Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessis

jessis Senior member

Went to some GQ shindig last night. Dead set, should have seen the crap getting about. Super skinny suits, horrible ties, narrow winklepickers. I think I saw one good fit all night.
    What about the ladies?

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Counted at least 5 pocket squares on Collins St over lunch ... name yourselves!
    I did see someone on Collins st in Docklands in a light grey suit and a pair of what looked like either 1) Loake Knightsbridge 2) C&J Rosemoor in brown. I also tried on some Zegna suits at DJ's. $1300 for a suit. The Milano fit actually looks good on me. It's funny how busy the business sections are in a sale..especially the shirts downstairs. I noted that the Thomas Pink slim-fit marcella evening shirt is on sale for $130.... tempting for my mate's up-coming black-tie wedding but I think my wife would kill me.

3. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

What about the ladies?

There were two Victoria secret models there. Jessica Gomes could wear a paper bag held together with tooth picks and i'd lose a left one for her

4. jessis

jessis Senior member

There were two Victoria secret models there. Jessica Gomes could wear a paper bag held together with tooth picks and i'd lose a left one for her
    This information is a nice change of pace from our usual fashion focus. Thank you Jaypee. BTW, how does one get a guernsey to a GQ event!!??

5. lennier

lennier Senior member

That's encouraging - I had thought he was one of those newsreaders who dressed along the lines I was having a gripe about? I generally don't watch news on the commerical stations.
    He's normally in the category you mentioned a lot more than he's not, which is why I noticed. Be interesting to see if the improvement was a one-off.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

What I hate most of all are the newsreaders and TV presenters with dark (often black) suits, white shirts and high contrast, fugly, ties. Yuck! Eddie McGuire comes to mind, although no doubt there are worse offenders.
    I think this is due to the dazzling strobing effects certain checks and stripes tend to have when broadcast on TV - hence the desire for dark, high contrast outfits that film well.

7. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I think this is due to the dazzling strobing effects certain checks and stripes tend to have when broadcast on TV - hence the desire for dark, high contrast outfits that film well.

Still no excuse for black suits and fugly ties! Often the ties are nasty stripped patterns. Ian Henderson (ABC news, Victoria) sometimes wears mid grey suits, which look fine on TV, I think.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

A quick review of the Cure SOH 1/6

Exiting the Wayback machine in Elizabeth Street, I noticed that my docs had changed to Church Brisbane, my King Geee work trousers grey of course were now BB Grey Gaberdines and my St Marks white cotton shirt was now a H&H blue gingham check. The orphan suit jacket had transformed into a blue silk/linen blazer. Strange Skin Deep has moved two blocks what is going on here?

But what wait "Gott un Himmel" what is all this excess baggage I am carrying. I turned and the Doctor smiled, sorry forgot to set the weight reduction program. Merde!

Still the pre dinner meal at Aria beat a souvlaki in Fitsroy Street any day of the week.

The crowd was quite mixed age wise, noticed a few ageing post punk rockers in the audience, and a predominance of sliver foxes and some very nice looking young vixen, opps better not let the wife see me enjoying the eye candy.

Mind you the bloke who sat near us did go and buy a new pair of Doc's for the concert, his old ones were in his mums garage he told me.

And then The Cure straight into it, 10.15 Saturday Night. And they kept it up then for the next 3 and half hours on stage. !7 Seconds was by far the standout. Never seen a SSO crowd behave this way I must admit. And then after an encore of about 45min it was over and it was one of the best rock shows I have seen in years.

On more sartorial matters went to DJ's the place was empty and there was not much that grabbed my attention one Christian Lacroix tie but sadly at a $185 it was beyond my reach.

9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Strange Skin Deep has moved two blocks what is going on here?

....but was otherwise EXACTLY the same!

Sounds like a great night.

Ahh - the memories. Had you bumped into me on your trip back to the early-mid Eighties, you would have found me in suede winklepickers, black, tight Levi Californians and maybe a pale pink penguin shirt (top button done up, of course). Perhaps an exploding head JJJ t-shirt, maybe a (west) German army surplus jacket thrown over the top. I might also have had oversized wayfarers on. Hair - short back and sides, with a very very long fringe and dyed very dark.

In other words, had I come back with you in the Wayback machine and landed in Darlinghurst or Surry Hils circa 2011, I think I would probably fit right in with today's mob ...but I would have much better taste in music...and I would have a working knowledge of MS-DOS, but be not able to send a text...

10. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

Quick question from a noob.

Can I wear a dark charcoal suit to a cocktail party? (Blue shirt, dark tie)?

Recommendations/appropriate combinations welcome!

11. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

^ all good ...do it

12. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Interesting articles in today's The Australian supplement "Wish", the "bespoke" issue all about new breed of Aussie bespoke and customisation services, history of Saville Row etc.

13. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Interesting articles in today's The Australian supplement "Wish", the "bespoke" issue all about new breed of Aussie bespoke and customisation services, history of Saville Row etc.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. It's Savile Row, with one "l" - sorry to be such a pedent!

14. elvish

elvish Senior member

It's Savile Row, with one "l" - sorry to be such a pedent!

I think it's important to tell people because there are brands which claim to be Saville Row by spelling it incorrectly.
    Ogilvie in Brisbane stocks one.

15. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. It's Savile Row, with one "l" - sorry to be such a pedent!

That'll teach me to rely on iphone spell checker / auto correct [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.