Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonthach54

sonthach54 Active Member

Lachyzee, did you see what size the Canalis were?

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Lachyzee, did you see what size the Canalis were?

There were at least 10 size 50 Canalis and probably more in the other sizes too I would think.

3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

lachyzee - were you there at lunchtime too? Wearing black thick-rimmed glasses?

I was the tall light-haired guy with glasses looking for suits for my short mate.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

lachyzee - were you there at lunchtime too? Wearing black thick-rimmed glasses?

I was the tall light-haired guy with glasses looking for suits for my short mate.

Nope, later in the afternoon. Don't think there was anyone else in there with me, same as yesterday. Very peaceful.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Where do you gents find the time in the middle of a week day? edit: Ruzzi here are your rings [​IMG] Actually, whenever there's an occasion like that, family always seem to just go to Hong Kong and get the rings made at one of the jewelers.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I'm a five minute tram ride away.

7. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

Pop quiz: Need to buy a wedding band.

Preferences: Platinum, relatively simple, modern, no stupid tiffany markup but not from a chain store like Wallace Bishop or Michael Hill Jeweller either (that doesn't go with my SW&D steez!)

Any recs?

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Where do you gents find the time in the middle of a week day?

edit: Ruzzi here are your rings

[​IMG]

Actually, whenever there's an occasion like that, family always seem to just go to Hong Kong and get the rings made at one of the jewelers.

blah - ya can't just grab a cheap Phantom ring out of a packet of Whizz Fizz and call it a wedding ring - or can you?

9. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

Blah - hahaha nice. Good tip I might just head down to Chinatown actually see what they've got

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Blah - hahaha nice. Good tip I might just head down to Chinatown actually see what they've got
    Are you in Sydney? if so try Castlereagh Street, still a few good estate jewellers between Park and Market who will also craft to individual specifications. Many years ago I picked up a rose gold Cladagh ring for the missus there. Then had my mothers, her mum's and her favourite aunts wedding rings smelted and recast into two plain 18c gold bands for us. Also an interesting article in todays SMH about the closures of Colorado http://www.smh.com.au/small-business...615-1g2z1.html In a print article it listed the job losses in a variety of retail collapses, mostly due to bad management, but stated that only 5% of the population shop online and its only expected to reach 10% in the coming years.

11. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Interesting...

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ sounds like a place bogans would avoid.

14. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Let's see how the Lefty Coalition scrub up against the Righty Coalition at the mid-winter ball. [​IMG] Tim Matheison. Good bow tie, jacket has notch lapels (at least they have silk facings) with 3 buttons...but he leaves the top button undone and intead buttons up the lower two. FAIL [​IMG] Tony Abbott. Pears a classic peak-lapel jacket with some ghastly black paisley tie. FAIL [​IMG] Ruddster. Nice stud set, jacket sleeves too short. Not mad on the bow-tie. No cummerbund though..you are not Daniel Craig. C+ [​IMG] [​IMG] All good....and judging by the 2nd picture he may be wearing a cummerbund. A+ [​IMG] Black shirt with black tie (with silver trim). Ghastly. FAIL [​IMG] Rocking the double breasted look. Extra marks for perfect sleeve length. A+ [​IMG] Same as Kevin. Fat guys need a cummerbund. B+ [​IMG] Another example of why fat guys need a cummerbund. Plus your jacket is too long. C- [​IMG] Looks like an IT-geek going for an interview. FAIL [​IMG] Obviously forgot to read the invite. FAIL [​IMG] Knows the rules..then breaks them. Needs a nicer pair of shoes though. B+

15. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Pop quiz: Need to buy a wedding band.

Preferences: Platinum, relatively simple, modern, no stupid tiffany markup but not from a chain store like Wallace Bishop or Michael Hill Jeweller either (that doesn't go with my SW&D steez!)

Any recs?

I go to Percy Marks in Sydney for Mrs S's baubles and they also made my wedding band. They have some massively expensive jewellery, but really they will make you whatever you want and that doesn't have to be expensive. They have been around for yonks and their customer service is great. Zero snobbishness considering that they are very much the Sydney old-money jeweller of choice.

I think the advantage of the really established places (eg Hardy Brother, Fairfax and Roberts) is you are going to get what you pay for.

If you want something a bit more modern LOVE+HATERED (Strand Arcade) do some interesting work.

Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.