• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diavolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
If you have the moxy to waltz into a store like Harrolds, try on a heap of Kiton and Tom Ford stuff and then leave without buying anything, then I tip my hat to you.

You might be able to get away with it once, but considering these places hardly have the foot traffic of Coles you will soon be made as "they try-on-no-buy guy" and treated accordingly.

They're sales assistants, who cares what they think. One visit would be enough to try on a few different jackets in a couple of different brands to see what suits you. People do try things on and not buy them you know. You don't have to spend hours in there.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The value bricks and mortar stores is in the fact that you can try it on and get a perfect fit - especially with something as meticulous as a suit.

In having said that, the value sydney stores represent is very overpriced.

Sydguy

Reaction score
This thread has become the de facto Aussie alert thread I think. A specific thread would be nice though! One for sales only info, or the low down on a particular store. Keeping this one for a broader discussion.

I personally could not roll into a top of the line shop and try a whole buch of items on and then remember what to order online. Most likely I would stuff something up and be out of pocket in the long run. Matching what you see in the shop with something online can be tricky.

The recent exception to this was a pair of Levi501's (Not STF) which were AUD129 retail in Myer/Levi Shop in Chatswood, until recently when they jumped up to AUD169 but were 30% off. I tried them on and then ebayed them for USD58 incl postage. Jeans were exactly the same so I understand we pay through the nose for cothes.

This is why I am very pleased to grab the Herringbone suits, I had tried them on and was waiting on a bonus to come through prior to buying one, now I have two suits for less than the original one would have cost.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
M&R Tailoring (there is a thread here) has done a few alterations for me in the past. I never had a a sleeve shortening from the shoulder but I had sides taken in all the way to the shoulder and that required sleeve removal. I quite like the outcome.

I should post a full review and some before and after pictures when I'm feeling less lazy.

I have heard good things about them and mentioned them myself earlier in this thread.

Diavolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sydguy
This thread has become the de facto Aussie alert thread I think. A specific thread would be nice though! One for sales only info, or the low down on a particular store. Keeping this one for a broader discussion.

I personally could not roll into a top of the line shop and try a whole buch of items on and then remember what to order online. Most likely I would stuff something up and be out of pocket in the long run. Matching what you see in the shop with something online can be tricky.

The recent exception to this was a pair of Levi501's (Not STF) which were AUD129 retail in Myer/Levi Shop in Chatswood, until recently when they jumped up to AUD169 but were 30% off. I tried them on and then ebayed them for USD58 incl postage. Jeans were exactly the same so I understand we pay through the nose for cothes.

This is why I am very pleased to grab the Herringbone suits, I had tried them on and was waiting on a bonus to come through prior to buying one, now I have two suits for less than the original one would have cost.

I take your point. It can be trial and error in the beginning - and expensive with postage returning stuff. But once you are confident what you are ordering will be right it pays off handsomely in the long run.

jobro

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the other citys but in Perth the army surplus stores have the biggest and cheapest selection of levis, notably Wellington surplus store.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably not the best place for this question but I didnt want to start a new thread for this.

I am from India and was thinking of going to Cairns and Whitsunday Islands for 10 days for a holiday.

From the comments of some members here and the Indian media I get the feeling that Indians are not welcome in Australia and quite looked down upon and the resentment toward Indians makes Australia an unsafe country for Indians.

What are your thoughts ? Is this ill feeling limited to a few fringe people or is it a more general feeling.

As for me I want to visit the Great Barrier Reef but I also don't want to go someplace where I am not welcome let alone risk any chance of violence towards me or my family.

In case it matters, we are a mid level tourists who generally budget 500 USD per day including hotels, food and sightseeing.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Absolute bollocks. Aussies are some of the friendliest people on the planet.. you'll have a great time

Originally Posted by aj_del
This is probably not the best place for this question but I didnt want to start a new thread for this.

I am from India and was thinking of going to Cairns and Whitsunday Islands for 10 days for a holiday.

From the comments of some members here and the Indian media I get the feeling that Indians are not welcome in Australia and quite looked down upon and the resentment toward Indians makes Australia an unsafe country for Indians.

What are your thoughts ? Is this ill feeling limited to a few fringe people or is it a more general feeling.

As for me I want to visit the Great Barrier Reef but I also don't want to go someplace where I am not welcome let alone risk any chance of violence towards me or my family.

In case it matters, we are a mid level tourists who generally budget 500 USD per day including hotels, food and sightseeing.

Sydguy

Reaction score
Ditto all that - Indians are most welcome, you will not see/feel anything but love!

laphroaig

Reaction score
There has been violence against Indian students in Sydney and Melbourne. Look through Australian newspapers if you want examples. There are many reasons for this but in general we have a history of always hating the latest growing ethnic group in the country. But you've got virtually zero chance of being treated badly in the Whitsundays or Cairns.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As others have said, you don't need to worry.

There have been a few, very unfortunate incidents.
However, I think that they have been blown far out of proportion by the media.
Furthermore, any incidents that have taken place have (to the best of my memory) been down in Melbourne, not up in North Qld.

If you head out to the Whitsundays, I highly recommend Hayman Island. Great resort and great restaurants.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
It baffles me why you guys consider bricks and mortar stores which have nothing of quality to offer. Herringbone is okay and, if you like it fine, but at $1200 or something retail compared to Caruso at ehaberdasher for $600 odd, there should be an easy choice. Caruso is 10 times the suit a Herringbone is. You may have to wait and be patient for stock but you can email Mike and ask about what's coming in. Even at sale price Herringbone at $500 is not a good deal compared with the Carusos. Off-shore made to measure will inevitably lead to grief.
You can buy a Kiton bone linen jacket at ehaber for under $1000 for goodness sake, something that Harrolds would charge $4500 for.
Once you know what fits you check the buying and selling forum as well. Men's Corner on Ebay has brilliant Stile Latino suits (made by an off-shoot of Attolini) for $899. They are better than Corneliani etc by far.

I've bought a heck of a lot of stuff on the internet - Caruso, Brioni, Borrelli, RL Polo, RL Purple Label, Corneliani, Canali, and probably a few things that I've forgotten about.

However, one thing to remember about shopping over the internet is that it is very rare to encounter a place with the same range that a bricks and mortar store possesses. eHaberdasher is great and I've bought a couple of things there but they don't a have a lot of different models and the Caruso suits that they have in stock are not "staples" such as a standard charcoal or a standard navy. They don't have a full suite of sizes, either.

So, whilst you can get great deals on the internet, I think that it is foolish to call other people silly for not taking advantage of the internet. It's not just about the price - it is about what you want at the time - the style of the suit, the colour of the suit, whether you want a wide variety, whether you want a waistcoat, whether you have a strange build and want to try things on first, and so on.

Also, bear in mind that just because you try on a Caruso or RL Polo suit in a store, the model that you then purchase over the internet will not necessarily be the same cut as most manufacturers have a variety of blocks that they use.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In general Australia is not a racist county. We do have racists here but most of them just sit on their couch and mumble at the TV. Occasionally one or two get a rush to the head and ring up the radio or run for parliament. But it doesn't last long.

You must remember that Indians have been in Australia a very very long time. They are nothing new. Indians are well establish here and well respected. In the field of medicine many of our distinguished Professors, Researchers and Surgeons are Indian /Australians. Their biggest problem is which side to support in the cricket.

A very large proportion of our health system is staffed by Indian /Australians. I've worked along side Indians for over 30 years. Indians and Australian have a lot in common - the english language - with various accents, a distinct British influence in clothing and manners (where we have any manners at all), an understanding of British humour and an ex colonial past. Although we haven’t as yet been mature enough to become republic.

The thing that is different in the last 5 years or so is that we have had a huge influx of young - 18 - 30 year old Indian students study at sub tertiary level private colleges and using some certification, such as hairdressing ( because we allegedly have a shortage of hairdressers) and such to gain residency.

Many of these students have been sold substandard courses of study, at exorbitant fees and been ripped off in accommodation and work and false promises of residency and Visas - mostly, sadly, ripped off and exploited by fellow Indians.

There was some widely publicised attacks on Indians in Melbourne over the past 12 months. Unfortunately because much of the publicity was fanned by a self appointed spokesperson, with his own political agendas. He been disowned by a large part of the local Indian population. The media, both here and india sensationalised it without facts.

At least one of the murders was by other Indians and related to labour rackets and criminals (Indians) falling out.

Others occurred in suburbs where most well dressed people (and the Indians do seem generally above average fashionably dressed) would have not have walked around midnight.

At least one of the attacks was by a gang who committed a total of around 10+ attacks within a two week period of which less than a few of the attacks were on Indians. One of those attacked very badly was Dr. Mukesh Haikerwal a Melbourne, Australia GP and former federal president of the Australian Medical Association (AMA) - an important political position in Australia . He was and is well respected. He is on record as saying he didn’t believe his attack was racially motivated.

In perhaps the most famous case where a worker was killed – walking to work around midnight in a suburb with some reputation for violence - I understand that those arrested and charged are part of a gang of African youths who have a similar record of violence against a wide range of people in those suburbs.

This is not to deny there hasn’t been any racial aggression or violence but it is much less prevalent than a few headlines would suggest.

In general Australians like Indians a lot and share a passion for cricket and a sense of humour. .The biggest insult at present seems to be that we have managed to get Shane Warne to live mostly in India. A win for us - a loss for you. I’m sorry.

Why restrict yourself to Cairns and environs – I don’t like Queensland much and anyway haven’t you got better beaches in India?

The worst violence you come across up in QLD will be fat white men and women slobbing around in shorts and flip flops half drunk asking you about cricket whilst eating something greasy.

They may also assault your senses by bending over in front of you and showing their arse cracks – the hairiest ones will be the males but you can’t always count on it in QLD.

They will universally have tattoos where they can find a relatively flat bit of pale skin – over their arse – whale tales, arse antlers, slag tags or pseudo chinese characters or mock tribal ink on their arms.

Do stay way from those with tattoos on their necks or foreheads. And I’d give a wide berth to those with handmade tatts on their knuckles spelling H_A_T_E and /or L_O_V_E.

I dunno but I’d reckon $500USA =$550aud – that should be enough to do as much as you want. It’s far more than I’d ever spend in QLD.

Welcome and Good luck.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
In general Australia is not a racist county. We do have racists here but most of them just sit on their couch and mumble at the TV. Occasionally one or two get a rush to the head and ring up the radio or run for parliament. But it doesn't last long.

You must remember that Indians have been in Australia a very very long time. They are nothing new. Indians are well establish here and well respected. In the field of medicine many of our distinguished Professors, Researchers and Surgeons are Indian /Australians. Their biggest problem is which side to support in the cricket.

A very large proportion of our health system is staffed by Indian /Australians. I've worked along side Indians for over 30 years. Indians and Australian have a lot in common - the english language - with various accents, a distinct British influence in clothing and manners (where we have any manners at all), an understanding of British humour and an ex colonial past. Although we haven't as yet been mature enough to become republic.

The thing that is different in the last 5 years or so is that we have had a huge influx of young - 18 - 30 year old Indian students study at sub tertiary level private colleges and using some certification, such as hairdressing ( because we allegedly have a shortage of hairdressers) and such to gain residency.

Many of these students have been sold substandard courses of study, at exorbitant fees and been ripped off in accommodation and work and false promises of residency and Visas - mostly, sadly, ripped off and exploited by fellow Indians.

There was some widely publicised attacks on Indians in Melbourne over the past 12 months. Unfortunately because much of the publicity was fanned by a self appointed spokesperson, with his own political agendas. He been disowned by a large part of the local Indian population. The media, both here and india sensationalised it without facts.

At least one of the murders was by other Indians and related to labour rackets and criminals (Indians) falling out.

Others occurred in suburbs where most well dressed people (and the Indians do seem generally above average fashionably dressed) would have not have walked around midnight.

At least one of the attacks was by a gang who committed a total of around 10+ attacks within a two week period of which less than a few of the attacks were on Indians. One of those attacked very badly was Dr. Mukesh Haikerwal a Melbourne, Australia GP and former federal president of the Australian Medical Association (AMA) - an important political position in Australia . He was and is well respected. He is on record as saying he didn't believe his attack was racially motivated.

In perhaps the most famous case where a worker was killed - walking to work around midnight in a suburb with some reputation for violence - I understand that those arrested and charged are part of a gang of African youths who have a similar record of violence against a wide range of people in those suburbs.

This is not to deny there hasn't been any racial aggression or violence but it is much less prevalent than a few headlines would suggest.

In general Australians like Indians a lot and share a passion for cricket and a sense of humour. .The biggest insult at present seems to be that we have managed to get Shane Warne to live mostly in India. A win for us - a loss for you. I'm sorry.

Why restrict yourself to Cairns and environs - I don't like Queensland much and anyway haven't you got better beaches in India?

The worst violence you come across up in QLD will be fat white men and women slobbing around in shorts and flip flops half drunk asking you about cricket whilst eating something greasy.

They may also assault your senses by bending over in front of you and showing their arse cracks - the hairiest ones will be the males but you can't always count on it in QLD.

They will universally have tattoos where they can find a relatively flat bit of pale skin - over their arse - whale tales, arse antlers, slag tags or pseudo chinese characters or mock tribal ink on their arms.

Do stay way from those with tattoos on their necks or foreheads. And I'd give a wide berth to those with handmade tatts on their knuckles spelling H_A_T_E and /or L_O_V_E.

I dunno but I'd reckon $500USA =$550aud - that should be enough to do as much as you want. It's far more than I'd ever spend in QLD.

Welcome and Good luck.

Pretty accurate summation except for the ridiculous republic = maturity comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads