• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
LJ, that's a bit of a difficult question, for a few reasons:

- Not all fabrics are alike. A tightly-woven sheer worsted cloth would be hotter to wear than a fresco or open-weave cloth of the same weight;
- An unlined jacket is, of course, cooler than a lined jacket so construction makes a difference, too; and
- Different people feel heat differently - some will be sweating up a storm just wearing a shirt while others are quite comfortable wearing a jacket.

Fresco (and fresco-like) cloth that I've seen has varied in weight from 8oz to 15oz per yard (about 250g to 450g or so per metre). I don't know that I'd want to wear the heaviest cloth, but I think that I'd quite comfortable wear something in the 10 to 12oz range, particularly if it's largely unlined as the air will pass through it quite well.

Rene of Deer Style in Brisbane has access to J&J Minnis fresco cloth but he also has cloth of pretty much identical weave that he can make up for quite a bit less than the Minnis fresco cloth, too.

Jackets will wear warmer than pants too. I wore my tropical wool suit (Suit Shop) to a wedding reception dinner on Saturday night (Melbourne), though I felt quite warm in the torso it was a bit nippy in the butt. Maybe I should wear leggings underneath next time...

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to my question earlier, I wasn't very clear.

Whats the heaviest weight fabric (wool) you would wear in, say, high 20's?

Is 10-12 Oz pushing it?

Mostly in an air-con environment, but don't want to be sweating if I walk a few hundred meters to lunch etc.

I feel the heat, so I never wear anything other than cotton, linen or super merino.

I generally wear a 110-120 super with a 120-140 cotton shirt.

Walking around Sydney at lunchtime today, so many guys are sporting the smart business casual with no tie.

Do you wear a tie to work even if it's not mandated?

I have 3 modes:
- Business: for court and formal occasions - suit and tie
- Business casual: everyday office wear or when going out somewhere - blazer, OCBD, chinos or jeans
- Casual: wearing around the house/uni - tshirt, chinos or jeans

Last edited:

Sartorial Scum

Reaction score
I think navy chinos (to go with lighter jackets), light-grey flannel/garbadine pants to go with darker jackets work well.

Woollen navy trousers can be a bit too dressy though, but I like grey/beige cotton chinos too. Oh and linen is always nice for the Australian climate -- so long as you don't mind the creasing.

On an unrelated note, I've written up a quick review of Tokyo shopping on my blog -- check it out if you're interested, particularly if anyone is planning to head over any time soon.

A few pics:

Likely heading down for the fourth year in a row this November. It will be the first since my "Menswear Enlightenment" phase so I will definitely check it out

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Heading to my first company ball at the end of august. I dont have a tux nor do I want to buy one for such a rare occasion. I want to win the prize for best dressed. Any suggestions on what I should wear?

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I assume women will be judging so best to go with really tight light grey suit, black shirt, and neon tie with curly toed Aquila loafers. Throw in a PS that matches your tie as well in a four point configuration for the win.

Last edited:

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
Walking around Sydney at lunchtime today, so many guys are sporting the smart business casual with no tie.

Do you wear a tie to work even if it's not mandated?

na mate i'm a bit comfort orientated so most days are chinos, loafers (love loafers), and shirt... and compendium... But, I have 3 suits in the office, 4 pairs of shoes, 3 ties, and even a white pocket square and a shaving set haha, so can clean myself up if I need.

Although once, a client said to members of our sales desk who all had ties on because we were hosting a meeting - only employees wear ties! haha

Nolvadex

Reaction score

^ I assume women will be judging so best to go with really tight light grey suit, black shirt, and neon tie with curly toed Aquila loafers. Throw in a PS that matches your tie as well in a four point configuration for the win.

Why do I need to buy a ps when I can get a suit with one stitched in!

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is solid award winning advice. To take it the extra mile, get a ****** haircut FTW. You know the classic slight mullet over the collar or a faux-hawk look.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This, sadly, has quite a lot of truth to it.

Another possibility is the black suit with both sleeves and trousers too long, black shirt and either a white tie or a shiny satin tie in a bright colour, paired with the aforementioned, pointy-toed shoes.

BaldwinP

Reaction score
Heading to my first company ball at the end of august. I dont have a tux nor do I want to buy one for such a rare occasion. I want to win the prize for best dressed. Any suggestions on what I should wear?

What do you have?

It's probably not going to be judged by SF regulars so I would go for something which fits well and fits the mainstream idea of stylish and tasteful but also stands out a bit. There'll be plenty of men in medium grey suits, navy suits and charcoal suits, most of them notch lapels, with white or blue shirts and probably boring ties, and if you're just another one of them you won't stand out. Wear a more jazzy suit, shirt and tie combo and (especially with it being a ball) accessorize - pocket square, flower on the lapel or lapel pin, something. Polish your shoes. Comb your hair. And don't be disappointed if you don't win, it's completely subjective.

ovlov

Reaction score
If the judges are anything like my wife then this should do the trick...

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expect not to win. If you win you probably look like crap. do you really want to be the guy who wins this comp anyway?

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
Sydney siders rejoice! Uniqlo pop up store from May 3 to Sep

I'm sure that not long after, other brands will also have pop up stores too - i particularly look forward to C&J having a pop up store, followed by G&G, and Alden, I'm very interested in Alden. Also TOJ pop up store... then after that, cityrail will be run well, greater density living will be approved in inner city suburbs, and parking along main roads will be eliminated.

finally sydney wins at something

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
The best example of "dressed by women for women" is surely Pete and Manus on MKR.

Expect not to win. If you win you probably look like crap. do you really want to be the guy who wins this comp anyway?
Agreed. The winners at my work's Melbourne Cup function are generally wearing Fedoras and waistcoats.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
The prizes at company events so far have been pretty sweet so im thinking the prize will be awesome.

I'll need to peacock to be with a chance. Bright colours, accessories and ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads