• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanasi

Reaction score
Walking around Sydney at lunchtime today, so many guys are sporting the smart business casual with no tie.

Do you wear a tie to work even if it's not mandated?

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes. But I'm in the public service, where tracksuit pants are mandatory, and collared shirts are optional. Hence, my tie often feels like a noose around my neck..

Last edited:

SkyChild

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster here.
I am wondering where I can get flannel trousers in Melbourne, the type that are versatile and that can be worn with many
different blazers/sportscoats and knitted jumpers. Would I be better to go to a store to get it or get one of the MTM suit shops like suit shop
to make some up for me.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wondering where I can get flannel trousers in Melbourne, the type that are versatile and that can be worn with many
different blazers/sportscoats and knitted jumpers. Would I be better to go to a store to get it or get one of the MTM suit shops like suit shop
to make some up for me.

My best recommendation is Oscar Hunt MTM, but it all depends on how much you're willing to spend?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. And Public Transport. And cycling.

My wife owes a car (or maybe we both do not) as she needs it for work. Me - I got two legs, two wheels and a Myki (plus cash for taxis when I gets too late/ I get too drunk).

Cabcharge is the answer, had an account for nigh on 20 years. Originally I would get copies of dockets and think 'Christ was I that pissed' so much easier with plastic.

Last edited:

SkyChild

Reaction score
What would a ball park figure for Oscar hunt be?
Also what type of trousers do people wear with shirt+tie+sportscoat/blazer?
I have seen quite a few photos on blogs such as Poormansmillions or Ethandesu(?) where they look real sharp with the trouser and jacket or trouser and sweater combo. I am also curious where you lads get your jackets and trousers, if you know of any threads beyond this one I would find it helpful.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In regards to my question earlier, I wasn't very clear.

Whats the heaviest weight fabric (wool) you would wear in, say, high 20's?

Is 10-12 Oz pushing it?

Mostly in an air-con environment, but don't want to be sweating if I walk a few hundred meters to lunch etc.

LJ, that's a bit of a difficult question, for a few reasons:

- Not all fabrics are alike. A tightly-woven sheer worsted cloth would be hotter to wear than a fresco or open-weave cloth of the same weight;
- An unlined jacket is, of course, cooler than a lined jacket so construction makes a difference, too; and
- Different people feel heat differently - some will be sweating up a storm just wearing a shirt while others are quite comfortable wearing a jacket.

Fresco (and fresco-like) cloth that I've seen has varied in weight from 8oz to 15oz per yard (about 250g to 450g or so per metre). I don't know that I'd want to wear the heaviest cloth, but I think that I'd quite comfortable wear something in the 10 to 12oz range, particularly if it's largely unlined as the air will pass through it quite well.

Rene of Deer Style in Brisbane has access to J&J Minnis fresco cloth but he also has cloth of pretty much identical weave that he can make up for quite a bit less than the Minnis fresco cloth, too.

Last edited:

andrewjamesdean

Reaction score

Vw gti or vw R? I've owned both and great cars, the R is better than the a250.

I'd rank it gti, a250,R,S3,A45amg

Alternatively the new wrx is quite refined in that same market. I was impressed with the new level of build quality vs price

I spent a good couple of weeks looking into some of these cars, and ended up putting my deposit down on an S3 sportback. I'm coming from a GTI35, and was pretty keen to buy something other than a VW this time around.

The Audi and A45 were the logical choices, and took both for a spin (not a fan at all of the M135i). The Merc sounded incredible and was fun to drive, but I decided I would have found it difficult to drive every day - it was a bit too brutal in terms of ride comfort. The S3 however as perfect. Beautiful inside, understated, yet still growls when you plant the foot.

The fully optioned S3 still came out cheaper than the Merc, although to be fair the vast majority of the S3's options are standard in the A45.

Now I just need to patiently wait until delivery in September...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I spent a good couple of weeks looking into some of these cars, and ended up putting my deposit down on an S3 sportback. I'm coming from a GTI35, and was pretty keen to buy something other than a VW this time around.

I could be wrong, but aren't the Audi A3/S3 series and the VW Golf essentially the same car with a different body on top?

andrewjamesdean

Reaction score

I could be wrong, but aren't the Audi A3/S3 series and the VW Golf essentially the same car with a different body on top?

They certainly share a lot and are based off the same platform, but the S3 feels streets ahead of the GTI (and so it would want to!)

Sartorial Scum

Reaction score
to make some up for me.
Depends what your budget is I suppose. Suit Shop have great cloths to pick from so you can't really go wrong there. Then again if you can buy OTR and find something you like thats great as well.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This works great when there is no station fire that shuts down 5 train lines for half a day

Haha...so that would be most days then.

Running! Good cardio, maintain health fat level, good way to challenge oneself. I am fairly certain running to my work is faster than car/public transport during morning and arvo peak hours

Yes and you are getting something out of your commute. Mine is too short to read anything if I take the tram so better to cycle.

Walking around Sydney at lunchtime today, so many guys are sporting the smart business casual with no tie.  

Do you wear a tie to work even if it's not mandated? 

Yes. My office has no mandated dress code but it is reasonable smart. Ties are rareish but I like them so I wear one (at a time). Would imagine others here to be in the same boat.

Happy to go tieless when I feel like it too, though sometimes a suit without a tie looks off so you have to pick the right combination.

kayhill

Reaction score
I have seen quite a few photos on blogs such as Poormansmillions or Ethandesu(?) where they look real sharp with the trouser and jacket or trouser and sweater combo. I am also curious where you lads get your jackets and trousers, if you know of any threads beyond this one I would find it helpful.

I think navy chinos (to go with lighter jackets), light-grey flannel/garbadine pants to go with darker jackets work well.

Woollen navy trousers can be a bit too dressy though, but I like grey/beige cotton chinos too. Oh and linen is always nice for the Australian climate -- so long as you don't mind the creasing.

On an unrelated note, I've written up a quick review of Tokyo shopping on my blog -- check it out if you're interested, particularly if anyone is planning to head over any time soon.

A few pics:

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does depend a lot on how experienced/confident you are with clothes and what you already have in your wardrobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics