1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

I had some Hush Puppies back in the days (not now because you know most of them are pretty hideous), and they were pretty hard wearing and comfortable. Might try Caterpillars some day, given they're all manufactured by Wolverine anyway.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Deliveryman

Deliveryman New Member

So I'm starting as a grad auditor at a Big 4 firm soon and it'll be the first time I've needed a professional wardrobe. At the moment I have a Navy TM Lewin suit that I like, a charcoal TM Lewin suit that I bought on sale and dislike. 4-5 dress shirts in white, blue, stripes, windowpanes. Dark brown Florsheim cap toes and gaudy black pointed Florsheim. Matching belts and various ties, cuff links and pocket squares from over the years. I also have a black overcoat.

So with a grand or two, where would you start improving upon this wardrobe? I'm also going to the States at Christmas. What can be had there for a steal compared to here?

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Before leaving Sydney, I strongly recommend that you pop in to Voi (cnr King and Castlereagh) and check out their overcoats.

I scored a really terrific Sartore (Italian brand) overcoat in a VBC herringbone tweed there for $800.

[​IMG]

it's also worth pointing out that Melbourne has not been all that much colder than Sydney so far this winter. However, next week the maximum temperatures are forecast to be substantially lower than Sydney's.

1 person likes this.
  4. Allegiance

Allegiance Member

Any advice on Oscar Hunt vs Bespoked for suits?

Also, anyone tried http://bootblack.com.au for Saphir products? Look local.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I plan to, although I probably won't read it immediately, but will rather wait a little while.

I re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird" a few months ago, having not read it since primary school, and was reminded of how good it is. Of course, in the "Mockingbird", Atticus Finch is set up as being an almost unbelievably good person, and it appears that, in "Watchman", he's either changed as he has aged or Scout now has the perspective of an adult and so can appreciate that her father is not the perfect person that she thought he was as a child.

Holy heck - $25 for a tin of shoe polish!

You can get them from Valmour in France for less than $8 per tin and the more you order, the more the price decreases per unit.

The downside, of course, is that shipping costs $40.

6. Allegiance

Allegiance Member

$8 might be for a 50ml, I checked out Valour and the 100ml Pate De Luxe is 11.35€ ($17 AUD) but Bootblack is $25. Of course shipping is cheaper for Bootblack. I'll have to work out how much I want to order and see what the tipping point is between the two. Any other suggestions for a place online?

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Recent Purchases: tickets to Japan.

3 people like this.
  8. Allegiance

Allegiance Member

This year is the first year in 4 years I haven't been :( Where in Japan you going?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Half your luck Mrs GF and I just bought a house and survived moving into it.

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Asked before and will try again - has anyone found somewhere that will ship you a Barbour waxed hood? All that stores that sell them don't seem to deliver to Aus.

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I just ordered two Napolis in a 42L. Everything fits perfectly except the sleeves which are a full inch too long. The goddamn working cuffs ruin any reasonable chance of having the sleeves fixed. Fortunately suitsupply has free returns. It's very frustrating that suitsupply's styling on what is supposed to be their most conservative suit means something that is a traditional suit length comes with sleeves for someone two inches taller. And there are enough D'Marge type readers who equate working cuffs to a bespoke quality garment that Suitsupply has them as standard.

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

What's especially annoying about this is that if you sized down, the sleeves would probably fit, and the body of the jacket would be way too tight - i.e. exactly like all the model photos on their website. In other words, the cut is deliberate.

If there's any one outstanding flaw with SuSu, it is this. However, I don't see it changing any time soon, as that overly-tight look is simply a reflection of prevailing fashion trends, which probably accounts for a large part of their commercial success.

Women have been complaining about this for years: the way fashion caters overwhelmingly towards the thin. Now it's painfully obvious in menswear too.

SuSu should at least offer the option of ordering suits without sleeve buttonholes, allowing the client to add their own.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I will probably end up reading out of curiosity, but I'm not in any hurry. I can't forget that this was a rejected manuscript. Not only that, Lee's rewrite of it was also rejected before she came up with her masterpiece. Just think, if Go Set A Watchman had been published in the first place, we may never have seen Mockingbird. If nothing else, this book tells us the value of good, strong editing.

In comparing the two books, it needs to be borne in mind which was first. Clearly Atticus started out as a flawed man, then Lee re-drew him as a saintly figure through her child's eyes.

1 person likes this.
  14. meister

meister Senior member

Voi has fantastic stuff and you can bargain with them

15. California Dreamer

I'd probably start with a pair of conservative black shoes, which will alternate nicely with the dark brown captoes.

If you're unhappy with the charcoal suit, I'd probably go for another charcoal suit that you like better. Charcoal is a staple, and I'd always want a good charcoal suit.

Not keen on windowpane shirts in your professional setting; I reckon pale blue, white and maybe ecru, pale pink and pale lavender as nice options. I think 4-5 shirts is a bit to few for a good rotation; I'd like at least five shirts so as not to repeat in the same week.

So I thiink the biggest bang for your budget would be a charcoal grey suit from Suit Shop and a couple of pale coloured solid shirts to go with it, and a pair of black captoes from Herring or Pediwear.

If you have a liitle more to spend, especially if your firm does business casual Fridays, I'd plump for a navy sports coat and a pair of grey slacks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  16. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced Balmacaan?

17. blahman

blahman Senior member

I will just see it as characters reused, in an alternate universe etc. since watchman was written first and was not intended to be a sequel as Mockingbird is more a rework with some ideas originating from Watchman and obviously will contain inconsistencies between the 2 books.

18. blahman

blahman Senior member

Suits now days are just not cool without working cuff buttons.

19. California Dreamer

Speaking as an op shop hound, functioning cuff buttons are a blight on my existence. I would go so far as to say they are unsporting and inconsiderate. Depriving charities of sales; how uncool!

20. Styleternity

Styleternity Well-Known Member

Been re-reading the last few pages of the thread...

Sydney forumites - is it fair to say there is no place locally where Saphir products may be purchased at a reasonable price? I'd rather grab something when I'm down next week as opposed to the fairly unpredictable wait I'd need to suffer through for an online buy.

Good to hear both Syd & Melb are virtually the same temperature wise these days...my wardrobe is ill equipped to handle much more than what is 'brisk' down south atm :embar:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.