1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

just saw that adriano carbone is moving down to a ground floor shop in the block arcade.

3. tomee

tomee Senior member

designer sunglasses on catch of the day if anyone is interested.

4. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Ha - these are the pair that I own!

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'm looking at that pair of Tom Ford Hudsons, but I'm not paying $150 for those :angry:

Still quite content with my pair of Ted Bakers I got for $20, though I do want to buy a pair with polarised or glass instead of plastic lens.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

hi mate, any good sweaters shouldn’t be hanged. As they will stretch and loose the shape. Try folding them. Delicate sweaters (Marino wool / cashmere) fold them with flat tissue papers.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depends what you want. I only wear over the calf socks (OTC). I used to be able to get a good Australian brand (John Brown?) at Myers and others that were 100% wool or with a small bit of stretchy . They haven't been available for ages.

VICCEL socks which offers a SF (and AAAC) discount makes great otc socks in a few blends and in shoes sizes. In addition to being great sock they are unaccountably cheap.

Socks falling apart may be due to a few factors, how well made they are, materials, how hard you are on socks and washing/drying.

Some people are just hard on clothes - I'm not and still have socks from years ago - if they are wool and I like them I just darn them if they get a hole in heel or toe.

What sort of socks are you after and what do you mean by "fall apart"?

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Glory Box?

9. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Does anyone have any good tips for deterring moths?

I use cedar wood and a few moth balls, but is there any better tricks out there?

10. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

hmmm yeah they just get holes in them in the ankle, ball, toes etc no idea why... i might just be hard wearing!

i only want crew length (not what the technical term is... to the bottom of the calf...

viccel sounds like a goer.... thanks for the rec!!!

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I found that lavender and bay leaves are a good mix but last year I bought some zip lock plastic bags to store my jumpers in over summer

Howard Yount has good Marcoliani socks very well priced http://www.howardyount.com/collections/socks I ordered some on Friday and they arrived by Monday from the US great value considering DJ's have them at $34 a pair

12. Tano

Tano Senior member

Which colour would you recommend as staple casuals? For jeans and khaki chinos? I've only bought argyle blue

13. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

I think American tailors in Collins St also had some Marcoliani socks on sale today when i was in there. Can't remember the price though sorry.

for those chasing their C&J's only smaller sizes left now. was looking for some black oxfords in a 10.5E but I took too long to get around to their sale.

14. "6"

"6" Senior member

+1 on the Viccel socks. I have a couple of the 100% wool ones, very good value.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have a thing for loud socks red works fine with chinos, don't own a pair of jeans at present, mind you there are those times in life when you just need plain black.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  16. truevision

truevision Senior member

what is the best way to fold a suit jacket for travelling ?

17. Texmo

Texmo Active Member

18. Texmo

Texmo Active Member

Happy socks have a massive sale on now with free shipping

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

Grumpy customers enraged by bad service Jen Rosenberg July 29, 2011

WE ARE a nation of cranky consumers, increasingly intolerant of poor service and businesses are slow to catch on, a survey shows.

An American Express review of consumers in 10 countries found 33 per cent of Australian consumers ''think that companies are paying less attention to customer service in the current economy compared to other countries''.

Their displeasure ranked second only to that of Italians. Almost half the Australians surveyed (46 per cent) said companies did not make any extra effort to retain their business.

Given the competition from online retailers and people's inclination to save, the results were surprising, said Christine Wakefield, the vice-president of American Express World Service Australia.

She said businesses which cut staff in response to economic circumstances contributed to the problem.

''Some businesses see service as an investment because service can be as equally as important as the product they are selling. Other businesses just see service as something you can put on the chopping block and cut when times are tough.''

Skills shortages meant staff were no longer well trained and when customers did want to spend, they found it hard to find anyone to serve them, she said.

Sometimes you walked into a shop ready to spend and you could not ''find anyone to help you''. When they did, they were ''not equipped with the right knowledge''.

But Brett Whitford, the executive director of the Customer Service Institute of Australia, said having fewer staff did not have to mean poor performance and businesses must take a fresh approach to training. He cited the example of Virgin Airlines, which sought employees with a positive outlook rather than skills. It recruited for attitude then trained later.

The survey found Australians were overwhelmingly prepared to reward good service, with 75 per cent saying they had spent more with a company because of a history of good customer service, and 73 per cent saying they would spend more with a company that gave excellent service.

''If people feel they've got something more than they expected, they're happy to pay for it. If you give them something less than they expected, probably not,'' Ms Wakefield said.

Mr Whitford said the survey reflected cultural differences among the countries surveyed and that customer service was not highly valued in Australia.

''The key cultural difference is that Australians see providing service as a demeaning job … and people in other countries like India feel it's a privilege to provide service. In Britain there is more prestige in being in retail than in most countries.

''The people who run Tesco are really proud of that because that's what they want to do. It's not that they couldn't get into stockbroking - it's because they can choose retail as a career.''

Working with staff at call centres in India, Mr Whitford said he found there were regional differences in callers' expectations.

British callers were more insistent on correct procedures being followed while Australians loathed procedure and preferred a more flexible approach.

Ultimately, it was up to the company to provide a successful transaction but some responsibility also fell to the customer, Mr Whitford said.

''Really, it's up to the company to set the expectation - it's up to the consumer to be realistic.''

http://www.theage.com.au/national/grumpy-customers-enraged-by-bad-service-20110728-1i2e2.html

20. blahman

blahman Senior member

Thumbs up for fxh for posting interesting articles all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.