1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

+1

Except I'm still on plain white squares.

2. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

So my choices are;
    - Pay rediculous Aust prices for Loake shoes
    - use a UK freight forwarder for Loake purchases
    - say FU Loake and buy better quality brand online,
    Either way I think the net effect would be Loake would lose business over all.

2 people like this.
  3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Interestingly, there's a local shop here in Canberra that has Loake 1880's for $400 - less than 5% more than the price from Herring. Still more than I'd be willing to pay for a pair of Loakes, but impressive nonetheless.

5. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

^ Thats actually pretty good. Ive really only compared them to DJ's. Woeful range and expensive, sent me online. I dont mind paying marginally more given that you can try on and therefore remove sizing risk. But many retailers take the piss.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Who and where? Know DJ's carry some but have minuscule selection at the best of times.

7. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Aussies (especially Canberrans) I need some help! I am starting a full time suit job in a few weeks but I am struggling to find suitable shirts...

I've got an athletic build. My neck is around 40cm (16 inches) and have I broad shoulders but my waist is only 83cm (33 inches). Every shirt I can find that fits my neck does not fit my waist, arms or chest. For example, the 40cm neck slim fit at TM Lewin is made for those with a 91cm waist and 107cm chest (huge).

My options seem to be:

* Buy custom shirts from MJ Bale from $150 per shirt.
    * Local popular tailor to make shirts from $179 per shirt (Braddon Tailors).
    * Or... go down the MTM route with one of the cheaper companies.

First two options might be just outside my budget as I need at least 5 shirts. Issue with the third option is I can't find any MTM places that have a storefront in Canberra to measure me up. Scared to put my own measurements in, don't trust myself. Also not sure which MTM store to use, there are mixed review on all of them.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Have you tried TM Lewin's "fitted" and "super fitted" shirts?

Both the "fitted" and "super fitted" shirts have a slimmer cut than the "slim-fit" shirts, which is rather confusing.

I think that Brooks Brothers also stock an "extra slim fit" shirt. Their shirts have colour-coded labels and the green label inside the collar of the shirt denotes an extra slim fit shirt.

Alternatively, if your shirts are made out of plain cloth or made out of cloth with small-scale patterns, you may want to try having darts put in the back of the shirts. Normally, I'd shy away from recommending darted shirts as I don't really like them, but darts can certainly help to bring in excess cloth around the waist of a shirt.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Looking for recommendations on khakis chinos with a decent rise, medium - heavy weight, and with belt loops preferably.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Dude, TM Lewin provides pretty detailed measurements of their shirts:
    TM Lewin provide

http://www.tmlewin.com.au/Size-Chart-Tabs/Size-Chart-Tabs,en_AU,pg.html

Have you checked?

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I started with white linen. Now I mix it up with few prints. Again wear what you are most comfortable with.
    Today wearing this grey linen/ cotton suit by Stile Latino. Unlined and zero shoulder padding.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Thanks for the detailed post. My white linen one is about 13" . I only make a TV fold with this. But with silk bigger ones gives more opportunities to play with. I'm 34/36 suit size and find the silk 12" looks a bit flat. I do have few of them and wear them with suits that allows small pocket squares. Your collection is great. Here is my humble rotation [​IMG]

13. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Yep, I've checked the TM Lewin sizes. Their slim fit, fitted and super fitted shirts with 16" neck come with a 36" waist, which is too big.

Also been down the darts road. Last time I got shirts I got the 3 for $200 deal at MJ Bale and had the tailor adjust the sleeves and waist. Worked out to be around $130 per shirt but wasn't perfect, so would be better off going custom from the outset if I choose MJ Bale again.

Had a look at the BB website and the green slim fit is 16" neck, 43" waist, 40" chest (shirt measurements, not body measurements). That's getting close to what I need. One shirt that I have which fits well on the waist is 40". So 43" might be too big. They don't have a Canberra store for me to try them on either :(

Thanks though guys.

14. Mong

Mong Member

You could have your tailor make you one shirt to get the fit right, and then sent it to Luxire or someone similar so that they can replicate it and create a matching pattern. Their affiliate thread has a lot of good feedback from people who've sent well fitting garments to create a pattern. Might be the best of both worlds, but if you need your shirts quickly then this probably won't help you.

15. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Yeah. Need them relatively quickly. Won't have time for that but that's definitely what I am considering doing for future shirts.

How about Country Road shirts? Has anyone bought them? I noticed that their 40M shirts (40cm neck, 100cm chest and 84cm waist) might be a good fit. I've heard they're sub par quality though, but that's just from one source.

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Bills it's got to be Bills M2P

17. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

If you can get to one to try them on, I think that Brooks Brothers Milano chinos are quite good for the price, particularly on any sort of sale.

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

For those, it would be worth trying the Brooks outlet at Essendon DFO.

19. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

IIRC the TM Lewin site is misleading those are SHIRT measurements.

20. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Ahh, thanks for that. I'll go into Myer (for TM Lewin) and Country Road tomorrow. Hopefully they will have something.

What do you guys think of TM Lewin shirts? How would they compare to, say, Mj Bale?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.