• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moffs don't eat clothes. Their cute little babies do. The larvi do the eating. They dont drink they get their mositure from the food. The grown ups don't eat at all. They may only live a month in total. The usually don't fly they crawl around. They are tiny. The eggs/ larvae are even tinier. Fascinating aren't they.

They don't like light, fresh air and movement. Much like a teenager or IT department.

Mothballs smell dreadful and only work if in high concentrations in a sealed container.
Freezing, in a plastic bag can kill both babies and adults. Dry cleaning works well as it both drys out moisture and removes food and kills bloody moffs and larvae.

I'm a big fan of hanging woollen suits, jackets and trousers in particular out in the wind and sunshine for a few hours in spring and autumn at least to frighten the moths.

Brushing jackets, suits, etc of wool after each wear keeps things clean and fresh. Actually I find it often easier to do just prior to wearing rather than after. Keep a brush near the front door and do a quick brush over as you leave. Keep one at work in a drawer. There used to be lots of lovely old brush sets in opshops. But good cheap basic brushes are around. No need to spend big money. Its a brush.

Open up cupboards to light and air. Frequently. Shuffle stuff around a lot. They don't like movement.

Vacuum in cupboards. If you have a good clean brush attachment vacuuming your clothes is a good idea for a lot of reasons. Just don't let anyone see you do it.

There's been some suggestion that a light permanently on in wardrobe might frighten the buggers and now with better LED lights is probably practical. I'm not aware of any real evidence about it though.

With jumpers, cardies, scarves etc same applies except you can gently wash them.

I understand that dry cleaning then vacuum sealing works but I'd be a bit worried about condensation. Haven't seen anything on that yet.

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour go and see George Skoufis in Paddo.

+100

This is where I got my glasses from.

George is a great guy and his team know how to fit the glasses well.

They don't sell any Luxottica brands - only European niche. George is just as passionate about construction and heritage as I am.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re Moths Csnberra is particularly bad if your not careful. I had to throw a suit out because moths feasted on it. Since then with jumpers I wash then seal in ziplock bags with a few sprigs of lavender. The thing is to ensure wardrobe doors are shut. As for freezing 48 hours is enough to kill off anything.

Last edited:

Oleg

Reaction score

Re Moths Csnberra is particularly bad if your not careful. I had to throw a suit out because moths feasted on it. Since then with jumpers I wash then seal in ziplock bags with a few sprigs of lavender. The thing is to ensure wardrobe doors are shut. As for freezing 48 hours is enough to kill off anything.

Absolute bastards in the ACT. They did a jumper of mine that I left in the laundry basket for a couple of days.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moffs don't eat clothes. Their cute little babies do. The larvi do the eating. They dont drink they get their mositure from the food. The grown ups don't eat at all. They may only live a month in total. The usually don't fly they crawl around. They are tiny. The eggs/ larvae are even tinier. Fascinating aren't they.

They don't like light, fresh air and movement. Much like a teenager or IT department.

Mothballs smell dreadful and only work if in high concentrations in a sealed container.
Freezing, in a plastic bag can kill both babies and adults. Dry cleaning works well as it both drys out moisture and removes food and kills bloody moffs and larvae.

I'm a big fan of hanging woollen suits, jackets and trousers in particular out in the wind and sunshine for a few hours in spring and autumn at least to frighten the moths.

Brushing jackets, suits, etc of wool after each wear keeps things clean and fresh. Actually I find it often easier to do just prior to wearing rather than after. Keep a brush near the front door and do a quick brush over as you leave. Keep one at work in a drawer. There used to be lots of lovely old brush sets in opshops. But good cheap basic brushes are around. No need to spend big money. Its a brush.

Open up cupboards to light and air. Frequently. Shuffle stuff around a lot. They don't like movement.

Vacuum in cupboards. If you have a good clean brush attachment vacuuming your clothes is a good idea for a lot of reasons. Just don't let anyone see you do it.

There's been some suggestion that a light permanently on in wardrobe might frighten the buggers and now with better LED lights is probably practical. I'm not aware of any real evidence about it though.

With jumpers, cardies, scarves etc same applies except you can gently wash them.

I understand that dry cleaning then vacuum sealing works but I'd be a bit worried about condensation. Haven't seen anything on that yet.

Re moths - cleaning clothes before storage and storing with Cedar or Bay Leaves.

You can buy a 70 piece cedar set on Amazon for 14$ + shipping. Add some cedar refreshing spray from Howard's Storage World and you're set.

Thanks for the suggestions. The moth problem seems big on google. I have been too careless . I will buy the cedar set from amazon. Moth balls really stinks. When I was young my mom used them in draws and inside cloths. I can't stand the smell. Specially on trains some one sits next to you with strong naphthalene smell makes me feel really uncomfortable . On further investigation realised probably moth / larva started out with one of the scarves - obvious reason. And unlucky on that shelve I had kept one of the brand new merino sweater( this thing is gone holes around the back sleeve joint and behind the collar and all around) and since I movers the scarves to a knit draw the cashmere knit got stuffed. There was 2 other knits on that draw one full cotton , other cotton cashmere mix. They seemed ok. What I also did was placing my fully stuffed merino cardigan on my main knit draw- there are 10+ knits from merino to cashmere, lambs wool to prima cotton knits. No visible damage to any of them. So all is in freezer as of last night . BBQ / beer fridge came handy.
I have left my cotton knits out - as larva don't eat them , plus way too cold and need to wear knit under suits/ jackets . I plan to freeze them as well once I bring out the others. I just hope those little buggers die in there.

MarkDH

Reaction score
Apparently they use blake construction because its cheaper. I read that its less waterproof and cant be easily resoled though.

Most of their designs dont do much for me, like this one : http://www.matadorshoes.com/collections/mens-dress-shoes/products/jose. Might be the camera angle but it looks too wide to me. And they have a wingtip that looks too slim. I think they do a lot of experimentation...

Some other little known brands i found as well (mostly off review sites, blogs, etc) that have shoes for $200 or below :

http://www.beckettsimonon.com/

Full grain leather, goodyear welted soles, USD $150, and you get a noticeable discount if you pre-order something. Downside is that they dont ship overseas, but you can use a freight forwarding company if you want (they give you a US address and then ship it to Australia, and since shipping in the US is free, you dont pay extra).

http://www.jackerwin.com/

$195 USD shoes that got a very nice review over at "Put this on". I get the impression they don't ship overseas though. Full grain leather and blake constructed.

http://www.johndoeshoes.com (might have mentioned this before)

About $140-$160 for full grain leather and goodyear welted soles, but i'm told theres a noticeable difference between that and stuff in the $200 mark like factory seconds Allen Edmonds. I think they have the cheapest chromexcel leather shoes at about $200 though.

www.shoebank.com

Factory outlet site for Allen Edmonds, not everything there is full grain leather though. Not sure if the stores listed take international orders.
I would be doubtful on the quality of shoes that are supposedly goodyear welted and full grain leather for $300 US or less. They would have to be made in China for that price and I would question the leather quality. Goodyear welted shoes take a lot of time to make and the materials wise are costly. It is why Grensons, Allen Edmonds shoes are up in the next price bracket.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds shoes are fantastic for the price. Particularly the seconds - you will need to use a re-shipper, though. They don't ship internationally.. I think they are on about the same level as Meermin. Huge range of widths and sizes, too. Not everyone likes the styling, though. And they do make some shockers.

If you set up Amazon price alerts in camelcamel for AE shoes in your size, a few times a year you can get firsts of the the common models for ~$250 shipped. Best shoe deal going around in my book.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Well that's a wrong opinion. You know AE make more than just the Park Avenue?

Some of us don't like pointy toed Euro Rumplestiltskin shoes and prefer something more understated....

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the look of the AE Strands (first photo in Lachy's last post).

In Brooks Brothers the other week they had some made in the US shoes, which I can only assume were AE. The style was ok but the leather was crap. I think this is the principal complaint about AE.

I was suprised to see BB Melbourne also had some LL Bean boots in stock as well.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean boots in Melbourne? :embar:

AE doesn't make all of BB's shoes. They are also made by Alden, Trickers, Alfred Sargent and C & J, depending on the model. http://www.styleforum.net/t/67330/how-to-determine-the-manufacturer-of-a-brooks-brothers-shoe/0_50

I have never heard anyone complain about AE's leather (as long as you stay away from the corrected grain "polished cobbler" leather).

The cordovan comes from exactly the same place as everyone else's (other than Meermin who get it from Japan or Argentina I believe), e.g. Horween.

And you can buy a pair of Cordovan AEs for $300 or $400 at a seconds sale. Good luck finding that kind of price elsewhere.... I just picked up these LWBs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie1776