1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Sure, but I don't think you can or should seperate them - especially for something at that price.

Part of the experience of bespoke or tailored is the service, and the fact that rightly (nor wrongly) you expect to get treated well for something you're about to impart 4 figures of coin for.

It's like paying for a business class flight and claiming that the seat was great but the service was crap. The two go hand in hand.

And quite frankly, unless I'm missing something - good service should be agiven. It doesn't take much to be respectful of people's money and time at the very least.

1 person likes this.
  2. aussieboy

aussieboy Well-Known Member

Why?

3. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

It's a weird thing this sort of psychology - I'll happily* pay $1.5k to $1.8k for a suit and I can see the value in the purchase, but can't get my head around spending more than $200 on a pair of odd trousers.

I know there's no logic to it, but I can't shake it.

*happily as I only seem to buy a suit every few years (no need to wear regularly) so whilst the cost per wear is high, the overall impost on budgets is minimal.

4. aussieboy

good point.

yeh, even though I've previously been interested in commissioning a pair from him. i dont think i could part with that much money for pants. but that's just me. i prob spend more money on other things that others might think is unusual. each to their own.

5. aussieboy

yeh, i agree.

unfortunately, it doesnt seem like Ambrosi has had to deal with any sort of consequence from his poor service. he seems to be more popular than ever thanks to the Armoury.

one thing is for sure, if i were to ever get something like this it would be through one of the trunk shows. he seems to look after those customers well, for obvious reasons.

6. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

There's a premium to purchase items that are rare. Those trousers don't seem that rare to me.

7. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Been trying to think of a good comparison for this topic of 1300+ trousers, the best I can come up with is that its like fine dining. It's just not for everyone and individual experiences differ because of its artisanal nature and expectations set depending on where you are on the wealth / income spectrum. Also,social hierarchy - persons of influence / wealth will get better service even though the cost is the same to all, by virtue of future benefits (real or perceived) i.e. more customers, repeat business

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The interesting thing about Ambrosi is that he doesn't seem to discriminate - the only thing that seems to get him to produce his trousers on time is partnering with some other company in a trunk show, such as The Armoury.

Other than that, you can be a first-time customer, you can be a repeat customer who's purchased 10 pairs of trousers from him (see Mafoofan as an example), you can be a blogger (also see Mafoofan, see A Timeless Man), you can be someone of influence on a place like SF and you still won't get your trousers for the better part of a year (or more) and he'll still ignore your e-mails.

9. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Then to that I say he's just like Tony Bilson (Sydney chef), great overpriced food, woeful businessman

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Only rare if you have already paid for them.

2 people like this.
  11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Disagree with this having worked in kitchens producing food for A list restaurants and being a diner at said establishments.

Fine dinning is and hasn't been the purview of the wealthy for years. Fine dinning has become a lot more democratic and I find in terms of experience its your interaction with the waiter, beyond them working for tips, is how your treated in terms of service.

There is a social hierachy at work but its much more diffuse today for example the crowd at an Australian Gallery opening I went to last week was different, different dress codes, taste ect to the crowd that was at a Mahler concert the night before. That is not to say there is overlap in terms of cultural experience and appreciation. Money is not an indicator of class, taste or Je ne sais quio.

I think people respond more to genuine displays of panache these days.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Andrew @TimelessMan is a member on here - he may want to respond to your observation.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

You're kidding, right?

I know he is, and he's more than welcome to.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. aussieboy

Nope

15. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

For those referring to the trousers as not bespoke, do you mean that you don't believe the fit is exacting enough, or that the silhouette of all Ambrosi trousers is not-negotiable? If it's the latter, then this is not uncommon at all for bespoke, for example, Anderson and Sheppard would not agree to cut a sports coat like what Andrew is wearing.

16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I know Andrew, not amazingly well but we've met 5 or 6 times and he is a really nice bloke and his writing style is very much like how he is in real life which I like much better than nice guys in real life that are iHoles on the net..

Anyway I'm glad he got the trousers in the end, though the fit to me looks mediocre for the premium paid. Perhaps he has put on weight in the 12 months it took to make them but the pleats splay open quite badly and the seat looks tight, both symptoms of needing the hips relaxed at a guess.

Personally I wouldn't have commissioned anything in the first place given his well documented service issues.

2 people like this.
  17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

HC, I agree that Andrew seems like a really nice fellow. I've corresponded with him a little bit and he's very polite, thoughtful and pleasant.

The trousers are tight, although I've noticed that Andrew seems to like slim-cut trousers and shirts that are tighter than I'd personally like. I also noticed the pleats pulling open, even when Andrew was standing still without his hands (or anything else, by the look of it) in the pockets. I wouldn't expect that from a pair of bespoke trousers, particularly ones with the reputation and cost of Ambrosi's trousers.

I think that anyone who doesn't order from Ambrosi via a trunk show is asking for trouble unless they're very relaxed about the procedure and accept that they're likely to have to wait a year or so for their pents.

1 person likes this.
  18. aussieboy

I recall in one of Andrew's recent articles he made the comment that he had put on a bit of weight over the last year or so. I think it was his tailor Bijan that mentioned this actually.

That might explain some of the fit concerns people are having.

19. Styleternity

Styleternity Well-Known Member

Ah, @Journeyman I see that you read Derek's article as well.
    [​IMG]
    On an unrelated note, to those iGents from Brisbane, Homie & Jack of Trunk Tailors Melbourne are coming up to Qld in two weeks time. They specialize in a style of custom clothing which is just north of a traditional MTM service (by this I mean that the process may involve slightly more customization). Suiting swatched in very basic VBC fabrics starts at $1200. The Trunk guys also offer a regionally varied range of mills/re-sellers including Fox, Harrison's, Cacciopoli & Dugdale.

For fear of sounding like a shill I'll leave it at that. But, as you can see the details are on the image attached. If anyone has feedback or questions you're more than welcome to contact me directly. Alternatively we can just hash it out on this forum, I'm simply an interested 3rd party who thought I'd engage in a little do-gooding by making this known to our Qld members.

If you'd like a look at some other previous commissions they've done, images may be found on their website.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

No, I've just been reading this forum for much too long, so I've seen all the dramas surrounding "Salva" and his pents over the years!

Here are a few samples:

- The "commercial management" of Ambrosi (ie Salvatore) creating a thread on SF to apologise to people who've been waiting a long time for their pants, and then insulting customers including Mafoofan and calling him an oval-headed dwarf (yes, really):

http://www.styleforum.net/t/237582/ambrosi-napoli

- A thread started by Mafoofan, detailing his frustrations with Salva:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/285821/buyer-beware-and-avoid-ambrosi-napoli

- An earlier thread, in which a frustrated buyer notes that his trousers were allegedly shipped two months ago but have not arrived, no tracking details were provided, and Salva refuses to communicate at all:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/207672/is-salvatore-ambrosi-still-alive

There are probably other threads as well and in each of the above threads, other frustrated customers chime in with complaints about Ambrosi's appalling service.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.