff.
    Does the RM stuff then allow say Collinol over the top?

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I find it plenty ironic that these folk, who so often:

- rail against the evil immigrants sponging off hardworking aussies are themselves likely to be the same folk that utilise public amenities (from personal experience, think hospital A&Es on a Friday night) and services (welfare), and simultaneously contribute the least in taxes,

- are happy to point out how (insert recent arrivals) are 'un-Australian', but cannot recall when Australia was founded, name the ship(s) that first landed, identify Gallipolli (or Turkey) on a map, or even define what 'Australian' behaviour is, for that matter.

I'm sure that most of you know precisely the relevant folk I've just described.

Reminds me of a group of "patriotic" teenagers, draped in the flag on Australia Day, who casually washed their feet in a Bali Bombing memorial fountain [​IMG] I really detest that kind of hypocrisy and ignorance, and anyone who hides biggoted opinions behind their so-called patriotism for that matter.

I'm especially wary of anyone who starts a sentence with "I'm not a racist but..."

Anyway, let's not dwell on such things here! Someone post some photos of nice shoes please!

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've just checked my conditioner, and it is branded "Tana Zanolin" Quality conditioner and cleaner. I'm actually just giving my brothers churches a bit of a re furb with it at the moment before I give them a good polish.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Anyway, let's not dwell on such things here! Someone post some photos of nice shoes please!

I found these at the back of the cupboard. As far as I can recall they are around 35 years old.

The last time the brown ones were worn was around 1981 or so.

I bring the chisel toes out every blue moon for a country music gig.
    [​IMG]

6. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

Shoe Trees - If your gagging to blow cash there is a shoe repair shop upstairs in Chifley Plaza sells cedar shoe trees for $70 a pair.

There is also an old shoe repair guy in the Hunter Connection Arcade, I often see guys sitting at his counter with o shoes on getting some repair or other. The place looks great in so far as there are tons of ancient shoes neatly stacked in pairs, and all kinds of old school toys there. He also sells shoe trees but I have not checked to see if they are the coveted cedar variety or what he charges.

If your all class like myself you'll opt for the $2.50 plastic adjustable's for your L1's.

7. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

Can anybody please recommend a good place to get alterations made in Melbourne; preferably CBD or eastern suburbs?

I had a jacket altered at Katrina's and the work was fine. I read here somewhere that the female owner has taken a maternity break. The chap I dealt with didn't have great English. I've since used the alterations tailor under Narau House (sorry don't recall the name). Recommended.

8. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Another advantage of pediwear is that shoe tree's are included with their Loake's, not sure about the other brands. For my other shoes, I have a bunch of Florsheim ones which are really quite good and I think about $35 a pair, head to the closest store and check though cos it's been about 5 years since I bought any

can't say about Syd, but in Melbourne i've found two places: Florsheim (cnr Bourke and Russel, Melb CBD) and McClouds (cnr Queen and Lt Collins, Melb CBD) - both stock Florsheim split-toe cedar trees for ~$25 a pair. the ones at the Florsheim store have plastic heels but are $5 cheaper.

look around though - i'm sure there'll be something up in Sydney.

I've seen the ones with the plastic heels from Florsheim but prefer a "full" shoe tree. I'll check the city Florsheim for the full ones.

The shipping is killer for these things huh. Buying in bulk may be a good option though. Thanks

Shoe Trees - If your gagging to blow cash there is a shoe repair shop upstairs in Chifley Plaza sells cedar shoe trees for $70 a pair.

There is also an old shoe repair guy in the Hunter Connection Arcade, I often see guys sitting at his counter with o shoes on getting some repair or other. The place looks great in so far as there are tons of ancient shoes neatly stacked in pairs, and all kinds of old school toys there. He also sells shoe trees but I have not checked to see if they are the coveted cedar variety or what he charges.

If your all class like myself you'll opt for the $2.50 plastic adjustable's for your L1's.

$70! Mind you I did pay $100 for my C&J shoe trees [​IMG]

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Louisa's Leather across the lane from Italian imports is a weird monument to very expensive tacky brand name womens shoes and bags.The also had some expensive brand name mens shoes and I think some Churches but nothing even remotely SF approved. Worth a visit just to marvel at how much money there is in brand name womens shoes and accessories.

That's a surprise. I've bought lots of Santoni FAM there, as well as Testoni from the city shop. They stock some Tods and Church's, and the odd Trickers or AEs if you get lucky with size.

Last time I went there the men's shoes area was a fraction of its former size. I think what they are doing is shifting their men's shoes to the Collins St outlet, which is where I bought some cheap Testonis last December.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Can anybody please recommend a good place to get alterations made in Melbourne; preferably CBD or eastern suburbs?
    I go to an alterations tailor called Katrina's in the city. I'm pretty happy with them. Evans in the Block Arcade sells a good range of shoe trees.

11. jobro

jobro Senior member

I've seen the ones with the plastic heels from Florsheim but prefer a "full" shoe tree. I'll check the city Florsheim for the full ones.
    The Florsheims I picked up had a kind of block heel (see picture below), not quite the "full" type. [​IMG]

12. ricotta

ricotta Well-Known Member

jesbro: i've got 3 of those, and 4 of the plastic heeled ones. they're not bad i think since the cedar is still there in volumes, and iirc the point of the cedar is to neutralize the moisture/odor.

does anyone know where to get decent shoe cream in melbourne? all the brands i hear about on SF (e.g. Saphir) don't seem to be around.

wow.. i just realized i own 7 pairs of shoe trees.
    SF does corrupt absolutely.

13. ricotta

ricotta Well-Known Member

I had a jacket altered at Katrina's and the work was fine. I read here somewhere that the female owner has taken a maternity break. The chap I dealt with didn't have great English. I've since used the alterations tailor under Narau House (sorry don't recall the name). Recommended.
    the guy at Katrina's has terrible english indeed.. but i'd like to think his judgement makes up for it. he usually knows what you're after and can tell you whether it'll work or not. i've had a dozen or so shirts taken in there with decent (decent, not perfect) results. (then again i haven't tried the others so can't say they're more/less consistent than others.)

14. raybert

raybert Well-Known Member

The Florsheims I picked up had a kind of block heel (see picture below), not quite the "full" type.

[​IMG]

I think they are the ones I saw at DJs (Brisbane CBD) for $39 or so.

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I went to the Luisa outlet on the weekend.

They had some (rubber soled) Testonis in the $400-500 range, various shoes from Antonio Maurizi, a few Truckers and a pair of Churches at $1300.

Over the road they had lots of Pal Zileri suits and jackets, all of which have sleeves that are far too short OTR. A few fantastic left-over summer wool sportscoats...a grey check wool with purple windowpane. At $495 I'm almost tempted to buy it and see how much a tailor can let out. How much 'extra' sleeve is there in a generic high-end Italian jacket?

Their other big brand was Antonio Nardelli but the fit was similar to Pal Zileri. They had a nice navy Valentino suit that off the rack was perfect...down to $895 they said but I can get better value for fused fashion suiting elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.