1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

#1 mistake is assuming Styfo is that much different from Fb.
    And wtf Severus?! He was Hans Gruber.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Vale Nelson Mandela

3 people like this.
  3. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

I'm guessing you don't have too many friends hey pal....

I'm cooking a hand caught cod, sinking a little creatures and bopping to golden years..,

Lighten up Skeen of Mean

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

Spoken like a true cynic. And one that doesn't know much about Rickman. Don't know about others but I pretty much grew up watching Rickman as Snape and that's not even close to his best, most notable works that have surely affected and made an impact on many men and women. People die all the time - icons of influence don't, Bowie has always inspired people who may be different and promoted equalities among colours and genders, and again, do you really consider 'entertainment' to not be an ongoing contribution? Probably the most hypocritical thing to say in the 21st century. For me these people's deaths represent the passing of a great generation of entertainers and artists which is always sad no matter the circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Agree with all of that. I'd add that Bowie's latest, including the videos, had been getting pretty receptive reviews even before he died. As the last work of a major artist, done while he was dying, it is doubtless going to end up ranked as one of his most important works. A comparable example was Warren Zevon's last album, which won Grammys and is now rated as one of his best.

2 people like this.
  6. fxh

fxh Senior member

My New Years resolution has been to give up all the expensive "craft" beers like l'il Creatures , IPAs etc and go back to the old Lunatic Soup - Coopers Sparkling Ale. Its a superior brew.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Meet David Strangis and Anthony Sacco, the best friends who turned affordable fashion into $8 million business Bronze Snake

Best mates David Strangis and Anthony Sacco are preparing to celebrate 10 years in March since founding their business.

Strangis and Sacco were still teenagers when they founded Bronze Snake, a fashion brand aimed at offering new on-trend items every few weeks, available exclusively at an affordable price point.

“I set it up with my best mate Anthony when we were around 19 years old. We just saw, I guess you’d say a niche in the market for affordable products,” Strangis told SmartCompany.

The pair met on the very first day of secondary school, when they buddied up in their year 7 class, and they became business partners one year after finishing year 12.

“One year after (graduating secondary school) Ant was doing a marketing course and I was doing an accounting degree and it wasn’t as exciting as we thought it would be,” Strangis says.

Starting a business seemed “a little more exciting” and Bronze Snake was established.

But like most entrepreneurs, Strangis says the first four to five years were a real struggle.

“You keep seeing a light but then it keeps getting taken away from you,” he says.

But Bronze Snake hit its stride and the company now employs a staff of 42 across their five stores and warehouse.

The growth has landed Bronze Snake in SmartCompany’s annual Smart50 for the past two years, with the retailer taking out sixth spot in 2015 thanks to $8.85 million in revenue for the 2014-15 financial year and a three-year growth rate of 468%.

Bronze Snake’s 10th birthday will coincide with Strangis and Sacco getting the keys to their first New Zealand store, which will open on April 1 in Auckland. At the same time, Bronze Snake will launch an online operation in New Zealand.

The Auckland store will be the sixth Bronze Snake outlet, with shops in Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and two in Melbourne, including the original flagship store in Fitzroy.

“We still strongly believe in a bricks-and-mortar store… I think that exposure that you get on the street, to feel the product gives you the confidence to buy online,” Strangis says.

“It’s almost like a different form of advertising,” he says.

SmartCompany caught up with Strangis to find out how he and Sacco manage their time to stay on top of the latest trends and what’s in store for Bronze Snake in the years to come.

Morning:

It’s not enough for Strangis and Sacco to run a business together, the pair choose to start their mornings together too.

“Every second morning we start the day off with a run, a light jog that turns into a competitive run,” Strangis says.

Then the pair sit down to a very Melbourne breakfast – poached eggs on toast with a side of spinach and a strong latte – at a cafe near their Collingwood warehouse before going over numbers of what has sold and the stock that each of their stores holds.

Daily life:

“Each day is never the same, but nevertheless it’s always fun and I get to do it with Ant and hang out with my best mate every day,” Strangis says.

The pair spends Monday to Friday in the Collingwood warehouse, running numbers, designing products and lending a hand to the online store.

By the time Saturday comes around, they head to one of their five stores to see things first-hand. This gives them the chance to see what’s moving off the shelves and what products customers are liking.

“A lot of the customers don’t know we are the owners and the designers and they tell us what they think - quite openly - and we don’t take offence at all,” Strangis says

“That kind of feedback is priceless.”

Seeing their clientele and what they’re wearing also gives Strangis and Sacco ideas of current styles and trends. As Strangis and Sacco are both designers of Bronze Snake’s products, keeping up with the latest looks is crucial.

Strangis says the pair is constantly on the lookout for changing trends, getting inspiration from their travel and even taking note of what their peers are wearing out at night.

All of Bronze Snake’s clothes are made in China and Indonesia, closely supervised by the business owners for ethical and safety standards.

“And I personally visit each factory to make sure everything is above board,” Strangis says.

Bronze Snake keeps its advertising pretty low key, using Instagram and email marketing, which customers sign up for through their database.

“We don’t bombard (people’s inboxes),” Strangis said.

“We think our products are pretty strong advertising because we think it’s a solid product at a strong price.”

Leisure:

There’s never much downtime for the busy owners who work six days a week and travel monthly for work.

“We enjoy the sun, so I guess heading down to the beach on a Sunday is a good thing,” Strangis says.

However, it’s a different story in the winter months, which has become the busiest season for Bronze Snake.

“I think because with our lower price points you notice that more with the jackets as opposed to our shorts or a t-shirt,” Strangis says.

Nevertheless, the friends do manage to take a few days off during the snow season to get in some quality snowboarding time.

The future:

Still buoyed from the success of the opening of their Perth store in December, Strangis says much of Bronze Snake’s resources are currently going into the New Zealand launch.

Success in Auckland will mean the ability for Strangis and Sacco to open an Auckland warehouse to give Kiwi fans same-day shipping and if all goes well, further expansion to Wellington is on the cards.

“Hopefully New Zealand will love the items as much as Australia does and we can get a warehouse in New Zealand to ship the stuff,” Strangis says.

The Auckland store is also test for Bronze Snake to go international, with aspirations to expand globally to Bali and the United States.

The other goal, for many years, has been to open a Bronze Snake shop in Brisbane, Strangis says.

Strangis and Sacco have been searching for a site but so far have not been able to find a suitable location.

With each announcement of a new store, Strangis says their Brisbane fans get frustrated.

“We get abusive comments on Instagram,” he laughs.

“We’re looking.”

It’s one indication of the enthusiasm of the Bronze Snake fan base. Another example was the first Bronze Snake warehouse sale, which was held in August last year. Customers were queuing from as early as 5am.

“(The queue) wrapped around the whole Collingwood Town Hall and police had to come and stop traffic,” Strangis says.

In fact, the business’s security personnel had overslept and they had to delay opening the warehouse because of fears a fashion riot was about to occur. Luckily he was only a few minutes late and the sale was an overwhelming success.

Strangis predicts Bronze Snake’s growing retail footprint will see the brand hit the $10 million revenue mark this year but for this entrepreneur, the best part of running the business is more personal.

“I get to do it with my best mate,” he says.

http://bronzesnake.com/

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

PoP - is that you?

1 person likes this.
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Skeen, the death of an influential person is important, whether their recent work has been up to scratch or not. (In the cases of both Bowie and Rickman, I'd say it probably has been.)

Instead of being open-ended, their oeuvre is now a closed book, which can be assessed as a whole. What better time to do that than the moment of closure?

I have no idea of your age. (Well actually, I'm guessing you were born in August 1979, but it's just a wild guess.) Age is relevant. When Sir Alec Guinness died, I didn't think much of it - I hadn't yet seen Kind Hearts And Coronets, The Ladykillers, or Bridge on the River Kwai and only knew him as Obi-Wan Kenobi. When Louis Armstrong passed, I hardly noticed. I thought of him as a kind of Weird Al Yankovic of jazz, unaware of his gigantic influence on jazz and popular music in general. I simply hadn't grown up with these people. They remained to be discovered by me.

The retrospectives of Bowie's and Rickman's work now underway give young'uns a chance to make that discovery for themselves. We need to make a fuss about these guys because in the overall scheme, they are important. None more so than Bowie, who I believe will go down in history as one of the towering figures of 20th-Century performance art. People of his talent appear only once in every few decades. Of course it's sad that he's gone - he gave so much joy and inspiration to so many.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    4 people like this.
  10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Sigh I miss those Coopers Grenades, great for plaiying beer hunter in the early 80's.

Picked up a bottle of Archie Rose Signature Dry Gin have had one and as the Alchemical maxium states "the one becomes two and the two becomes many" (maybe) I know of late there has been a preocupation with Japanes Whisky but this is a very fine spirit indeed.

1 person likes this.
  11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

As for the Journey to the Western Lands its as Jim Morrison said " no one gets out of here alive." As a creative musician Bowie had as diverse a musical career as Miles is to jazz IMHO. Art is part of part of the creative expression of the human condition.

So what if he didn't replicate the creative output of the 70's in the 80's beyond. As a body or rock & roll, glam, white (plastic) soul, the Berlin Trilogy, it clearly stands as testament to his creative ability which I doubt will be surpassed ever again.

He combined a variety of artistic streams to create a distinct musical vision. I grew up with Bowie and still regularly play his albums, people were genuinely shocked at his sudden passing. Even my 21 yo son texted me about it saying how he grew up with it as well.

So what if he didn't write symphonies or provide a cure for baldness, he wrote some damn fine rock & roll in many guises which enriched my life and certain women's for that matter, and I for one will miss the fact that their is no more music forthcoming.

End of rant now excuse me I must return to my drinking and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane played loud enough to annoy the neighbors.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Top drop Mr FXH, Coopers Pale is now my staple, I got impulsive this arv and picked up a 6 of Freo's Finest.

13. sliq

sliq Senior member

maybe Skeen opens at the close

1 person likes this.
  14. VirgilVerne

By God Aud is so bloody broken... now hesitating to order international which is 90% of the good stuff

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yeah sorry mate I'm on the IPAs tonight.

Now please before there are anymore surprise celebrity deaths just tell me - is it ok to wear a pocket hank to a funeral?

16. VirgilVerne

Plain white with TV fold should be fine

17. Kyoto

Kyoto Member

If you think the AUD is dead, you should check the Baltic Dry Index.

Global trade is grinding to a halt. This has never happened. It is now lower than it was at any time during peak of GFC.

The talking heads on the TV will not report the truth of the matter until the last moment.

18. VirgilVerne

So after trying out some online MTMs I'm trying to get a suit from a local Sydney service to see if they can produce a better fit, (aud's factor as well... kinda feels weird knowing how much cheaper it could have been, but alas) does anyone have any recommendations? (honestly I'd really love to just go bespoke but just don't have the budget to sink in that amount of grands into a single suit...)

I've shortlisted the following
    Montagio
    George & King
    Rochefort
    PJT
    Suit Shop
    Zink & Sons

does anyone have any comments to make about any of these? Past experiences perhaps? And btw, does anyone know where they outsource their making to? I know suit shop goes to China but not sure about others

19. VirgilVerne

ay yai yai.....just saw the chart, pretty darn horrifying

20. JSAN

JSAN Senior member

I've been selling off the plan houses in QLD, but most enquiries are from interstate. Are the prices that crazy there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.