1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

I saw The Dressmaker the other night.
    Mainly because I'd had it recommend, softly, by a friend in the game.
    And another friend has a extra/bit part. At one magnificent close up taking up the whole screen with his face. Briefly.
    It probably didn't help that I initially asked the nice young girl for 4 tickets to The Seamstress. Clearly she didn't know what a seamstress was. My family "helpfully" corrected me.

I thought the first hafl of the film was like the worst of Australian cutesy comedic outback (the real Australians!) films but the second half managed to almost rescue it with a kind of sunny gothic tragedy.
    In general I wasn't convinced by the broader mise en scène at all. In fact it got in the way. I thought it was too contrived, cartoonish and self aware. I did like the costumes.
    I haven't read the book and going on the film I'm unlikely to but I did sometimes get the feeling this was a missed opportunity for a grander film with a more centred noir feel.
    But then again maybe I'm just a grumpy old fart.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

The most recent film I saw was The Martian. I liked it a lot, but I'm worried about Matt Damon; is he starting to become typecast as "bloke left behind in outer space"?

3. eightace

eightace Senior member

Fitpics from this evening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sliq

sliq Senior member

not bad eightace. i think the jacket is a touch big for you - if that were me i'd size down; and i'd swap the tie for something less bold and with a bit of texture that is more suited to the texture of jacket and also because it's a dressed down outfit. maybe a navy knit tie.

1 person likes this.
  5. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Thoughts on the new PJT glamour shots? Would like to know if I am alone in my assessment....

https://pjt.com/gallery

Maybe I am losing touch, but I don't see many good lines: just lots and lots of wrinkles, lots of collar gaps, and very poor trouser fits. Quite a few of the photos make me cringe and the photography hurts my eyes (over exposed, contrast way too high, poor representation of fabric textures and colour). The tailoring does not appear comfortable to me. They are nice guys personality wise, but I have to say I only know (or knew) a significantly smaller proportion, given all the new staff.

Please please please dial it the fuck back and take us to simpler times. Please. I beg u....

End rant. Back to regular programming...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

First pic
    "Hey nice shoes bro!"
    "You too. Lookin sprezz brah!"

second pic
    "we're all wearing the same shoes lololol"

2 people like this.
  7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

The whole jumper over the jacket is cringey, especially when seen on 28+ degree days.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I agree. That said P Johnson clearly have the ability to make well fitted suits.

A couple of months ago an American was skeptical about P Johnson having seen pictures of Porter in a double breasted jacket that was way too slim for him. It's not a good marketing image.

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I don't see any ill-fitting garments in that gallery. Some jackets are a little less structured and the material could be a little wrinkly. That's all.

The lighting is harsh and makes all the materials look too shiny. I think that's the main problem.

Apart from that, the actual clothes look pretty good - nice cuts, nice style.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I think they have presented their products extremely poorly. The whole thing looks awful, save for a couple of shots.

Hopefully the stylist gets the boot next time cause the clothes deserve better.

2 people like this.
  11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

One of them is wearing chukkas?

Agree with you Cox. PJ's point of difference is to try and be casual in a formal setting. Basically trying to be a linen summer suit with wool. I think they do a good job, but yeah, shiny flash!

The female models in the section below look nice.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

You are trying way to hard in attempting to emulate Guido.

1 person likes this.
  13. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks for the feedback Sliq. Yes, the jacket is a touch too big. I'm annoyingly between 36 and 38 (and I've lost weight recently), the jacket is 38. And yep, I need a couple of new ties. Maybe I'll mention it to the missus followed by the word 'Christmas'.

14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Who me?

If only. Dartagnan Red was right, I've gone back down to MJB $350 suits. Cost of living is just ridiculously high at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Wine Fridge?

2 people like this.
  16. GinoSprezzalini

GinoSprezzalini Active Member

Hey guys, new guy here - hoping to be able to contribute. Was doing some research on suits when I came across this site.

I was thinking about PJT, but are these guys even tailors? The guys in the pictures look a bit young?

1 person likes this.
  17. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

lol geezus not this again.

no theyre not "tailors".

yes they have "tailors" in their name".

someone call the ACCC!!!

1 person likes this.
  18. GinoSprezzalini

GinoSprezzalini Active Member

I'm sorry - I'm still reading through the forum. This thread is pretty long.

19. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

apologies, this has been discussed at length.

20. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Does PJ allow you to lower the lapel gorge at all? This is something that irks me on a lot of styleforumy type suits, very high gorges which just don't look right to my eye.

Don't know what they were thinking with that lighting, all the darker suits look like suit pyjamas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.